is reason a professional program?

Makes me laugh when you mention reason and prodigy if you go to the propellerhead website Liams all for Reason , ive seen later interviews on other sites where he's not so hot for reason he only uses it as a sketch pad on a labtop and thats all...wonder what freebies he got off propellerhead for that interview ?.......Basically liam uses Pro-tools and reason is his little scrap book.....whilst im here you might as well checkout the ranting squirrel
http://www.illwillpress.com/rant.html

contains bad language be warned!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
CANE CREEK said:
Ive backed reason up for years now saying how good it is...but i was only kidding myself , i just don't like being stuck in an eviroment when there lots of fun happening outside..... [/B]

So why don't you just use reason for sequencing and buy a synth? Of course the sounds in reason aren't the best. It may be just me, but the real power of reason is in its simplicity to compose.

There is nothing wrong with Reason it's as 'pro' sounding as you make it.

IMO, if you know what your doing with eq, compression and basic synthesis, you can create awesome stuff within Reason.

People made quality stuff 10yrs ago with far less power than Reason gives you, it is not the tools, it is how you use them.

People seem to want everything 'on a plate' for them these days and forget how to really learn the gear they have.
Instead they 'wander' from one program to the next, never really discovering the real power inside.

Those who think Reason sounds like a toy, obviously dont know how to exploit their sound, something that will be apparent whatever they use.

Delphine said:

People seem to want everything 'on a plate' for them these days and forget how to really learn the gear they have.
Instead they 'wander' from one program to the next, never really discovering the real power inside.

in the words of mano1: BLAM!

nicely written

The question isn't so much wether or not your software is professional or not. You can produce with anything that will let you sample or record midi or digital audio. It doesn't matter what you use it takes time and practice to get all out of any program. Personally use Sonar 3 Producer Edition and I love it. Software won't make you any better of a producer. I would personally recomend a cakewalk product. They're versitile, good quality and you can buy pro or amatuer versions. But don't jump around pick something and stick with it.

Delphine said:
There is nothing wrong with Reason it's as 'pro' sounding as you make it.

IMO, if you know what your doing with eq, compression and basic synthesis, you can create awesome stuff within Reason.

People made quality stuff 10yrs ago with far less power than Reason gives you, it is not the tools, it is how you use them.

Those who think Reason sounds like a toy, obviously dont know how to exploit their sound, something that will be apparent whatever they use.

Agreed. A lot of so called "vintage" gear was gear that people made popular through strong production skills and creative thinking which made certain hardware/software sought after. Think the 303 when it first came out, a lot of people despised it and didn't know how to make heads or tails of it, but the minute some guy sees the beauty of the gear and transforms it to a beatiful musical intrument all da sudden everyone must have it because its professional/Warm/etc. I've heard some amazing things done in Reason, it is very versitile and the sonic possibilites are limitless. I've made some great songs with just reason, and will admit I wish certain functions were added to Reason, but what piece of equipment do you know of that does not have some form of limitation. Visit ReasonStation.net and look up Sasmith, Taron, and Badspellah, to see some awesome examples of the use of Reason.

This thread has been interesting. I've recently begun tinkering with Reason & ProTools, and Reason has been exceedingly frustrating for me. I'm still working with it, but I'm starting to lose patience. So far, my "best" beat has come from chopping and sequencing in ProTools, but I still needed Reason for the drums, which my producing partner actually programmed.
Divstah said:
First of all, and I think this is a valid point. There IS NO TIME INDICATION!
No minute;Seconds;milliseconds to help you work. IMHO this is a bit unprofessional. When thinking about radio productions, scores, and other situations when this would prove to be INVALUABLE for a producer. I think this is a bit weak, especially given the genious of the rest of the program.
Haha, this is one of my biggest gripes, but my production partner doesn't see it as one.

physix said:

The best tool that is "right for you" as you put it is one that melts well with your creativity. It's hard to pull one out of thin air that you will work well with not kowing anything abot you, how you create, WHAT you're creating, and ultimately what you're looking for.

