Will an Audio Interface Make My Mix Sound Better?

Matahari

Not sure about correct terminology. Basically what I mean is, even if I'm not recording audio through the box or using studio monitors, will it process my mix better than if my onboard sound card or will it sound barely the same?

Disregarding audio mind you, I'm not planning to plug in any mics or anything into the box. I just want to know if the same mix will sound better processed through the box then my onboard sound card.

If I take a mix, one processed through say a Fast Track and the same one proccessed through my onboard, will my friends be able to tell the difference once exported to WAV?

Thank You.

I believe it'll be the same sound... all the interface does is send what is already there to the monitors. It's the monitor's job to create the sound. Before it gets there... it's all 0's and 1's.

If you're not doing any audio recording, good monitors are much more important than anything else. You'd probably need an interface to hook up good monitors... but almost any interface w/ the right output jacks for your monitors should suffice.

^^^^^^
I agree
I think it will mostly sound the same.

A good audio interface will give you a more accurate perspective to what your mix really sounds like.

I think good monitors are more important tho

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about correct terminology. Basically what I mean is, even if I'm not recording audio through the box or using studio monitors, will it process my mix better than if my onboard sound card or will it sound barely the same?

Disregarding audio mind you, I'm not planning to plug in any mics or anything into the box. I just want to know if the same mix will sound better processed through the box then my onboard sound card.

If I take a mix, one processed through say a Fast Track and the same one proccessed through my onboard, will my friends be able to tell the difference once exported to WAV?

Thank You.

Audio Interfaces are optimized for real time (low latency) multichannel sound recording and playback, including studio-grade fidelity.

If your just mixing I suggest getting studio grade monitor cause what you hear through the monitors is what will be heard at the party, in the car or someone stereo system.

@mannas

Without a doubt things would sound better.Do research on monitors tho,It is a waste to just get any monitors.

i think he's talking a/d converters, but idk much about that. not a fan of the technical stuff, i just learn on a need to know basis. anyway, an interface will allow you to hook up monitors which will help you mix. so in a way an interface will help your mix.

Converters are very important when it comes to pristine audio quality.
a/d, d/a converters convert analog into digital and vice versa. Pretty much, any sound you hear that's not running through a computer chip is an analog signal (ie.. you talking into the mic, or plugging your guitar into an amp).. the moment it hits the computer, the computer breaks it down into 0s and 1s. So you can imagine why you'd need a good converter..... you want to make sure your digital signal sounds exactly the same as the analog sound. You don't want it to get garbled up.

Converters are already a part of your audio interface. I would recommend to not worry about buying an standalone converter until you really know what you're doing w/ engineering. b/c it really won't make a difference unless you have gotten very good at mixing. You can make good enough mixes w/o a top dollar converter... but when you get up there with the big boys and start getting radio play... yeah, ur gonna want/need a quality converter.

Thank You.

directly, it won't change the sound. but a better converter gives you a more flat response so you can make better mixing decisions

i always assumed that the a/d converters determine the quality of a soundcard....

i think a good audio interface will sound better than a cheap one with the same source material

Thank You.

the "actual" music/mix will sound better coming thru you onboard sound card because the sound coming from your onboard sound card will be colored/enhenced. with a audio interface you will have a more "truer" sound. no coloring or enhencments just the "pure" sound...

when mixing you are looking for that "pure" sound...

the mixing process is coloring/enhencing the sound of the tune...

therefore, the on board soundcard is getting in the way while mixing...

Last edited:
the "actual" music/mix will sound better coming thru you onboard sound card because the sound coming from your onboard sound card will be colored/enhenced. with a audio interface you will have a more "truer" sound. no coloring or enhencments just the "pure" sound...

when mixing you are looking for that "pure" sound...

the mixing process is coloring/enhencing the sound of the tune...

therefore, the on board soundcard is getting in the way while mixing...

nothing will sound better from an onboard sound card trust me. that's not the type of color you want.

are people really saying in this thread that it doesnt matter what kind of soundcard u have as far as sound quality goes?

if that's the case...PLEASE EDUCATE ME...cause i think i just wasted 500 on an apogee duet for the sound quality...i should have just gotten an m audio or gone with my onboard sound....

I love my apogee duet.I had a tascam 1804 before I bought the duet.the tascam sounds like **** compared to the duet.I couldn't believe the sound and quality difference.my mixes have improved a ton since I got the duet.it has a nice clean and crystal clear sound.if you didn't need alot of ins and outs you made a good decision.I am happy with mines atleast

Just to be clear, the mixing and processing quality has nothing to do with your soundcard. The difference is when you record and play. But the bounce/export quality isn't depended on your soundcard.

If your mix sounds better with the new soundcard, it's only because the playback quality.

If your mix sounds better with the new soundcard, it's only because the playback quality.

EXACTLY...that's my point....

i wanna hear the argument for the fact that a better soundcard wont make what's coming out of your computer sound better....

i understand that a bad mix is a bad mix....but even with a bad mix....a better soundcard should give u a more accurate response of what's there...right?....

or am i missing something?

yea las.I agree with t prod also.it sounded like a cloud was over my sounds when using the tascam 1804..lol.the huge difference is in the playback of your sounds.you hear things much much more accurately with a good soundcard or interface and that helps your mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back