Your favourite Sequencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jizzer

Hi Jizzer,

Nice name mate. In case you don't know, it has slightly rude connotations here in the UK :) I've no idea if it means anything in America.

sequencer preferences...

hi i have used and moved through these sequencers in this order....
AKAI MPC2000 (avoid at all costs), octamed (crappy little fast tracker prog for PC), cubasis(PC) cubase 5(PC) and finally Reason(PC)...

i can honestly say my favorite sequencer is propllerheads reason as it is ssooooo simple and intuative to use... if you like hardware samplers and synths, but cant afford them this is the perfect alternative... it can be used as a cubase plugin... which solves the problem of not being able to connect external midi instruments/samplers to it....
all the demo samples supplied with it are beautifull and highly usable... i just cant fault it...
all i can say is i LOVE reason... it is soo well designed i cant sing its praises enough!!!!

Dj D.N.A. (uk)

Re: sequencer preferences...

djdna said:
if you like hardware samplers and synths, but cant afford them this is the perfect alternative... it can be used as a cubase plugin...... it is soo well designed i cant sing its praises enough!!!!
Another program where they try to make the software resemble the hardware. (i.e. Lots of knobs and virtual rack-mounts) I can see why they do this - I guess it makes it accessible to people who are used to hardware.

But I wish they'd be a bit more innovative and try to make the most of a PC-based music making environment. It annoys me when they try to make the user interface resemble hardware ... at the expense of usability. E.g. in Rebirth, dragging knobs around with the mouse really irritates me (the whole point of a real knob is that you can rotate it with your hand and be really accurate if necessary).

Another example - I hate it when you have fixed-size windows (e.g. representing rack-mounted modules). The whole joy of Windows is that you can resize them and arrange them how you want!!!!

cakewalk...

i'm a bit of a cakewalk fanatic... I love it for everything :D

sequenzer

i use cubase for 7 years . now i am using logic. it's the best...... before for me was cubase still #1, but after two weeks in hard studio work testing logic, i forget cubase very very fast. now i use from cubase on a 2nd PC only the master section.....

Vision DSP

Anyone here that works with or has worked with VisionDSP (from Opcode). I've used it for 2 years now and i think it's still pretty nice & stable. I've tried switching to Logic Audio Platinum but i had audio sync problems with my card (Creamware Powersampler/Luna II), so...

But I'm anxious to try the new Pro Tools midi sequencing as well...

pro-tools midi sequencing sucks. I think it's cos pro-tools is built from the ground up with the idea of recording and editing and keeping everything perfectly in sync, which it does great. i.e. it's not a sequencer like Cubase, Logic and all the others.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

KasioRoks

I started 10 years ago on a IBM clon 286 wiith the DOS version of Cakwalk, I used it for 5 years and it was rock solid. Eventually that computer died and I had to enter the world of Windows and Cakewalk Pro Audio 6, It was a complete disapointment. I imedietly got latency problems and a mouse driven graphic interface to slow me down.... eventualy I got used to it and have used quite a few newer versions of cakewalk. I've tried Cubase and found it to be slow and unstable but it was certainly more powerful then Cakewalk. I now use The lite Version of Logic that came with my Soundcard and I love it! Logic rocks. I will most likly be upgrading to the full version of logic as soon as my new DAW is finished.

I'm interested in finding the least CPU but still powerful MIDI sequencer to possibly just run along side with Vegas Audio or some other Multitracker. Any thoughts?

Taos
www.djtaos.cjb.net

what would you guys say if I was able to order a new in the box RS7000 for $1288.00USD shipped?

would you guys say that was a good deal?

how much more can we expect this unit to fall in price by the end of the year?...taking into account that it is an RM1X and SU700 put together in one box?

good deal?

:cheers:

protools LE vs cubase

I think Im going to buy Digi 001 by digidesign, it comes with the Protools LE software...But I hear alot about cubase. How is protools compared to cubase?

:confused:

Logic.......

I'll give a more detailed review in about 3 years when I figure out how to use the damn thing! ;)

na, I'm new to the program but it seemingly has endless funtions........I really like the interface......

Using Dr.T's KCS Level II v3.5 on an Amiga 3000. No bells and whistles but extensive Event text editing, PVG generator, rock solid timing, and much more. Although the learning curve is a little high, but when you're used to it, you can do anything you want with it. I've been using it since v1.6 back in 1990. Won't go to newer "cutsie" sequencers. Once you find what works for you, and make good music with it, that's all about there is to it.

Cheers!

Digidesign is the industry standard but as far as the Digi001 (which I almost got) compared to Cubase with MOTU, I'd go with the latter. Digi001 is host PC dependent which relies on how much power you have on your PC.

Personally, I use Creamware tripleDAT II (Native and Plug-in versions). I really am partial to the way the arrager is layed out even compared to ProTools. Use tripleDAT on a Pulsar II card and that thing goes like a rocket! I've been mixing an avarage of 45 stereo tracks = 90 tracks mind you, without compromise of speed, computer reactions and so forth, thanks to the Pulsar II's 6 SHARC DSPs - and having simultaneous multiple effects!. Although, I will only recommend Pulsar / TripleDAT for a more computer savvy folks. Otherwise I'd go to Cubase 5 + MOTU 896 I/O.

cubase cubase :)

ive had my fair share of sequencers starting out with protracker on my amiga which i thought was the coolest thing since sliced bread. were talking a whole 4 channels of sample ruffage, tracker style, built in sampler/editor, built in synth thing (made wierd metalic sounds).

Then on the trusty Atari ST 1024 and cubase 2.8 to 3.0

now my pc with vst5, which I consider the best sequencer ive ever used.

fluxtah

Last edited:
Well - as I said in previous threads:
I've been using Cubase since the version 2.0, over 3.0, 3.5 VST, 3.7 VST, and now VST/32 version 5.

I don't know about the other sequenser programs, I think they have all their pro's & contra's, but at this moment I'm still happy with my Cubase...

Peace :cheers:

Anything that has cowhide stretched over it seems to work for me... african drums, biker chicks.... you name it...

Hmmm... maybe I'm going off topic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back