Reason 4.0 Mixing/"Mastering"(Template)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted a few of these up in random threads, just took the time to fully tweak a template for really good industry standard mixes straight out of Reason.

The first thing I want you to know is each song is completely different and needs to be approached differently, this template will help people with problems achieving quality get a good start, I'm not promising miracles.

This kit is made to bring out the best overall sound to your mixes, it will not only make them "loud", but also make kicks hit harder, basslines smoother, highs more noticeable, and your stereo more widespread. It also includes aux ports for Reverb and Chorus so that you can add the effects to instruments by simply turning up Aux 1 & 2 on the mixer or ReDrum Drum Machine.

Because of the extreme threshold on the limiter setting, you'll have to turn instruments down rather than up to get optimal sound out of them. This is a good thing, that's actually more headroom you're adding. Turn instrument's volume down in the mixer until they don't sound oversaturated and they will sit good in your final mix.

You should very rarely(if ever)have to add further EQ or compression to instruments while using this template, trust me, it will sound professional without all the extra tweaks.

This will make good listenable tracks for displaying your beats on websites, beat CDs, personal use, ect., but if you are giving your beats to a professional, simply bypass the "Mastering Suite" and you should have an overall good to go mix.

Have fun, and you can always save the "Mastering Suite" Combinator patch(cmb)to slap onto already finished beats, just note that you'll probably end up turning stuff down and taking off EQ and compression.

Take care, have fun producing, peace!

Last edited:
damn will def. be checkin this out

i mite post up some before and afters, so people can hear the difference

Thanks man yeah props on this. Will hit this up when i get off work.

Are you using Reason 4.0?

If not, try loading the combinator patch into the "mastering suite" that appears in Reason's default rack when you first open it.

Last edited:
Im using 3.0. Its saying wrong format in that MS also. For some reason Only the Deranged MS will show up in my folder now, the MS song file wont even show up in reason no more.

gonna check this out

very impressive made Reason SOUND SO MUCH BETTER THNKX MAN I OWE U BIG

Last edited:
good looks. I'm going to try and A/B it to my newest Reason tracks to test my ears. Hopefully this will help me solve my biggest issue with Reason....

Ouch! Riding that Limiter real hard, aren't you? I'll play around with it... maybe make a beat from scratch with it on the master outs and see if I can use it effectively. I'm fairly new to Reason so perhaps I'm not using it correctly....

gsuclew said:
Ouch! Riding that Limiter real hard, aren't you? I'll play around with it... maybe make a beat from scratch with it on the master outs and see if I can use it effectively. I'm fairly new to Reason so perhaps I'm not using it correctly....
Yeah, if you add it to an old beat, turn down the master fader until it stops sounding distorted(it will leave alot of headroom, but sound good). Then adjust individual instruments. The limiter is pushed hard to give you the same "loudness" as current music. If you find it "too extreme" turn down the Output level(last knob on maximizer)a few db. "Some people may also want to turn the MClass Equaliser "lo shelf" freq to 79.9hz(doing so may also make you want to lower your compression ratio to compensate). I left the lo shelf lower to make drums really hit hard. I can post a cleaner lo end ver. .cmb patch. It won't hit as hard, but closer to professional "industry standard" than the earlier one(drums won't hit as hard but will sound cleaner).

dolla bill said:
will this work in 3.0 also
No, Can someone upload a pic of how it looks(or tell me how to take a pic of my comp screen?), it would be easier to just post a picture with all the settings than to type each one out.

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
No, Can someone upload a pic of how it looks(or tell me how to take a pic of my comp screen?), it would be easier to just post a picture with all the settings than to type each one out.

Press PrtScn or PrintScreen on your keyboard, most prob top right near the num pad. Open up paint (or any graphic program) then go edit and paste then save as a jpg.

Yeah, this sux. To 3.0 users, I suggest trying this. Load up the "MClass Mastering Suite"(it's at the top of your "empty rack default" automatically.

Assuming the same settings are in 3.0 as 4.0 try this.

MClass Equaliser :
Adjust the "Lo Shelf Freq" Knob between 40-80hz to your liking. 79.9hz will give you a cleaner kick for loud drums. The more you lower the frequency, the more "knock" you'll get and the more you'll have to compensate by turning down your kicks volume. Turn off(disable) "Param 2", Turn on(Enable) "Hi Shelf" Turn the Freq to 11-12hz.

MClass Stereo Imager:
Turn off "low Band" and set it to zero(0). X-over freq should be raised to about 2-3khz

MClass Compressor:
Don't have to adjust anything, but lower the ratio for more clarity and less of a "vintagy/warm" sound.

MClass MaximizerTurn on the "4ms look ahead" turn the "Output Gain" up all the way and turn up the "soft clip" for smoother roll off.

hope this covers everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back