What's best for recording/mixing - Cubase or Pro Tools?

D

DannyDisorder

Hello,
I want to record vocals, what's best for me, what should I use for recording? Cubase or Pro Tools?
Is Pro Tools capable of using VST? I want to use Waves plugins for my vocals, or does Pro Tools has something better?

Thanks!

Pro Tools but also depends on how fast your system is, since PT uses up a ton of CPU power. And if you're using waves, it will eat up even more of the CPU load...let me know how fast your system is and I'll let you know if it's good.

Some might disagree with me on this... but when your record with protools, you get what you get. Dont belive me, Try record the same thing in both daws at the same rates and hear for youself. For mixing it has to be protools without a doubt.

Pro Tools but also depends on how fast your system is, since PT uses up a ton of CPU power. And if you're using waves, it will eat up even more of the CPU load...let me know how fast your system is and I'll let you know if it's good.

Yes that's why you must have the Pro Tools HD Systems

I have looked all over the net... WHERE do you buy the HD system and HOW many different peices of avids hardware do you need to buy before you have an HD system?

It's what works best with your workflow.

For the people who don't have at least $20,000 for a decent Pro Tools System and a/d/a. then I would say go with Cubase. The Non HD systems have a small # of tracks you can use automation is different, and it run off your computers processing power. There are just so many things that limit you. If you are going to get an HD system, then get AT LEAST 2 CARDS! and make sure you're not just wasting money by going HD. I know a lot of people get it, and then don't know how to use it.

As far as audio quality... the DAWS don't effect it enough for you to hear it. Especially if you're asking a question like this.

Last edited:
It's what works best with your workflow.

For the people who don't have at least $20,000 for a decent Pro Tools System and a/d/a. then I would say go with Cubase. The Non HD systems have a small # of tracks you can use automation is different, and it run off your computers processing power. There are just so many things that limit you. If you are going to get an HD system, then get AT LEAST 2 CARDS! and make sure you're not just wasting money by going HD. I know a lot of people get it, and then don't know how to use it.

As far as audio quality... the DAWS don't effect it enough for you to hear it. Especially if you're asking a question like this.

...couldnt agree more ....

It doesn't matter. Pro Tools is a lot easier to learn and not quite as complicated, so if manuals scare you PT might be the better option. Cubase has a lot more features/flexibility, but it comes at the expense of having to learn it all. Cubase also has better automatic delay compensation than PTHD, which could be an issue with parallel processing and using outboard gear as inserts if you do a lot of that. But if you want to bounce around from studio to studio, PT is more ubiquitous whereas with Cubase you'd have to consolidate more.

But in terms of quality, no difference. I know people who swear that Cubase sounds better than PT, but I seriously doubt there's any difference.

Personally, I mix records on Cubase. Hasn't stopped me from making a few hits.

It doesn't matter. Pro Tools is a lot easier to learn and not quite as complicated, so if manuals scare you PT might be the better option. Cubase has a lot more features/flexibility, but it comes at the expense of having to learn it all. Cubase also has better automatic delay compensation than PTHD, which could be an issue with parallel processing and using outboard gear as inserts if you do a lot of that. But if you want to bounce around from studio to studio, PT is more ubiquitous whereas with Cubase you'd have to consolidate more.

But in terms of quality, no difference. I know people who swear that Cubase sounds better than PT, but I seriously doubt there's any difference.

Personally, I mix records on Cubase. Hasn't stopped me from making a few hits.

I never knew that about the ADC on Cubase. Now you have me curious. I've mixed a track on Cubase which took me a while because I'm used to my PT rig. The thing I like about PT is that I have 5 cards (used to only have 2), so I have a ton of processing power now. Also I can take my sessions from studio to studio and keep my sessions on my hd.

Back