Reason or Cubase????

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eTERNITY416

hi,
first off I just wanna give mad props to Meno (is that ur name?) for creating this forum..... it just just incredible and I love it already even though I just signed up a few days ago...

Now to my question.... :)

I'm a newbie to producing music... have never tried it and just started to learn about the whats/why/hows of it ? I'm really into electronic music especially hardhouse & trance and would like to test my hands on creating my own music... I was just wondering what programme should I get Reason or Cubase?? :confused: from reading other posts I know that Reason has basically everything packaged with it.... Is Cubase the same/as good??? I do not want to put in any money buying hardware..... yes no hardware.. its too expensive for me...

Please help me out here folks... thanks in advance :hello:

I don't really know much about either, except that Reason is easier (for me) to understand, manipulate, edit, navigate, control and use. I have both installed on my puter, but I usually last no longer than ~30mins when I am trying to figure cubase out.

Since you aren't buying hardware, go with Reason

compared to cubase .. Reason is uttermost crap, but then again go with reason (trust me on this.) you can always expand to cubase later on. Reason is a good prog for beginners and covers all the basics (and is much cheaper..), cubase is far more complex, but more powerfull too, but far more expensive too. (you'll need synth plugs (VSTi) to even make sound out of it, or use hardware :) It will take a while before you hear why reason isn't a pro prog, but it's easy to learn, and that knowledge will help you on your way when you start using more professional progs (cubase has a rather heavy learning curve if you're not familliar with the basic concepts of mixing and digital audio/midi.)

:angel:

Cubase and Reason are two very difrent programs I sugest before you buy anything you research what sequencers are and so on. do some searches.

taos

before you jump into the water ...

Reason is not crap. Cubase is not God :-)
Cubase is 1 of a few so called "multi track sequencers" and Reason is ...a hardware equipment studio emulator .it has a sequencer and very nice emulator of a rack with modules + mixer.if you're not familiar with these - it's educating,
and if you are - amusing [waving cables in the back].

you can create good music with both. the "problem" here is that many people pay lots of money for their programs and in order to feel better with themselves they try to convince you: "if it's complicated to use, and expensive, [and i've got it] --> it's goooood"
{this is almost as meaningless as the argument of
what is better: analog or digital analog modeling}

now reason has only 4 virtual instruments + Rewire and about 10 effects, while Cubase has hundreds of each, but i think as soon as Propellerheads insert VST compatability into Reason, it will RULE :-)

the quality of sound .... ?
both proggies support upto 24 bit at 96khz.

about hardware [you've said it's expensive].
in order to use both programs with their powers full on,
you'll need at least a keyboard midi controller.
[u can emulate it with pc kbd, but it sucks big time: no velocity, no pitchbend in realtime]

last thing:

try both, demos, or full, read the manuals and see what do u like more :)

then get you a copy of it

Good Luck !
PLUR

Cubase, hello?!

Reason is uttermost crap. A LOT of the sounds that are produced out of it do sound the same, and if you learn Cubase then you are in really good shape for when you are presented to other apps. Reason is not very good for you - it will take you longer to expand your sequencing possibilities if you're using just reason. I suggest that you get Cubase and some VSTi's and mess around with it.

I personally would never touch reason for more then the time I tried the demo. Compared to a real sequencer it's utter crap. Sorry all you guys that love it, but a real sequencer is for me the way-to-go.
In a real sequencer you have total visual control off all MIDI controllers and events. Reason got a sequencer too, but it's really not the same.
The VST programs you can get with cubase are better than the reason proggies too.
Under all circumstances buying cubase will enable you to control external hardware in the future, should you ever buy some.
And if you get 'nuff into the production you will, cause the sound of hardware is way better than what can be produced on a computer.

I have both

Have both....

Use Reason....

Never produced anything with Cubase, although the VST was cool before FruityLoops3 came out with VST capability.

Maybe if I took a class in Cubase I would like it, but Reason is usable from the moment you run the executable.

Since I have both, I'll continue to experiment with Cubase. I agree that when Reason can plug-in VST instruments, Cubase won't have any benefit for me.

:)
Sumner

Sequencers . . . ?

actually i got reason and cubase and to b honest i couldnt make head or tails or reason but cubase. . . . . . . . . . .it is simple ....play, stop, record. . . . . .drag and drop blocks . . and so on . . .

call me stupid but hey . . . thats how it goes . . . . . . .

so if u r looking for a easy simple to use prog use cubase ......the best i have used so far . . . .. .

peaceout . . . .DoN:mad:

dont know, for producing electronic music-Reason4.0+recycle are the best.maby for rockmusic production cubase goes better!you dont even need VST for trancemusic production!

I think of Reason as an instrument and Cubase as a DAW. Reason is so powerful because of its ReWire function so you can use it (just like a VST) within another program like Ableton Live or Cubase.

Anyways, both are great programs.

I own both and use both... I find that Cubase is a higher standard, more versatile tool. I use reason as a plugin(rewire) in cubase when I need extra synths. But as far as production goes, Cubase is it.

ORSUP said:
I own both and use both... I find that Cubase is a higher standard, more versatile tool. I use reason as a plugin(rewire) in cubase when I need extra synths. But as far as production goes, Cubase is it.
I too am a Cubase user, I meet regularly with Greg Ondo "The Master Yoda of everything Steinberg".<script src="http://shots.snap.com//client/inject.js?site_name=0" type="text/javascript"></script>

its an interesting threas. old though. cats back then seem 2 just have like a "f reason" type of mindset. its a gr8 program bt I'm more of a cubase type of guy. though the latency gets 2 me sometimes

D-ZEE said:
its an interesting threas. old though. cats back then seem 2 just have like a "f reason" type of mindset. its a gr8 program bt I'm more of a cubase type of guy. though the latency gets 2 me sometimes

That's not a Cubase problem. You need to get your soundcard and driver game together. Cubase is getting 64 sample latency over here. We're talking 2ms latency with no problem in Windows Vista. I generally work at 128 samples and don't even think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back