Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Low Volume Exporting From Reason! Not Caused By PC Settings

Thanks

Very Low Volume Exporting From Reason! Not Caused By PC Settings

Sign in to disable this ad
    Every time I export a song from Reason , even if it's EQd, compressor, and/or even maximized, it still comes out at a really low db. After I get the .wav file and bring it into Adobe Audition the file is way below 0 db. If I normalize the file it raises the volume to a normal level, but sometimes throws the balance of the mix out of whack or introduces digital artifacting to the song I've tried raising the volume in reason but usually all that gets me is some crackling sounds so I'm pretty stumped. It's not my settings becuse I can clearly see how low the volume is in the wavefrom (I've brought in actual songs and they all go up near 0 db).

Some of my transients (usually kick or snare) pop out and prevent normalizing so I just add a little compression to lower the dynamics, but it still is frustrating to have to go in a modify the song after adjusting everything how I want it in Reason. It's almost like it doesn't matter what it sounds like playing back from Reason cause it'll sound different afterwards. Sometimes there's crackling, sometimes the levels are off, sometimes the bass stops bumping or bumps too hard. I've got pretty good EQ on everything, I cut the lows on everything but the bass, add like 3db boosts to the sweet spot of my instruments, and compress really dynamic tracks, but it still comes out low after the export. Any suggestions?

This really bothering me because it's almost unpredictable. Should I export STEM files? (AKA solo each track separately in Reason 5) I can rewire into protools but I'd rather do my mixing and composing in Reason and plus it takes forever to export just to find out if the song sucks or not. Aside from the monitors I usually test with my car stereo and sub, iPhone, studio headphones, and regular headphones (most common ways anyone would listen to the music).
    waveform-png
    Here's a screenshot that shows what I'm talking about. that's what it looks like after me cranking up the master fader and maximizer 'til right before it gets distorted, and that's pretty loud compared to most of my songs. I know there are some spikes sticking out from the bass and snare (even though they're compressed...), but it still is only at -3db at the transients.
    Last edited by Moke and Eed; 02-14-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Not sure what to tell ya since that only should happen when the faders in any daw is set too low.
    The faders of each individual channel.
    The faders.

Thanks
    You're using reason 5? Do you also use record?
    Can you upload a song as reason file?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KonKossKang View Post
    Not sure what to tell ya since that only should happen when the faders in any daw is set too low.
    The faders of each individual channel.
    The faders.
    Hm, maybe I should just raise everything, but have them the same levels relative to each other (raise the gain stage), I don't remember if I've tried that, but hopefully I don't get any distortion

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B Side Producer View Post
    You're using reason 5? Do you also use record?
    Can you upload a song as reason file?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...k1UZFJIZVBBb0E That should be a link to an RNS file on my Google Drive called Nemesis that you can download. It's a decent song, not much to it though, but has is cranked up really loud and maximized and only gets to -3db in the waveform. not bad, but having to export and normalize and compressor and normalize is really annoying if I'm already compressing and maximizing it within Reason. I do not use Record, just Reason 5 straight to a WAV and into Audition

Thanks
    I would have sent you a new song I've been working on, but I don't have the files with me right now or on my Google Drive unfortunately

Thanks
    Would it be easier to just say fuck Reasona and rewire through Pro Tools? I like a lot of the mixing tools they have in that program (visual compressor, 5 band EQ, easy HPF and LPF), but I really don't get a much better sound out of all that work

Thanks
    If you don't know how to use all of reason's tools, how would you do better in other daws exactly?
    You actually need to know what you're doing in any daw, and what everything is to begin with.

My Rewire combination of choice is Reason/FL Studio or Reason/Studio One :]
    Don't blame tools for what you don't know all too well also.
    Manual time fella.
    Last edited by KonKossKang; 02-15-2017 at 07:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KonKossKang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KonKossKang View Post
    If you don't know how to use all of reason's tools, how would you do better in other daws exactly?
    You actually need to know what you're doing in any daw, and what everything is to begin with.

My Rewire combination of choice is Reason/FL Studio or Reason/Studio One :]
    Don't blame tools for what you don't know all too well also.
    Manual time fella.
    Well I have an older version of Reason that doesn't have the same functionality as the newer versions with the extra effects and such. Pro Tools is more meant for mixing and mastering it seems like so I thought that would make it easier for me to understand the whole process by using that. I'm still learning obviously, but I think I understand things pretty well for a hobby musician. It doesn't help that there's no "right" way to mix a song, so it's hard to find the right info.

Thanks
    You just don't know how reason works in it's entirety : /
    Nobody knows everything, but honestly it's not the company's fault for that.

Protools, reason, caustic etc can access the same plugins via rewire or midi ox/vst hosts since the beginning :/
    Started at 5 myself. There's external vst hosts that are specifically made for that if you are just not into all of reason's modules or combinators.

Thread Information