Reason 5--Dr. Octorex

R

rhymesmif

Quick question:

Just made the switch from 4 to 5 and for the life of me I can't figure out how put a Recycled sample into the doc and just play it with the midi without it sounding all jumbled. It sounds like it plays back at a higher octave much faster than I play the key. Any idea?

*Update* I'm just going back to 4, no reason to learn a whole new dynamic when the one I had worked, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dr Octorex is cool if you want to learn it but imo Kong can achieve the same things and is more in depth with the Rex Loop player. Try it. Imo Reason 5 is a lot better than version 4 which I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with.

I dig what you're saying, I'm just an extreme creature of habit when it comes to my DAWs--I've literally tried every one possible on PC and the way 4 is set up just flows better than anything else. True, I haven't given 5 a fair shot but I haven't really seen anything there that would justify the upcurve in learning.

theres no real upcurve just added features that work like everything else that was already there. It took me about an hour to adjust to Reason 5

Quick question:

Just made the switch from 4 to 5 and for the life of me I can't figure out how put a Recycled sample into the doc and just play it with the midi without it sounding all jumbled. It sounds like it plays back at a higher octave much faster than I play the key. Any idea?

I just save the recycle sample file as .rex2 file, then open Reason, load a Dr.OctoRex, and load the .rex2 file. Then I make sure I turn polyphony to 1 and Amp "R" to max. Also, I unclick the button for "playback audio" or something to that effect so that I dont get the fast tempo jumble garbage. Oh and make sure your transpose is set to 0 or 1 (can't remember which).

Below is a video tutorial on ReCycle and Reason Sampling, take a look and give feedback if possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xuXj3GNXY

That octorex is a real headache.

Has so many new and unlogical features. I hope they come with a patch that brings back Dr Rex!

The Dr Octorex is cool if you want to learn it but imo Kong can achieve the same things and is more in depth with the Rex Loop player. Try it. Imo Reason 5 is a lot better than version 4 which I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with.

So you can import rex files to the kong pads? ive been trying to import to the dr octorex, but it won't let me edit the chops i made. and is it possible to edit rex chops or do u have to go back to recycle?

Hope this tut help with what you are having problems with.

52 Reason / Record Tips - Week 28: Nurse Rex (Kong) Chunk Trig Tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RszBmc9wII8

WOW thanks a lot for this lol. im still tryin to get used to reason and that octorex kinda annoyed me. with this i can pretty much make beats using pretty much only the kong because I do sampled based hip hop. If only there was a way to refine chops u made in recycle without having to go back into recycle it would make my workflow easier

Why chop with Recycle? I use the sample editor now and do everything inside of Kong. I am also sample based.

Why chop with Recycle? I use the sample editor now and do everything inside of Kong. I am also sample based.

ok i had some trouble at first but now I figured out how to chop samples and duplicate them on pads. What wonders reading the manual does for you lol. Don't know if anybody needs help but if u want to chop samples and have them cut off like an mpc follow these steps

1. open up kong
2. edit your sample with the start and end points(mine was from live sampling so im not sure if it is the same with a .wav file but it probably is)
3. duplicate it
4. the duplicated sample will have the same start and end points. all you have to do is keep the endpoint and move the startpoint to it, then move endpoint to whever u want that chop to stop
5. repeat steps 3-4 till u have all your chops
6. open up nn nano sampler on all of the pads u need
7. import each chop onto each pad
8.set the pads on the same mute group

its pretty easy and pretty much the same method i use on maschine, but takes a little longer because theres no knobs to change the start + end points.

if Xabiton or anybody else has a quicker way, let me know. also is there a way to change the pitch for a whole group in kong?

Last edited:
if u click on a pad then click on the load button above the lcd u can go into the unused sample folder press select all and enter and all of your samples will be loaded to individual pads on kong automatically.

Just click enable loop playback off and then, change the Dr.OctoRex track number to "2", you should see a list of numbers, thats what i do and it works

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/eDAnCFzCiKk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/eDAnCFzCiKk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back