RM1x/Sampler Combination - Breakbeat Tip of the Century

D

DYEONE

This is for anybody sequencing with an RM1x and use it to control 'sampled' chopped up breakbeats (not the internal sounds).

Are you sick of spending hours trying to create variations to breakbeats using your sampler or messing about in 'Fruity' or whatever you use, wouldn't it be good if you could do this simply by ...... (ooops, nearly gave it away).

E-mail me at the address below with your credit card details and i'll give you the RM1x/sampler breakbeat creation tip of the century.
It's that good believe (unless you already know it !)

Rich.

You pikey git Rich!! Just post it up. Or maybe you're scared that it's rubbish and everyone knows it already?;)

Go on fella, post up your top-tip.

KasioRoks

OK Here it is.......

Ok, Ok, .... It was worth a try though, ha ha !
I thought I could make millions from being some breakbeat pioneer, but looks like I’ll just have to stick to my day job for now and give the tip for free.
(Sorry to anybody who already paid, no refunds I’m afraid !!!)

Here's the tip;

Get a drum loop/break, I used an 'amen' when I discovered this so maybe you should do the same for the instant buzz factor it gives?

For best results use a 2 bar loop (each bar being 'slightly' different gives much better effect).

Chop the whole break into 16 pieces (8 per bar) and map each piece across the 16 keys in the same order as the original break, so that upon playback it plays the same as it did to start with.

Now here's the exciting bit;
Go into the 'Play Fx' and adjust one of the harmonizer increments up by 1 (notice the difference ?)
You'll notice that with each increment increase it gives the break a whole new slant, in other words a variation to the original break.

Now go the full hog and turn up 'Harmonizer 2' also and your break just increases in quality, and variation no end.

The number of variations possibilities are endless (depending on the length of the original break of course), and what before took you hours trying to re-arrange each hit using your sequencer or fruity (or whatever) can now be done simply by turning 1 (or 2) knobs.

The other benefit here is that when trying to create variations of breaks manually using a sequencer/fruity the problems I find is I can create wicked variations no problem, but they don't sit well with each other when sequenced in a track as they end up being a bit too different to each other.
By using this effect the variation created is more of a progression and doesn't sound too varied at all when switching.

Another good tip is to change the increments in real time, instead of leaving the harmonizer set at 1 point (even though it does sound killa), try adjusting in real time half way through the cycle of the break and again you'll get an entirely new version.

Try also using the 'Octaver' function to create a similar effect (albeit less dramatic).

So there it is and anybody wanting to send me cash, gifts, or loose women my e-mail address is stated below, your generosity will of course be appreciated.

In all seriousness though, this is a blinding tip which anybody using an RM1x in conjunction with a sampler to produce breakbeat influenced music should take note, as it gives blinding results every time.

Hope it's of real benefit to you all.

im thinking of gettin an RM1X....has anyone tried this tip?

heheh, i see you have picked up on the wonders of the rm1x's real time midi manipulation abilities as well :)

i use the thing for my live sets and those little knobs that nobody knows what to use for really do come in handy at times :)

that midi delay is usefull too :)

Too right, i've had the RM for quite a while now and always found the Harmonizer's annoying and pretty useless when used with synth'y type sounds, but when used like this with a sampler it just take's on new life.

The only thing i have to stress with using the technique i posted is to make sure your drums are chopped accurately to the beat and not just equal divisions of the whole loop, it just sounds messy otherwise.

Does anybody know if there is a 'CC' for the harmonizer's, if you just overdub you only get the new notes recorded, but if you could program the function it would be a whole new world.

I know what you mean about the delay, i have some tricks up my sleeve for that one also (sssshhhhhhh).

Back