Saying Goodbye to Maschine

M

M.E.T.H.O.D...MAN

I split a maschine mk2 with my friend in June as we both make beats together. I had to leave unexpectedly so we do not live together anymore and I am getting 300 back from him so he can keep the maschine. I am now left without a DAW and need a fresh start. With the release of maschine 2.0 II feel it is still not up to the standards of a DAW and also, it is 1000 dollars. I can get many of the top DAWS for less than half that. I make hip hop beats but would like the option of expanding to eventually record my guitar and make professional sounding tracks. I would like a DAW with a fast workflow and something that can be used from beginning to end without having to "bounce out this to that or rewire this into that." I have fl studio sitting on my comp from awhile ago, and although I am already very familiar with it but it isn't the best for recording and its mixer is kind of beat... plus all of the stock sounds are garbage. I am looking for a DAW that can allow me to make beats easily and then be able to mix them in a great setting... I have a PC and am looking at Live Reason or Cubase. Whichever one I pick I will stick with and learn inside and out. Or does anybody thing this will be a waste of time and to stick to FL and upgrade to 11 for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think you need something other than FL studio I would recommend going with Cubase and I don't think there is anything wrong with ReWiring both together to have the best of both worlds, simplicity and complexity.

FL Studio is great due to it's simplicity while Cubase tends to be more comprehensive and thus has a steeper learning curve.

There is all sorts of stuff you can do in Cubase that you just can't do in FL Studio, for example FL Studio is missing an entire MIDI editor that even sequencers from the 80's have! so in comparison to Cubase FL Studio still comes off a bit like it was made by Fisher-Price.....or perhaps it would be fairer to compare FL Studio to Lego and Cubase to Meccano.

seriously have to say pick one and learn then do the same a few more times - pick a few and apply what you have already learned to the new one

I use in no particular preference or order: cubase, reason, reaper, pure data, audacity, fl 10, finale notepad 2k5, audition

Download the demo for Presonus Studio 1.
I use it( i've used almost every D.A.W) but i think within the next few years S1 will become
more and more popular as well as more widely used.
The interface is nice and simple to use.The engine is pristine and the drag and drop feature is
insanely easy to use.
It comes with instruments and sounds but it can be used to record live instruments so,you'll
be able to do everything from beginning to end in it.

Sure FL is easier to use but it doesn't mean it's better.
Also if you're looking for a "more professional" D.A.W,S1 is it.
Peace

Last edited:
maschine doesn't try to be a daw, it is what it is and its pretty good at it. if you want a full blown daw just pick one, it doesn't matter they all do the same thing. you'll get more out of learning one in and out than bouncing around and know a bunch just ok

Download the demo for Presonus Studio 1.
I use it( i've used almost every D.A.W) but i think within the next few years S1 will become
more and more popular as well as more widely used.
The interface is nice and simple to use.The engine is pristine and the drag and drop feature is
insanely easy to use.
It comes with instruments and sounds but it can be used to record live instruments so,you'll
be able to do everything from beginning to end in it.

Sure FL is easier to use but it doesn't mean it's better.
Also if you're looking for a "more professional" D.A.W,S1 is it.
Peace

I like the direction Studio One is heading in, especially in regard to hardware, but there are a few things that still need improving, like last time I looked Studio One had no drum editor, but it's still a very impressive program given that it hasn't been around for all that long.

So... You're basically just asking everyone which DAW they prefer. There's a large thread for this already in the "Software" section, "Name Your DAW 2013", with a poll to measure popularity.

If you asked for a particular set of features, I could make a specific recommendation, but you said:

I am looking for a DAW that can allow me to make beats easily and then be able to mix them in a great setting

This is pretty vague, so each person will simply recommend whatever he's liking at the moment.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I am also gonna throw out there that Maschine 2.0 is not $1,000. The Maschine Studio controller is $1,000. The regular Maschine is still $600 and the Mikro is still $300. You could also buy a used Maschine and get the software update for $99 since it works with all of the Maschine controllers. MK1 controllers are going for like $200 on ebay right now. I don't want to think about what the Mikro MK1 is going for. Either way pick a tool you like and rock with it. Nobody can tell you what tool that is. For example I do not like FL Studio. I never have and I don't care how many people swear by it I still do not like FL Studio and that's okay.

