Why do people say Fl Studio is the best DAW?

Sorry to pose a simple question,but I am new to DAWS other than Logic and am tired of the struggle it requires to get a decent workflow. I need really good MIDI features,Logic used to have them but they are slowly starting to malfunction with every OSX upgrade. I don't even know if FL can handle MIDI score import and MIDI editing, can it?

Sorry to pose a simple question,but I am new to DAWS other than Logic and am tired of the struggle it requires to get a decent workflow. I need really good MIDI features,Logic used to have them but they are slowly starting to malfunction with every OSX upgrade. I don't even know if FL can handle MIDI score import and MIDI editing, can it?

It has MIDI *file* import and can export as score sheets.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Thanks for the reply Salem, I need to be able to edit the MIDI and to automate the Playback and Recording of the MIDI,does this make sense or must I find better words to ask my question?

This is a subject that always will have some controversy. And the truth is: there's no DAW better than other. All DAWs can do the same. What matters is the producer him/herself.

Image-line even adress the "DAW wars" on their website, you should check.

this is the full and bare truth at the very basic the only real difference in any DAW is the ease and functionality of the user interface aside from that it boils own to preference

Last edited:
at the end of the day 9th wonder won a grammy for beats he made on fl studio

could he have done the same using reason or logic or whatever else? yes

its all in the producer, **** a daw

Thanks Butchabeats and Luka95, My Logic pro copy functions so badly I don't know if it is the program its' self or the OSX it is running in. I have it on a laptop running in Snow leopard and a Desktop running Mountain Lion, both behave very badly. By this I mean the automation of MIDI events which is supposed to work doesn't. I have tried asking on Logic forums but since I seem to be the only person with this problem I get no real answers. I have called Apple Care and had a telephone conversation with a professional Logic expert who had some suggestions for getting around the problem but couldn't imagine why the MIDI automation would just stop working.

Logic has been acting strange since Snow leopard was released and continues to change settings when Logic is shut down,I open an existing project and find all settings have changed and it is taking a lot of time to put them all back correctly, that is also happening in Apple mail-the OSX doesn't seem to be able to see that the correct password for sending mail is where it should be and the mac keeps asking for the password. I have had Apple Care help for the mail problem, but it keeps returning. Sorry for all theApple names there may be no one on this forum wo uses the Apple DAW, so this may just sound like gibberish.

To put it as simply as possible-logic won't do what it is supposed to do and I would rather switch to a MIDI software that can do things like MIDI automation. But I have no idea if other software even try to offer what Logic claims it can do so I thought maybe there would be a Logic pro user here who might have a solution,but it looks like I am barking up the wrong tree. Thanks for trying, I appreciate your comments very much. maybe I will just have to bite the bullet and try the Beta version of FL to see what it thinks it can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen many top 10 list of people putting FL Studio at the top saying it's the best. Usually when I talk to other producers about DAW's they regard FL Studio as an amateur software and say it's what they used to start off with but once they could afford better software they bought it. I have messed around with FL Studio before on a friends computer before I was serious about producing music but I never really used it to a full extent. I don't understand why these top 10 lists put FL Studio above even Logic and Pro Tools if so many people regard it as amateur.

ls2013,

In Most of the lists it appears top 10 in terms of popualrity (Not meaning the best but most used) tough it's a good DAW mainly for beat making!!!

Thanks for the reply Salem, I need to be able to edit the MIDI and to automate the Playback and Recording of the MIDI,does this make sense or must I find better words to ask my question?

"Automate" means a specific thing in a DAW -- With your apparently limited experience, I doubt that's the word you were trying to use. Maybe it is, though! Explain a little bit more thoroughly.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Thank you Ki for the reply, I am trying to automate the articulations, velocity,panning,quantization of garageBand Strings, in Logics' Piano Roll there is an editor that is called Hyper Draw-it is called Region Based Automation to distinguish it from Track Based Automation. My two copies of Logic both do strange things,an example- in one song the whole group of strings starts the background to the solo using Pizzicato and then after 13 bars must switch to arco.

I can create the nodes along the timeline in the editor and the articulations are starting at 0 up to 127,but the software instruments do not always follow what is in that editor so bouncing the track isn't possible because it is always full of wrong articulations.

I have tried out of frustation dragging the node which should trigger the strings to switch to arco to the left,backwards in time, unintentionally creating a straight slope and once in a while the strings will play all the many articulations in their repetoire because, I assume the songposition vertical line is passsing over this slope. I then add another node to make the change occur exactly at bar 13 and return at bar 26 to Pizzicato.

This gives visually three lines horizontally from left to right with the Pizzicato bars being at the begining and the ending. The line in the middle is where they should switch to arco, it must be set to a value between 118 and 127, in Logic the 127 is at the top of this editor and the 0 is at the bottom. I have moved the line all the way up and down at least a few hundred times and in ten or so cases the editor worked and the strings played as automated in bars14 to 25 arco. Every time I open a project these settings have disappeared or changed to something I don't need and I have to start over again. That is why I am looking for a daw or MIDI editor that could do these things, I have tried Cubase and while having almost identical features to Logic the Steinberg tech help is clueless and the forum still full of very interesting posts from ten years ago.

Do you now understand the problem?

Do you now understand the problem?

walloftext-40997.jpg

... No. I don't. Lol.

#1 - I can't tell... are these problems you're having in Logic? GarageBand? Cubase? FL Studio? You start talking about several different DAWs throughout your post.
#2 - I don't know what you mean by "the articulations are starting at 0 up to 127". Most articulations in plugins are key-switched. Are yours controlled by MIDI CC? or...?

The simplest possible answer I can give to your question: "You can automate plugin parameters in FL Studio. You can record, save, and play back automation."

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Because it's the easiest to crack and hands down is the easiest to use.
Clicking on boxes is A LOT easier than having to program drums or create a melody.
So,in the age of "microwave beats",the easiest to use will be regarded as the best.

Peace
Simple! I can add that FL's interface is realy comfy, which adds points for awesomeness..

Last edited:
A DAW shouldn't have much of an effect at all on the quality of your music. So I find it a bit pointless to discuss which DAW is the best because it always come back to personal opinion. That said, FL Studio is pretty easy to learn, so maybe that is why it is considered the "best".

People tend to co sign the stuff they like. No more no less. Is FL the best around? Not to me but I know guys who love FL Studio too.

Wow, feels good to be back on here again. I've been gone for what seems like ages. Glad to see many of the familiars (like Xab) still in the mix.

Anyway, FL to me (when used creatively) will always be faster than anything out there, especially when accompanied by hardware. You just can't beat the layout. But a few years back, I switched to Mac so I was all MPC/Pro Tools/Logic with it.

Recently hung up the MPC for this though:

stuff.png

and then just last night.......

Instagram

Looking back my FL Studio beats sounded a little empty/lazy. Of course thats my fault but somethings can't be done with a mouse honestly. As someone who knows keys/theory buying maschine let me unleash all that knowledge on the pads/keys. Its a dope daw, a little more straight-to-the-point than others but the increase of creativity is ridiculous. I do however prefer fl's arranger/sequencer whatever and its editing is a little simpler than maschine

It really does not matter which DAW you use. If you can create something hot with it than use what works best for you. I use to use Fruity loops, it was free. I now use Reason 5, just my personal preference. And be honest, when you hear something hot, you can't tell what DAW its made from. I think people hate on it because they know how easy it is compared to Pro Tools. So somebody with thousands of dollars worth of equipment versus a kid with a laptop.

Back