Sonar 4 audio problem

Shovel

Member of Project Mayhem
I just received Sonar 4 Producer Edition. My problem is this, I don't hear any playback. The problem seems to happen only to midi tracks. All my drivers are installed and I'm sure I've made all the right selections in the audio device menu. Manual is no help and neither is the troubleshooting section. Perhaps I've missed something?

Computer: AMD Athlon 3000 XP 2.16 gig
Audio Int: M-Audio Audiophile USB

Also, I ve been searching for Instrument Definitions. I can't find any for Yamaha RM1x.

Midi settings are fine. My gear is triggered but doesn't produce sound through audio interface. As far as I can tell, the audio settings are fine as well. I can hear audio tracks in sonar and in other applications but not midi.

i havent used sonar 4 ,but i had that problem with cubase you should look at your midi in and out puts and see what devices are choosen ,

I tried it. As far as I can tell everything midi related is fine.

My gear is connected to a mixer and then into the audio interface. Plugging my headphones into my mixer, I can hear my midi gear. So maybe the problem is with my interface's input?

so if your chain is;

sonar - audiophile - mixer - headphones

and that's working, at which point are you not hearing the midi gear?

im having the same exact problem except i have no interface nor ect.. plugged in at all yet and i cant hear midi or any file for that matter. it wont even play. i posted screen shots of the problem in the prod. technique-mixing forum + in the software misc. forum if you wanna check em out. in/out setup looks like its fine, but i wont let me move or select anything else. hmm.

although i dont have a synth or anything hooked up. im not sure why i need anything having to do with midi if i just wanna record through preamp to interface to software to burn cd. is midi some kind of universal thing that all sound is measured in?

but on the other hand it may not even be the midi because when i import a song from mymusic and press space bar nothing happens, the line just sits there. im clueless.

openfisted said:
although i dont have a synth or anything hooked up. im not sure why i need anything having to do with midi if i just wanna record through preamp to interface to software to burn cd. is midi some kind of universal thing that all sound is measured in?

some people would use midi for softsynth purposes. and those with keyboards, midi records your live playing 'movements' on the keyboard. of course, these are just 2 of the probly hundreds of uses midi has.

avex said:
so if your chain is;

sonar - audiophile - mixer - headphones

and that's working, at which point are you not hearing the midi gear?

I can't hear it from the Audiophile, unless I create an audio track on Sonar and monitor it from there. But that doesn't make sense, to create an audio track to monitor midi?

Trusty said:
Are your in/out settings on your midi AND corresponding audio tracks correct?

They are correct.

Is it normal for the drivers to uninstall themselves? I've had to reinstall them for the Audiophile and the Midi Express at least twice now. Strange.

Shovel said:

I can't hear it from the Audiophile, unless I create an audio track on Sonar and monitor it from there. But that doesn't make sense, to create an audio track to monitor midi?

ahh. if i'm guessing this right, you havent got the audiophile midiOut selected as your 'output' on the midi track? dunno, some of us can see 2 soundcards there sometimes, one being the internal card. and most of the time, the midi output's set to the default internal one. you were probably hearing the midi sound from the intenal soundcard? so that's why you can hear em in the mixer, but not in audiophile?

correct me if i'm wrong, but your diagram looks like this?

----------
computer/sonar to audiophile to mixer to headphones

computer/sonar to mixer
----------

it'd be clearer if i drew it but the $^%# [font] command in fp didnt work me??!

oh, and yes it's normal to have an audio track to monitor midi, for most(?) dxi/vsti cases in sonar4. the only case i can come up with from the top of my head that *would not* need a complementing audio track in sonar is if you were using GM.

The diagram is correct. I'm not using the midi out from the audiophile. I failed to mention that it's midi from my hardware synths as well as the vst that I can't hear.

dunno, some of us can see 2 soundcards there sometimes, one being the internal card. and most of the time, the midi output's set to the default internal one.

Sonar is only reading the audiophile for sound in/out.

Back