Well If I were to ever get another maschine I would not skimp and get another mk2... I would get the studio as I have seen it in person at dubspot and its integration with the 2.0 software is much better than the mk2 which has a bunch of workarounds to get the same things done. Plus I do not play live so portability is not something I care about. I also just finished the maschine course at dubspot so to jump on another DAW after I just spent much time learning the ins and outs of maschine is going to be difficult. But, maschine is not quite there yet in terms of being an interface that I do not need to leave to get my beats ready for the radio and online... There are still some basic things that they neglected that I am sure will be in another update that costs more money. Sure it has a mixer now but so do most drum maschines... and that does not justify spending more than twice what most leading DAW's cost that can do much more. Sure maschine will be even more awesome in the future... I love making beats with it and will not be able to easily go back to clicking the mouse as opposed to hitting the pads, but after this crap they just pulled with not releasing the 1.9 update and going straight into a new controller and 2.0 after many of us had just bought the mk2 this year is an inconsiderate move. Now anyone who buys the mk2 currently will get the 2.0 update... but if you bought it even a month or two ago you would have to pay 99 bucks for 2.0. I feel like if I shell out the cash for the studio than in a year or two who is to say they don't release another controller that is "a game changer, yada yada." My options right now are as follows... Use FL for a few months until I can get the cash for the studio (Also waiting for an update or two to make sure I made the right decision), go with reason 7 and buy a midi keyboard controller which will still be a few hundo less than the studio, or start fresh and learn a more professional DAW like studio one, Cubase, or Sonar. I did hear that the stock sounds in the earlier maschine trumped the stock reason sounds... And the new 2.0 update has insane new sounds. The drum synth pretty much guarantees you do not need anymore drum sounds ever.

Don't get it twisted though... I am not a mixing engineer who would like the ability to make beats... I am a beat maker/producer first. So I am not as concerned about the advanced mixing features that Cubase, Pro tools, Studio One, etc. offers because it may be overkill for me. I just want an interface that allows me to quickly get my ideas out with great stock sounds and effects so that I am not VST hunting just to make a decent track. would then like an area where it is easy to record my guitar into. I have a dedicated mixing engineer who records my artists for me and mixes and masters the final track. But as far as putting my beats up for display online and getting people to notice them... I need a nice mixing area in the DAW that will allow me to get good quality mixes without my brain hurting from having to do 3 months of tutorials to learn how to slide a fader.I have a PC by the way, which stops me from looking at Logic, which is a shame... Demoed Cubase and studio one- they look better for guys recording multiple instruments and making more rock and things like that than for a guy who uses midi instruments to make hip hop. Might be more than I need as I want a beat making environment first and a good mixer (Does not have to be world class) second. I hear many good things about reason but at the same time I would hate to learn another DAW after learning maschine and FL and then the in a year the maschine is on par with all DAWS and has even better workflow... (Because let's be honest... if maschine eventually contains all of the features of a full fledged DAW, which it almost does as is, the fact that the workflow already kills most DAW's will make it a no brainer for hip hop and EDM guys. The possibility of making and mixing a competitive beat (Easily) using only maschine in standalone is pretty much what producers who use maschine have been waiting for. this way they do not have to bounce out to another DAW and then reset the way they think to compensate for the pointing and clicking annoyances that ensue.) Sorry for the rant guys... Just about to spend a decent amount of money and do not want to make a mistake.

But

I may

Well If I were to ever get another maschine I would not skimp and get another mk2... I would get the studio as I have seen it in person at dubspot and its integration with the 2.0 software is much better than the mk2 which has a bunch of workarounds to get the same things done.

I just posted basically the same thing over on the Maschine forums, but this is blasphemy to the mods over there. They don't understand that "new/shiny" does not always equal "better".

When I pick up the Studio with 2.0, I will likely still be using 1.8.2 with my MK2.

-Ki
Salem Beats

FP doesn't

Auto-combine posts anymore?

-Ki
Salem Beats

not since the update on 28 Oct '13, but I do merge when appropriate

the even more annoying "new" feature is the occasional double posting for no apparent reason - so have to delete more duplicate posts than before as well

Last edited:
not since the update on 28 Oct '13, but I do merge when appropriate

the even more annoying "new" feature is the occasional double posting for no apparent reason - so have to delete more duplicate posts than before as well

And the self-destruct timer on the "edit" button.

From time to time, I do like to edit posts from a long time ago when I notice a discrepancy (or need to update an OP).

Now it seems that there's a timer -- you can edit only recent posts. Maybe I'm wrong, though -- maybe you just can't edit posts which were made before the upgrade, or something.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
editing has always been limited to 24 hours (at least since I became a member 3 years ago) - part of fp's charm offensive, really. I too prefer to be able to edit at leisure, but it part of the policy drive to make folks think before they hit send (not that you would notice it having areal affect) - being a mod now gives me that leisure.

In some threads, as long as you were the last person to post and the auto-merging button is turned on, you can post years later and then be able to edit the old post as if it were posted just now..... one of the few pluses to self-bumping a thread

- of more fun is the dudes who come back 3-6 years after making a post and now want it deleted because on their latest vanity search it pops up near the top and shows that they were mindless fools back in the day - we can't do it and have to explain carefully (sometimes multiple times) why we can't do it, including reminding them that google has cached everything that was ever posted and long term stored on-line - part of the spider/bot invasion of the 90's - so even if we delete it, there is still a copy out there to be found by anyone who chooses to chase it down.....

Back