software vs. hardware

PROTRAX

i been producing for about ten years now and started with software and i currently use a asrxpro and a m audio controller. honestly the two aint working together all that great. i notice the ease of switching tracks is nice on computer software. I'm in the process of buying cakewalk sonar xl version 4 and plan on using that exclusively, i was using the roland groovesynth mc-909 and an alesis but it got stolen. my thoght process is like hardware will eventually be dinosaurs and the age will come where cats just got a midi keyboard controller hooked up to there usb with some software and using software with ample synthesis rather than buying new key boards(mad inexpensive too). I notice on software synthesizers they come equipped with lfo shaping, filter, and effects. i think niggaz is coming mad fake producing on hardware thinking thats what its all about. The pc is more intuitive and u have more creative control than them little @$$ screens. Cats trying to be like dre and swizz just blaze or scott storch is ****ing played have your own mind and produce hip hop with style. I control my own computer. Artists in the 70's were using keyboards hooked up to computers and its going to be the new trend which I truly believe. Lastly I got a question about the cakewalk sonar 4. How are the sounds? and can you separate drum parts like put the snare on one key bass drum on another and hi hat on another key and on the same track? peace to kraftwerk, herbie hancock, and stevie wonder.

please dont start this debate again.

they werent using computers in the 70's, analog tape is more like it.

sonar isnt that type of program, you should look into reason or fl studio instead.

they were using computers as controller for some very expensive synthesisers. Off course you can't compare it with now, the computers and the synth's were both still in the starting era, but it existed.
attachment.php

this is one of those i've seen. It was build in 77 and is an analogue drumcomputer.

this is a digital fairlight also from a bit later (early 80's) who's controlled by a computer program.
attachment.php

this is an other prototype, the Quasar 8

attachment.php

the emu 4000
attachment.php

Hazelcom McLeyvier
mcleyvier01.jpg

Moog Song Producer
attachment.php

Hotz Box
translator1.jpg

some more
conbrio.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
i understand that there were such "computers" but i was refering to what's currently most commonly known as a computer, i.e. a pc or mac.

If you were really as smart as you're trying to get us to believe you were, you'd use both. There are some things that are great about the computer. Adding tracks, moving tracks, deleting tracks etc....
then there are somethings that is easier with hardware, switching instruments, choosing patches.
Softsynths are cool. Soft Samplers are in reality much more powerful than hardware Samplers, but you got to do it all with a mouse. If someone would make a hardware controller for Kontakt, then you'd have gold. Now, it just too easy to take your MPC to your boys house, or to the studio, and get to jammin.
With a laptop, you'll have to hook this up to that, and that to this, then that to that...then you can get started, if everything still works the way it did before you took it apart at your crib.

I like Hardware for the imediacy, get right to work workflow. I like my DAW(my computer rig) For the endless possiblities.

Pro Tools and Digital Performer been with us for 20+ Years

70's 80's close enough :)

computer is a computer

actually computer that Read Midi Data have been around lil earlier than the 70's

Last edited:
Cyko said:
Pro Tools and Digital Performer been with us for 20+ Years

actually computer that Read Midi Data have been around lil earlier than the 70's

The first MIDI specification wasn't published until 1983 ;)

The first actual Pro Tools version came out in 1991. It was the software "Sound Tools" renamed, though. Sound Tools was first released in 1987.

Digital Performer came out in 1990. It was the addition of digital audio capabilities which turned the MIDI Sequencer "Performer" into "Digital Performer".

Last edited:
Guenon said:

The first MIDI specification wasn't published until 1983 ;)

The first actual Pro Tools version came out in 1991. It was the software "Sound Tools" renamed, though. Sound Tools was first released in 1987.

Digital Performer came out in 1990. It was the addition of digital audio capabilities which turned the MIDI Sequencer "Performer" into "Digital Performer".

Sound Tools yes thanks for the correct

Midi has been around longer than that though..

I've seen a version of Dp BAck when the Manuals were liek cards and the copyright on the app is Mid 80's graphics loook like something from the Flintson cartoon (drawing wise)

Acient old looking.. Now that Sound tools was back in the Advid days correct?

Cyko said:
Midi has been around longer than that though..

No, really, the MIDI standard was first proposed in the early 80's. It was 1983 when the first spec officially came out. Before that there were just proprietary schemes from different manufacturers to implement controlling functions.

Cyko said:
I've seen a version of Dp BAck when the Manuals were liek cards and the copyright on the app is Mid 80's graphics loook like something from the Flintson cartoon (drawing wise)

Yeah, it was mid 80's when Performer started shipping (just checked the MOTU site). Later it became Digital Performer after they added the audio features.

Cyko said:
Acient old looking.. Now that Sound tools was back in the Advid days correct?

It was quite a bit before. It seems eight years before the Avid deal, actually. After some googling: Digidesign was bought by Avid Technology in 1995, and they have operated as a division of Avid ever since.

Edit: By the way, does anyone remember when the consumer Adlib cards started rolling in for the PC, in the mid-late 80's? And there was the mighty Adlib Composer! :D

adlib_composer.gif

Last edited:
Guenon said:

Yeah, it was mid 80's when Performer started shipping (just checked the MOTU site). Later it became Digital Performer after they added the audio features.

Composer! :D

adlib_composer.gif

^^ wow oldy lol

well thats what i ment about Motu app i should have said "Performer" but everyone knows it as Dp. so its just a habit calling it that

Yep, true. And yeah, I actually remember using that Composer software at school :p ... The sound was the classic tinny Adlib stuff, but it was so cool to have the computer (well, kind of) produce the sound instead of some regular piece of outboard gear :D

PROTRAX said:
I notice on software synthesizers they come equipped with lfo shaping, filter, and effects.