But, the cool thing is, most of the big boys have demo versions that are free to download on their website.

Go to www.cakewalk.com... down the demo of Sonar 3.0. Test it out. Then, go to www.steinberg.de and download the demo for Cubase or Nuendo. Try it out.

Go down the list.

Whichever you felt comfortable with, purchase that one.

They all pretty much do the same, with little things here and there. But it's HOW the program does it or the procedures involved that makes one program preferable over another.

That's the best thing you can do before dropping $700+ USD on a program that doesn't fit your needs.

theres a demo for cubase?

quiz said:
I used to use FL to produce but ive just started using reason. and all i really want to know is if reason is a pro program that big producers use to make their tracks or is it on the same level as fruity?

Why do you think all the car commercials sound like Reason demos?

:D

Divstah said:
First of all, and I think this is a valid point. There IS NO TIME INDICATION!
No minute;Seconds;milliseconds to help you work. IMHO this is a bit unprofessional.
If Reason claimed to be a end-all completesolution your comments would be apt.

Reason has only ever claimed to be a soft-rack of synths, effects, and a sortof tacked-on sequencer as almost an afterthought.

I have an Emu Command Station ... is it "unprofessional" because it doesn't have a hh:mm:ss:ff display?

Both Reason and the Command Station lock up just fine to a MOTU MIDI Timpiece AV ... which is the kind of thing you really need to do professional Film/Video/TV work in the first place.

Everybodys buying reason. it's versatile, it slaves, bounces 16/24bit audio... At the Audio Engineers Society convention both Cakewalk and Digidesign rewired to reason in their major presentations to pros. whether for its quality or popularity? I don't know. But the nnxt sounded great sampling gun shots in X-Men 2 post production. Another major thing reason is doing is opening the artistic world of music composition and audio processing to people as young as 13. That's a fairly inexpensive birthday present that inspires and supports creativity with user friendliness.
I know that has nothing to do with the origional question, but I had to throw my thought into the debate. peace.

"...reason is doing is opening the artistic world of music composition ..."

I'm not too fussy about this stuff, but maybe a better choice of words would be "music production"...

;)

Is Reason a professional program?

Yes.

So is Acid, Fruity Loops and whatever else you can use to get professional results. I used Fruity, Acid, and Cakewalk and all are nice but I prefer Reason due to soooooo much you can do with it. I've had it since ver 1.0 (and messed with Rebirth before all of those). It doesnt matter what you use, its HOW you use it.

a friend of mine just sold two tracks she made to a dance label from BUZZ MACHINES.

yes, you heard right.

All made on BUZZ.

And that's a free application.

So, how much you pay for a program
certainly has no bearing on the
professionalism... nor does other
people's opinions on it.

It's simply what you as the artist
can and cannot do with it that really
counts.

James Holden uses Buzz, doesnt stop him knocking out successful tracks either.

Its what you do, not what youve got!

The bottom line...

Anything and everything is of professional quality when in professional hands. Equipment doesn't give us the professional sound; professionals who know what they're doing do.

This is all assuming that your definiton of professional quality is the sort of thing you'd hear in mass media.

Technically, being a professional entails nothing other than receiving compensation for a service rendered. Music has always been and will always be the person behind it.

Now to put my two cents into a few threads here all at once, the software you use (and most of you download, tsk tsk) has no effect on the music you make. Myself and anyone else here could easily do anything we wanted with the ever popular Fruity Loops, yet when I go to work I sit beside a hefty Pro Tools rig. Why? Because of the quality of the signal path. I could reproduce anything I've ever done in Fruity Loops, but it wouldn't sound as clear and true to myself and other audio engineers. The thing you have to see is that nobody but us audio engineers really notices these differences in sonic quality. The musical content is the same, but for us frequency nerds and audiophiles it's about true, clean sound. Those of us who are professionals can afford such things as Pro Tools rigs and incredible home audio systems with gorgeous tube amps and beautiful speakers. Those who aren't probably can't, but nobody will notice the quality of your signal. Nobody cares. It's about the musical content, and that's all there is to it.

Now go make some music.

Back