Thoose Grimy Hard Drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

high_stakes_gtr

Im lookin for some kits with that grimy sound. Something hard hitting and just...........I cant even explain it.......I guess the best way would be tracks from KENNA and FORT MINOR.

Free kits or not, I just need someone to lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?threadid=134231

There are alot of good old breaks to dl on that thread.
Ofclourse they are raw, and need chopped, and laced with effects, and whatnot to get that Fort Minor sound, but they are probably the type of sounds you want to work with.

For adding the extraw raw old school sound there are some nice vst effects to use.
I like fx2100(max clearComp is the best preset IMO) http://www.acquitrecords.com/FX2100.zip and Voxengo Boogex http://www.voxengo.com/files/VoxengoBoogex_131_WinVST_setup.zip

Boogex is an amp simulator, but can be very effective on drums with the right impulse response.
I use the mpc60, and sp12 impulse response with boogex.The color your sound to the outputof those old school samplers.
ftp://www.onetongun.com/shane/SP12_impulse1_7_dc.wav
http://www.dogsonacid.com/attachment.php?postid=5061774

^You'll need to sign up at that board to get the mpc60 Impulse however.
Also keep in mind that impulse's are often wav, or aiff files, and I had to trim the impulse's a lil in a wav editor to get 0 latency from them.

Also since Boogex is a guitar amp simulator you might want to be carefull with the amount of distortion you add.I often turn it all the way down.
The built in eq is usefull is most all instances however.

BigRyan said:
1. Old vinyl
2. Run those samples through a vintage sampler. The Akai S900 is likely your cheapest/best option.

Only way to do it money :D. Works wonders for me.

heres an easier not many people know of....

i chop em up from wherever...when saving the chopped up drums, lower the sample rate...i chop up in acid 6, you should have that option tho no matter what u use.the higher the sample rate(44kHz) the cleaner they sound..the lower you go (8 kHz) the dirtier they sound...thats just a start tho

You guys are being kind of vague just by saying "'vinyl"...

All the vinyl I come across never has drums that never bang and sounds weak.

Yo on the real its out there...Keep searchin the records..Try by lookin where different breaks came from>cop some of those records>and from those records see who plays drums on there if you like them>see which label put that record out>who produced it....So then when you go record hunting as time goes on and you start know what usually has some good stuff on it, or least what to look for...The more you dig in the crates the more you'll learn...Kits are god and all, but you';ll get more satisfaction making you own sh!t...Like Ryan dig for them records, and run them through an older sampler..Like^^it was mentioned you lower the bit rate, but it still won't give that real nice grimey sound...If want ot look for cheap samplers look into the Akai s900, 950, Emu emax 1, you could also go for the sp-12, Akai mpc60, ASR 10 (which I use, and can make my drums bang, and sound nice and grimey)..Just remember these samplers aren't going to make any drum sounds sound f@#kin great..You got find good drum sounds (and if they aren't good you gotta know how to eq, and mix them so they do sound good)..Remember theres alot of factors that play a big part in makin your drums sound good..Some old sampler isn't going to do all the work it will help...just my 2 cents..i hope you find what your lookin for..

Last edited by a moderator:
That was good info but I dont what records to get good drums, all I have is my dads old rock collection.

METAFOR said:
Kits are god and all, but you';ll get more satisfaction making you own sh!t

No offense, because to each their own style of producing, but i've never really considered any kind of sampling being my "own." That's just me though, based on the fact that no matter how much you chop, it's still going to be an idea that was there before yours. I'm definately being less skeptical about sampling though, because there are good things you can achieve only through sampling, but I just prefer kits to which you can also edit, and make them sound "grimey."

Last edited:
Midi Men said:
You guys are being kind of vague just by saying "'vinyl"...

All the vinyl I come across never has drums that never bang and sounds weak.

That's where compression and EQing comes in.

The problem with just lowering the sample rate on a computer: most sample editing programs will interpolate the samples, making it still sound smooth. Aliasing is what makes the drums sound crunchy.

I've never got a sound similar to (for example) an SP-12 from a computer, EVER. The machine's imperfections are also its charm.

Let me just clarify also that I sample myself playing drums, and make kits out of that..And when I said kits I'm talking about stuff other ppl made (like drum cds off of ebay, or modern beats cd, bangin beats cds, or any type of sample cds you can buy, and or download..)..So by makin your own whether it be bangin on pots (which you can get some cools sounds), and or recording yourself playin drums and further mixing and compression from there..Stuff of that sort not just sampling vinyl..But I do prefer vinyl..And a discussion sampling is a whole other topic....

maybe I'll stick with my "Kits"...I already have about 10,000 samples on my mpc's harddrive so I should be straight :cool:

...but I still havent made any drums that were bangalicious or whatnot...just those flat sounding drums that come by the dozen...

Are you supposed to turn the bass all the way up when you EQ drums??? Is that how to get em to bang or what?

You can get that sound with a computer...Maybe not exactly, but very close.
How you mix your drums is more important that anything though.
More important that old samplers, lo-fi vst's, or bit dropping.

Yo Fam:

It's ok if you want to have some "grimmy, gutter, gully sh#t" but I prefer to create and to come up with something new that will move the crowd. Being born and raised in Brooklyn, especially during the birth of hip-hop, all my sh#t is laced with scratch'n and some kind of funky break or hook because that's what all the early sh#t had and those old records still get club and radio play to this day. Keep it fresh and new and you should be ok but if you want to make sure your product is certifiable and official, just play that sh#t around some ppl that don't really know you and see how they react. Never ask too many ppl that know you what they think because most of them are going to tell you that sh#t is hot when your beats could be wack!........then again some beatmakerz don't give a fuc what others say about their sh#t but you should. If mufukas like your sh#t and think it's hot, that ='s work, which ='s $$$$$$$$ .........so make it hot and keep it pop'n!

Supreme

mix ur drums with disorted copy. mix it with 4 bit,8 bit or 12 bit copy. layer ur samples with some old vinyl breaks...just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back