You've been producing for 10 years and you've never come across a hardware synthesizer that came with lfo shaping, filters and effects? ALL synthesizers come with lfo shaping, filters and effect
s bro. but anyways...

I agree that software is much better then hardware for SEQUENCING. That almost seems undebateable to me (although many people would do it). And software defenently gives you ALOT more for ALOT less. But there are some VERY powerful hardware synth's and sound generators out there that put most software to shame. Sounds banks like triton, motif and fantom run a big part of the industry.

As for hardware dieing out and software completely taking over. I doubt that will ever happen because honestly hardware is fun to **** around with while software your stuck clicking ****. Hardware is also alot faster to work with then software. You can make a hot beat with a motif in about 10 minutes, where as with software alot of time is taken up tweakin this, clicking that, going through thousands of folders to access drum sound 2,541 etc. I DO think however that sampler/workstations (like the MPC) might be a dieing breed. Why drop $2,000+ on an mpc that can do what? Sequence, Sample and Drum Machine. When you could buy a keyboard that can sequence, Sample, Comes with Very good sounds, Synth Engine, Drum Machine, Keyboard and more for the same price or cheaper. Or a computer that can do all that stuff as well.

I doubt hardware in general will become extinct...just certain types of hardware.

Auditory6 said:

You can make a hot beat with a motif in about 10 minutes, where as with software alot of time is taken up tweakin this, clicking that, going through thousands of folders to access drum sound 2,541 etc.

So then Tweak ur sounds they way u want them and make PAtches out of them.. Same with ur drums..

This way u dont have to Spend 10 minutes looking for the Right Drums thatt fit Certain Styles of tracks.. So u dont have to remake ur or repload ur Tweaked String/ Paino layered patch that contains a diry rhode it.. make those all PAtches

Common sounds u use Make them all Patches and make a Template. SO when u load up your app.. The Sounds are there Loaded in there Unit tweaked Basically Ready to go so all you have to do is hit record and and bang out a track...

Now u might wanna Do some slight tweaking to ur Sounds but it wont take nearly asmuch time as it did when u had to start from the Stock

lol i mean if u have ur sounds Mapped out to the ones u NEED the ones u like should be no damn reason to go through 50 folders finding ur sounds at all never

Cyko said:

So then Tweak ur sounds they way u want them and make PAtches out of them.. Same with ur drums..

This way u dont have to Spend 10 minutes looking for the Right Drums thatt fit Certain Styles of tracks.. So u dont have to remake ur or repload ur Tweaked String/ Paino layered patch that contains a diry rhode it.. make those all PAtches

Common sounds u use Make them all Patches and make a Template. SO when u load up your app.. The Sounds are there Loaded in there Unit tweaked Basically Ready to go so all you have to do is hit record and and bang out a track...

Now u might wanna Do some slight tweaking to ur Sounds but it wont take nearly asmuch time as it did when u had to start from the Stock

lol i mean if u have ur sounds Mapped out to the ones u NEED the ones u like should be no damn reason to go through 50 folders finding ur sounds at all never
thats also why i love reason 3 kuz of its favorites folder just lets u just jump and grab what u want as long as its in its folder i have 1 for my drums 1 for synths then different ones for my favorite acoustic instruments and a folder on my 2nd hard drive with all of my samples so that way i can just hit play onthe sample if i dont like what i hear move on to the next one it has improved my workflow so much i can literally make a sampled track in 5 minutes versus havin to spend 5 minutes just recording the song to the computer to sample it

Auditory6 said:
Hardware is also alot faster to work with then software. You can make a hot beat with a motif in about 10 minutes, where as with software alot of time is taken up tweakin this, clicking that, going through thousands of folders to access drum sound 2,541 etc.

Still, most of that is just user interface issues. That has become an important part of the hardware/software myth.

In any case, a modern keyboard instrument is (well, in the majority of cases) merely a specifically designed user interface to operate the actual i/o and the proprietary software inside.

I like the way the limits are becoming blurred with today's digital technology :)... As computational capacity increases, we will see extraordinary things done with software alone -- well, software running on a hardware platform, of course. Software is never alone.

As physical user interface standards catch up with the possibilities of the increasing calculating capacity of the future, it will make very little difference whether such applications run inside a "generic" computer or a proprietary box.

This is why I think the de facto "hardware vs. software" debate is mostly just production smalltalk, and not anything that would present a strong point for the future, at least in that basic form. The technology is only going through a certain phase right now. At least the "software vs. analog hardware" debate makes more sense in the long run ;)

Last edited:
thats true, i have a folder with like 40 combi patches i've made that i semi-frequently use (i don't want all my **** to sound the same). It is quicker to go back to that and such. Still though, i do not think it's as fast as working with an mpc. Basically my point is that the hands on feel hardware has is in general quicker then using a mouse

I think people are looking at computer software the wrong way. Computers are still hands on. You can buy any number of interfaces you like so you can make the experience more pleasurable for you. But that is the thing, you can add whatever you like and you are limited to some particular manufacturer's range of add ons.

I use kontakt 2 and battery, and I have trinity keyboard as my controller along with Frontier Design Tranzport controller and the mackie universal controller. I have a fantom xr sound module too. But I have been using it less because I feel I can be far more creative staying in the software realm.

Last edited:
Back