"Reason" Vs "FL Studio" Sound Quality....What Do You Think?...

wuts good fp fam?.....i started makin beats in 2002 on Fl Studio, But i switched to "Reason" in about 2006 and have been using it every since.....but i was getting tired of using tha same refills, so i decided to make a beat in "Fl Studio" today and use vsts....The beat was ok but when i exported it and listened to it, the sound quality just wasnt as crisp as wouldve been in "Reason"....i dont know if its just me or if im just tripping...lol..wut do u think?

I am a hardcore Reason head but I highly doubt that FLStudio's sound quality is inferior because I know plenty of producers who use it and create some phat mixes using just FLStudio.

Reason just might have a better interface for you for mixing but that is subjective.

Wow, surprised there are still people out there that think there is a difference.
I always bring this up, but when you flip the polarity of 2 samples exported from 2 different programs, and you get silence that means the two tested daws sound the same.
They all should test identical resulting in a null in every instance.
Now after doing a null test, and finding 2 different daws are the same try adding some "color" you know the "color" some people think is already there. Add something in a very small dose like a 0.3db boost in eq at 10khz, and now suddenly the files will no longer null.
Even smaller eq adjustments will keep the files from canceling out.
Just goes to show that if there were any "color" differences between daws that it would stick out like a sore thumb in testing.

here we go again..i mean reason vs. fruity loops? i would say reason because i first learned on reasons. i think fruity loops is easy to use and has ok sound quality.reason sound quality sounds the same without any plugin activated. any raw sound is going to sound the same. Just upgrade your sound kits and im pretty sure you will be better off. Overall im a reason fan to be honest. Just better organized and you can nicely and neatly adjust any notes or music in your project. soundclick backslash PushinKEYZ check it out

fl studio limits u wen u r pushing it for more power

I made tracks on fl... but the bass... the boom, the environment s hard to get... u have to tweak a lot of equilizers

Last edited:
Can't speak on Reason vs. Fruityloops. I do know that coming from all hardware beatmaking years ago, that Reason is pretty damn solid and love every minute of using it.

I'm surprised people still ask this question. It' reminds me of the time someone posted (years ago) saying that copying MP3s degraded the quality slightly with each copy.

reason produces a more crisp sound , without any additional mixing done. I asked myself the same question when i made to switch from fl to reason

http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/app_audio.htm This article contains everything you need to know about the difference in "audio quality" between DAWS.

Certain DAWS may be better fitted for certain people, but please understand when it comes to fidelity/quality, there is absolutely no difference between major DAWS. Please educate yourselves. I think it would be a good idea to put this link in a sticky to help people out in the future.

Last edited:
that is hardly going to be unbiased as it is on the FL site - large multi-pound/kg bags of salt need to be taken with anything that a daw maker has to say on the subject of which daws audio engine is better and why

I was afraid of that response... (eye roll)

I assure you nothing in that article is biased, but then again don't take my word for it, watch the audio myths workshop video at the bottom of the page I linked. Noone on that panel works for any DAW companies.

Besides, at no time they claimed any particular DAW "engine" is better. Most if not all of what was said in the article was also mentioned in the video and is backed up by scientific explanation. There is no parroting or brain-washed babble from audio companies involved.

Last edited:
sound quality

Every DAW is the same..I don't get why you hear a difference. You only get out what you put into it.

Every DAW is not the same. Different sound engine and different algorithms equal diffferent sound quality. Reason is modeled after ol' school analogue gear, with an analogue feel. The mixer was based on the classic SSL mixer. For me, reason sounds a little dull (dark) so i find myself addind lots of high end for that sharp crispness. FL studio was designed more for electronic dance music so. To me it sounds more digital (crispier imo). If you want a crispier sound in fl, turn the high end up a lil til it sounnds like its a little bit too much right before you bounce down. Dont forget tube distortion, it can add color.

funny thing is your tube distortion is an emulation of an analogue source in the digital domain - the distortion is digital not analogue

as for the rest - the underlying math engines will be different but the end product comes out of the same DAC's so the so called hallmarks are figments of our imaginations.

The daw engines and summing algorithms may be different but 24-bit or 44.1khz means the same thing no matter where you are. What you determine as quality -"crispness" or "analogue warmth" are terms that leave room for interpretation, it has nothing to do with quality. What you think is "crisp", I may feel sounds "brittle" or vice versa. Everyone has their own tastes but just because you think something has a unique sound to it that could be described by one of these words does not mean it has anything to do with quality.

Now about mix "crispness"...
I don't work like that, if I feel I have to make my mix "crisper" by dropping processing on the whole print bus as a whole then I've failed to make the mix sound the way I wanted it to by the end of the mix. I don't understand blindly skewing the tonality of everything in my mix because one thing sounds off. Not knocking those that do, but I don't understand this approach.

Personally I don't use FL that much anymore, my main DAW is cubase now, not because I think it sounds better, but because it is more effecient with resources I've found and this matters to me probably more than others because I tend to run several large kontakt orchestral libraries. Where I would get slow downs and even crashes (yes I've changed settings) in FL, cubase pulls through far more often.

to sum it all up, no DAW will make you music sound great, or like shyt. That's all on you. You go about different approaches to get similar results from DAW to DAW as you do from outboard setup to outboard setup. Not because of inferiorities, but because of variants.

You want a better sound? It's never gonna be as easy as changing programs. LEARN HOW TO MIX.

Back