Reason 4?

jjennin86

I wanted peoples opinion on the best way to mix in reason 4?? Post some templates that u all use!! Keep the techniques comin!!:)

The best way to mix beats made in reason, in my opinion, would be to rewire it to another DAW, such as Reaper.

There is no such thing as a mixing template. And I hate mixing in Reason. I don't like the function of the mixer and hate the panning law. I like mixing in ProTools, Cubase, and Sonar. Sonar probably has the best sounding mixer but I like the editing and routing in ProTools the best. Cubase has really nice headroom when mixing. ProTools functions at 48bit and Cubase and Sonar have full 64bit mixing engine.

I absolutely hate the mixing in Reason though. ReWire it and track it out. Or get Record. The mixing in Record is amazing and it can open Reason songs right inside the software. It's like having Reason with an SSL mixer to route everything through.

I figured that..But i like the way the Mclass sounds....Ive heard about record tho...Anybody got an invite so I can test it out??? I have great concepts and good beats...but people say Im jus missing that professional mix

Mixing comes with a long, long, very long time just doing it and getting experienced. Also you need good monitors and a good treated room or they will never really get that much better. Once you get good at picking sounds that match then you get good at shaping them to fit better, then you get good at mixing them and glueing them together with compression. Mastering presets are a joke. And are not the same thing as mixing templates which do not exist.

I always mix the drums, bass and main element together first and then find a place for the other stuff. Then I use some master bus compression to tie it together so I can really hear how it's gonna sound. Just make sure you don't over compress, mix the bass too loud, or mix the bass too quiet. Those are the common newbie mistakes. Also pan things so that it makes sence.

i have a extra invite for record hit me up with your email via im.

I absolutely hate the mixing in Reason though. ReWire it and track it out. Or get Record. The mixing in Record is amazing and it can open Reason songs right inside the software. It's like having Reason with an SSL mixer to route everything through.

YUP JUST LIKE A REAL SSL.

Yall cats is nuts. Not understanding what an SSL sounds and behaves like, and thinking that a program like record could actually give you that sound.......

Yes they made it look like an SSL. and they also put a Master Buss compressor on it, but if you notice they did not get the tie in sponsorship from SSL. Because SSL only allows their name to be used apon their aproval, meaning that the product must truly stand up in a relative shoot out of the hardware SSL vs. The Software.

As you see, Line 6 gave propellerheads the tie in sponsorship, and use of their name, and SSL didnt.

I truly would like to know how many people on this forum have ever been in a studio and tracked a song using an SSL board. Not just watching youtube or reading magazines that say that its the best thing since air.

I have been around 2 SSL board, and didnt record anything. The studio session was for someone else and I was invited to sit in on the session, and thats it, but I saw it and heard it.

However there is an alarming number of people who have not, and swear that every plug-in or graphical representation of the SSL is "THE SH*T" .......... its funny like when people say that Pro Tools sounds better than Logic. It may function different than logic, but neither actuallly have a sound. Its the equipment and virtual settings of eq, pan, and plugins and hardware converteres and pre's that create "the sound."

Hey dudeee....

yeah i know where ya coming from man...

I used an SSL mixing board in college 3 years ago... i recorded a couple of track on it and needless to say there was no comparison between that and any home set up i've used since then.

SSL Wins everytime!

But i guess we gotta make the best of what we have....

I check out your stuff on myspace too man.

Nice tunes homie.

Let's see. There are blind test done with SSL plugs vs a real SSL board and many big name engineers that were familiar with SSL consoles couldn't tell which was which. So there are software emulations that do stack up to the real thing.

And the SSL emulation in Record is more than a look-a-like. It has full analog modeling. And most likely the reason that SSL doesn't endorse the Record emulation is the ton of contracts they have whored themselves out to already. And Propellerhead went on record saying that they didn't ask for their endorsement. They just modeled a console that they wanted to use.

I have used real SSL boards so don't talk like i'm an idiot. I know that there is a part of analog that you can never duplicate but there are also software emulations that are 99% there and that IS like having the real thing because anyone that knows anything about analog gear knows that each piece can vary as much as the software does.

I wanted peoples opinion on the best way to mix in reason 4?? Post some templates that u all use!! Keep the techniques comin!!:)

mixing is an art and there are no templates for mixing...

if you do not go to school or have an individual personally teaching you the only thing left is trial-n-error and reading as much material on mixing until you get it.

in other words roll up your sleeves and get to work...

you need to learn and understand concepts (eq, compression, delay, etc) and learn to apply the concepts...

mix at a real low volume til the end an get the levels right til you start panning..

This is a SSL:

j9000_1.jpg

Back