What is the best hardware sequencer?

R

Robyo

Hello.
What is the best dedicated hardware sequencer for programming complex rhythms (jungle, drum and bass, tribal, funk, dub, jazz, etc) and performing live? I don't want to use the computer on stage or even have to turn it on to compose music. I am familiar with software like Studio Vision and Cubase. I'm thinking about selling my MC-303 and MC-50 mkII and getting the Yamaha RM1x instead. I've heard it's pretty good for jungle/house/techno, but the sounds aren't too great. Are they any other good master sequencers out there? Roland MC-505? AKAI MPC-2000? EMU XP-7? I have samplers and synths and don't want a lot of canned sounds, just a trusty sequencer.

Peace thru beats!
:D

I have an RM1X, and I love it. Sure, the sounds are cheesy, but you can make them sound original and quite good if you run them through external effects. The main reason I got the RM1X is to run my other hardware, and it does a damn fine job of it. The editing capabilites of this thing are incredible. Plus, it has internal memory, which means no backing up data constantly. I've had mine for about a month and a half, using it for 5-8 hours a day, and I still haven't touched on everything it can do. I can't speak for other hardware sequencers because this is the first one I've had.

Oh, it has sixteen sections, with sixteen tracks each, which makes for great live pattern-based playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an RM1X user and just tried out the RS7000. That box is almost perfect.

Thanks for the insight. I think the rs7000 is a good tool, but I have yet to read any reviews of it on line or in print. Anybody got any opinions?
peace:monkey:

Hey.. I say go for the RM1X. I just picked up one about a week ago. I scored a mint one off ebay for $400. I already had a nice E-mu sampler, so I couldnt justify spending the extra cash on the new yamaha unit. I was really after a no-frills box just to sequence with. There doesnt really seem to be anything great out there without built in sound modules or sampler functions. The rm1x seemed to have the best features to price ratio.

hey, I've been doing research on hardware sequencers too. I've been leaning toward a Yamaha QY-700. It's strictly a sequencer with GM sounds.

rm1x , is a great unit

Personally speaking, the rm1x is a amazing piece of gear. First off, the sequencer in the rm1x is awesome. If you ever have a chance to mess with one, check out the job functions. The way it is designed, just makes it easy to lay down beats. Sure, some may laugh when they see the cheesy little keys and the thin sounds, but its not the cover that counts. In reality, the you can tweek the parameters of the sounds in the rm1x to your desire, so there is no excuse to be unsatisfied with the sounds, except for laziness, or ignorance. I think alot of people get the rm1x, mess around with it for a few days, and declare it to have cheesy sounds. This is unfortunate. The rm1x was the second piece of gear I bought, and it by far exceeded my expectations. If you dont have a computer, dont want one, or want to perform live the rm1x is key. Switching sections and patterns, muting tracks, all is done with one button. It has never crashed on me, though at times if you have heavy delay on several tracks, it loses notes. The only complaint I have is that some of the effects are not tempo synced, but by being creative you can get around it. I primarily make trancy, trip hop type stuff

rm1x owners,

i own an rm1x and love it. is there a way that i can import MIDI files, then change the instruments, delete a section, basically edit the file to my own personal liking and then save it to be played back with my changes? the MIDI files always go back to "normal" when i play the song after editing. :cry:

You can probably do it by using a midi cable (i assume you're using a disk), but if you know what you want to do with the midi file, just edit it on your comp with something like acid and then import it to the rm.

If it's straight up sequencing you want the Rm1x is more than capable. It's sequencer might just be the best on the market. It's ability to let you add/drop patterns on the fly is perfect for performances. It seriously lacks in the sound dept (in my opinion). I use it strictly for sequencing and for live performance. It's construction, in particular it's "keyboard" is a bit cheap and can cause problems after a lot of use. I'd also like the ability to wipe the factory presets but thats just me whining.

I highly recommend it.

peace,

fitz

Yoshimixsu said:
rm1x owners,

i own an rm1x and love it. is there a way that i can import MIDI files, then change the instruments, delete a section, basically edit the file to my own personal liking and then save it to be played back with my changes? the MIDI files always go back to "normal" when i play the song after editing. :cry:
Well, there might be an easier way, but try this: copy each track into an empty user phrase. I don't use MIDI files, but I think this should work. Let me know how it turns out.

sonic::bionic said:
Well, there might be an easier way, but try this: copy each track into an empty user phrase. I don't use MIDI files, but I think this should work. Let me know how it turns out.
thanks. copying the track to a blank one helps... but the real solution to my problem was that i needed to edit each track. the 1st 2 lines of data need to be deleted, therefore the track will not be preprogramed under a chessey general MIDI sound. this is aweome.... since i have no skills at creating powerful melodies.... i can make a fat drum pattern and layer it with some tweaked melodies from millions of MIDI songs available on the web. rm1x is the best sequencer i have worked with.

RMX1

How can you use the RMX1 to slave more than one piece of gear (ex. module + sampler)? it only has 1 midi out...And please don't tell me about Cubase, Sonar, bla,bla,bla. I'm not dissing PC setups, cause I also use my computer for audio. I'm tired of staring at a fuc***** monitor at work and also at home. I will always use my PC for editing and other things., but having a good hardware sequencer will be good for a change.

MIDI out from the RM1x to MIDI in on whatever, then connect the MIDI thru on that instrument to the MIDI in on the next instrument.

And yea, inserting a program change message at the beginning of the track would most definitely work. I was going to tell you to do this if the other way didn't work out for ya.

Originally posted by DJ Promo
How can you use the RMX1 to slave more than one piece of gear (ex. module + sampler)? it only has 1 midi out
Originally posted by sonic::bionic
MIDI out from the RM1x to MIDI in on whatever, then connect the MIDI thru on that instrument to the MIDI in on the next instrument.
True, or, if you were worried about introducing latency by chaining together loads of bits of gear you could buy a midi splitter box.

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info...

Thanks to all of you that answer my posts. I will send you all a gift when my hit record goes 10 times platinum...:cheers:

Back