FREE Software

MoZedakos

Musician & Producer
Hi, I am a hip hop producer, but I also deal with reggae, dub, DnB & Jungle music. Do you know any free music program (not DAW) that I can use?

Thanks in advance,
MoZedakos

Mixing is 99% done in DAWs; mastering usually as well (although there are some specialized, decidedly-not-free, software packages for this). And yes, there are a gazillion of free plugins, both instruments and fx. Take a look at KvR's free plugin top lists for example.

Renoise is a pretty good bet if you're into sample based music production.
Demo version is gratuitous, to the point of full featured (minus rendering of tracks), and there are plenty of videos on their YT channel

But it's also a different kind of beast (vertical scrolling spreadsheet look - WTF?) and might not be your cup of tea for this reason,
but blazing fast once you wrap your head around it.

If you're looking for a more traditional sort of DAW, Cakewalk was recently rebranded and released under the Bandlab umbrella.
Might also be worth a look - it's deep and got all the benefits of a software that has been decades in development.

Last edited:
Camel Crusher is a great distortion / compression plugin that is free.
Ozone Imager is free and does wonders for creating stereo width.
OTT is another incredible compressor that is used by just about everyone.

Hi,

You can check out Soundfonts. And also visit musconv.com. Here you can move your playlist wherever you want! Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon Music, Slacker Radio, Tidal and more! Visit and try it now!

I'm guessing you are also looking for something that you can control to generate/manipulate rhythm or harmony on the midi level, and you have all the plugins you need for the sounds? This does not have to be a DAW.

Check out ChordwarePA

Last edited:
Renoise is a pretty good bet if you're into sample based music production.
Demo version is gratuitous, to the point of full featured (minus rendering of tracks), and there are plenty of videos on their YT channel

But it's also a different kind of beast (vertical scrolling spreadsheet look - WTF?) and might not be your cup of tea for this reason,
but blazing fast once you wrap your head Dafont Showbox Adam4adam around it.

If you're looking for a more traditional sort of DAW, Cakewalk was recently rebranded and released under the Bandlab umbrella.
Might also be worth a look - it's deep and got all the benefits of a software that has been decades in development.
yes that's right you're right, I think Daw and the best

Last edited:
It's maybe a little old fashioned, but you could also use something like Schismtracker. I have tried that, because a long time ago I used Screamtracker. But, I think a regular daw is much easier to use.

For mastering my go to plugin is definitely Ozone 8. It's not free, far from it but it's really worth it's price. It really improves your workflow. The only downside is that it will literally eat you CPU. Because of that I recommend when using it to render your song and then use Ozone on it. It just works amazing.

For free content I always use Camel Crusher, Ozone Imager, OTT
I also found this violin VST online. It's called sonatina violin. Sounds amazing. Not as violin though more as like a synth sound like a violin.

Back