Reason... MIDI notes panning??...help

DJ CoLLaTeRaL

A.R.M. Music
I am currently using reason for the past 3 months, and i've been trying to figure out if midi notes can be panned in the sequencer, I only see velocity.......

Only way i see the notes can be panned is if I do automation clips which is a bummer...

FL, Cubase and more than likely other programs allow me to pan midi notes in the piano roll.....

Example: a hi hat, congo...etc... u get the drift...

Thanks for the reply .

You don't pan notes. Notes are only triggers for an instrument. So what you'd need to pan is the output of the instrument device itself. You would do that through the mixer. Separate each drum sound into its own mixer channel.

ok... well in FL it can pan multiple hits of and hi hat left to right ...right to left etc .. with out need to ue the mixer channel or the channel pan. can do it in cubase too...

thx for reply..bless

keep your blessings to yourself please - not everyone believes as you do.

Now I have never seen this feature you describe in Cubase unless it is a controller implementation inside of the piano roll editor. If so, then it is automation, which is what you have to do in Reason. In other words, you have already been engaged in automation, although you haven't realised it.

Reason's implementation is to have a separate controller channel rather than have it in with the notes. The moment you add the parameter automation channel, however, you have direct access to it in the piano roll editor:

reasonPanning.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/audio/reasonPanning.mp3[/mp3]

4a9fdc870f38990fa84ff5d226b37083f898def72cfd0dd7ccace895472c0d175g.jpg

So i basically cant do it independently of each note like this?
(pannig hats or perc)

You obviously didn't look at my image closely enough - I showed an automation curve. You can fine edit to 64ths if you wish. You need to make two entries: one to ensure the pan position stays in place for the previous note and one to shift it to the new position

ok ..I understood u.... was jus wonderin about the note by note with out drawing automation..

respect for tha help bandcoach

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

umm....@bandcoach... do you know how to make the sound pan left or right each time u play a key??.... Ran thru some patches of thor once which did that...... how is that generally done?...any example would be fine..THX

Last edited:
that would be done in the step sequencer - you can program it to follow your played pitch, and still switch pan side by side.

check out clippy filters [run] in thor and open the programmer.

Above the step sequencer, you have a a routing setup in green.

On the left side you choose how you want to modulate a parameter.
In this case choose S.Curve1 or S.Curve2. Amount is 100. Set dest to Amp->Pan. Amount 100.

QED.

You can add this as an additional patch to the setup and you should be able to then modify the curve to affect the pan position per note in the step sequencer.

Last edited:
keep your blessings to yourself please - not everyone believes as you do.
wtf is that?

My question then just so I'm learning myself is:
Is this something where you want perspective such as hi-hat always more to the left to portray stereo spread such as in real life?

or:
Is this something where you want notes to be randomly or alternating from one speaker to another in dance-type track?

I initially thought (based upon your drum references) that you just wanted positional type of audio and panning in the mixer i best for that. But for the other, Thor is a beast and can do some wicked things. I record guitars so I haven't gotten deep enough into Thor to know how. But I'm interested to learn.

wtf is that?

First response the OP gave included a bless at the end - I come from a perspective where you don't thrust your personal religious beliefs upon others unless you know that they believe in the same things - it would be the equivalent of an animist making a blessing for a christian - many born-agains would be revolted by the idea and would vehemently importune the animist to refrain from doing it.

I also note that the OP understood and didn't take offence at the request.

Is this something where you want perspective such as hi-hat always more to the left to portray stereo spread such as in real life?

or:
Is this something where you want notes to be randomly or alternating from one speaker to another in dance-type track?

From the context, it would seem the latter, with the hats moving from side to side - radical panning for radical effect.

I initially thought (based upon your drum references) that you just wanted positional type of audio and panning in the mixer i best for that. But for the other, Thor is a beast and can do some wicked things. I record guitars so I haven't gotten deep enough into Thor to know how. But I'm interested to learn.

Agreed panning individual instrument positions in a traditional mix is best done at the mixer or submixer.

Thor opens so many posiibilities for this sequenced panning.

You could also use a Matrix and use a bipolar curve to directly affect the panning of a mixer channel, but you would be limited to 32 notes in any one pattern, but a chain of patterns would achieve the desired result

wtf is that?

or:

since i said thor..i mean synth sounds ....i know how to alternate randomly wid lfo to pan amp already......but pressing a key and the soudn pans directly left or right.. then pressing any key again the sound pans to the opposite channel...

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

um.... wasnt imposing no religion crap...jus a slang...bless..respect...dawdi...pawdii..u zimi? go easy.... (Jamaican..)

Back