Trackers(renoise) Vs. Sequencers

monogee

I just downloaded the demo of Renoise and I must say, I like it. Seems easy to use once you get to know it. I never heard of trackers unitl I came across Renoise. I just wanted to know if it's a step backwards in the sequencing department and what are some of the advantages in using it versus say, using Logic or Cubase. Thanks.

The advantage is that you rather program your music by typing the notes and automation with it. Of course only if you're into that kind of stuff.
You can also input notes and automate via MIDI controllers if you want, but IMO trackers are made for hands-on value entering.

besides that it's just another approach to composing. No step backwards at all. Well, maybe back in time (argueable), but not quality wise. ^^

Last edited:
Madtracker seems interesting. I might try it when I get home. I have Plugsound Pro and I haven't used it due to incompatibilities with FL Studio. USB doesn't respond like they "claim". I was going to try to rewire another program it into FL Studio, but I didn't have a program to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus Arguru said he was going to make Aodix free.
He must be busy now because 2 months ago he said "in a few weeks" lol.
Hopefully he will open source it, ofcourse it's now likely never going to have rewire.
But it's the only tracker (as far as I know) with 960ppqn resolution.

I've heard people say they can do things in trackers in one minute that would take hours to do in a cubase-type sequencer. I've never heard any groundbreaking music to back up those claims, but it is what it is. I do plan to check out trackers someday tho.

Darko: I think it was highly overdone.
But in fact there is stuff which you see in one glance (since you see all the values in front of you once on the screen) which are directly editable.
Once used to the sceme you can really get pretty fast at editing stuff to exact the point you want them to.

Last edited:
Sqito said:
Skaletracker is also nice. Though not really finished yet.
Mattman04 said:
Plus Arguru said he was going to make Aodix free.
He must be busy now because 2 months ago he said "in a few weeks" lol.

This sums up the history of trackers (going back 15+yr) - somebody starts something, get's a good version off & then development dies. I think Arguru, alone, has abandoned like 3-4 different trackers ;)

ameoba said:
This sums up the history of trackers (going back 15+yr) - somebody starts something, get's a good version off & then development dies. I think Arguru, alone, has abandoned like 3-4 different trackers ;)

Yeah Arguru has a "track" record for abandoning trackers, lol.
He's a very creative developer, and I'm sure he'll do great with imageline. Directwave is a good example of how good of a developer he can be too.

Sqito said:
Darko: I think it was highly overdone.
But in fact there is stuff which you see in one glance (since you see all the values in front of you once on the screen) which are directly editable.
Once used to the sceme you can really get pretty fast at editing stuff to exact the point you want them to.
What was highly overdone? You mean exaggerated? Are the events (in renoise for example) strictly quantized or can you move them wherever you want?

Yes. I meant exaggerated. Like in: it takes seconds to enter stuff you would need "hours" in a traditional sequencer. :) it's true to some extent, though needs a bit of experience.

>> Are the events (in renoise for example) strictly quantized or can you move them wherever you want?

Actually every sequencer has its limits regarding this. (PPQ values)

In Renoise e.g. in normal mode. (speed 6) you have per step in the grid 6 steps inbetween in which you can shift or repeat the note entered.
for example the line:

C-4 01 80 0d03

Plays the note C-4 of Instrument 1 in full volume shifted 3 ticks from the actual position in the grid.

You can though change the speed value to 3 e.g. what means that you now just have 3 ticks between the notes, but the song also plays double as fast. This way you can enter more stuff inbetween.

Last edited:
moses said:
renoise is great. it has one of the best audio-engines available (pitching quality).

Funny thing is when I use Psycle I like to load up a sampler, and set it's interpolation to the lowest quality so the samples have tuning artifacts, lol.

Back