ProTools 9 / What's the interface market gonna do? (experts only)

Morning_Star

ProTools + Reason user
Now that ProTools 9 will support other hardware audio interfaces what are going to be the hot new items on the market?

I have an old pci RME card but the driver acts funny in Windows Vista/7. I contacted RME about this problem and they told me that no such problem exist to their knowledge. They told me the XP driver should work perfectly. Well it doesn't.

Now I'm wishing I never sold my Apogee Ensemble. Damn, that was a bad decision. But I feel like strangling Apogee because of the lack of Windows drivers for their product. Maybe since ProTools is open to interfaces they will change this.

But now I'm having a hard time deciding what interface I'm gonna start using. I'm a huge fan of the Presonus Mobile Studio but I'm looking for a step up in converters. RME is way too pricey. TC electronics I've never had experience with really. I've heard of tons of problems with the MOTU stuff. And I already use a Digi 002R and M-Audio Audiophile 192. I also don't wanna spend the money on an Echo card. Nothing they have really suits me.

I just don't know. I might just buy some stand alone converters or continue with my plans to get my Digi rack modded by black lion. Still the cleanest converters I've ever heard.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable interface with great drivers, x64 support, easy control panel, affordable, and AES/EBU inputs?

Focusrite has some nice interfaces. Nice and flexible control panels. Their drivers for Win 7 are solid. I see a lot of interfaces going in their direction as for controlling independent headphone mixes and possible dsp effect integration.

Hopefully Apogee starts making Windows drivers even though they are expensive the Symphony system is worth it with VBus at least until PT is 64-bit and is capable of seeing more ram.

I see a lot of companies going this route and beefing up their control panel/mixers and having integration via rtas or some other method. There are is probably going to be a few pci-e based interfaces coming soon. I also think there will be an increase in DSP based effects like the Liquid Mix, UA cards, PowerCore etc... I think shits about to get interesting.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you don't just keep using your Digi Rack.

Being able to take advantage of 32 track input. This is a kickass feature for tracking. The 002 also won't be supported forever. I'm not sure but I think PT9 connects with Avid interfaces using DAE still instead of ASIO.

Will have a copy 2morro. Delay comp and free upgrade to the Complete Toolkit 2 if you already have it version 1. That made it worth it for me.

Being able to take advantage of 32 track input. This is a kickass feature for tracking. The 002 also won't be supported forever. I'm not sure but I think PT9 connects with Avid interfaces using DAE still instead of ASIO.

Will have a copy 2morro. Delay comp and free upgrade to the Complete Toolkit 2 if you already have it version 1. That made it worth it for me.
i dont see why not if they supposedly work with any interface. I also dont understand why they say that then say the original mbox doesnt work.

I don't know. The 002 will probably be fine. But they have posted that the original Mbox will not work with PT9. The original doesn't work in 8.0.3 or 8.0.4 either.

The reason I'm noting looking to keep the Digi 002 is because I'm looking for a step up in converters. Anything usb or firewire buss powered will not hang with something with a dedicated power supply as long as the circuit is designed properly.

I'm just wondering when RME is going to come out with a killer 4x4 interface or something. Or if Apogee is finally going to step up. I'm learning C++ programming soon so I might just have to code my own Apogee driver.

The focusrite interfaces are good for the money but don't give me the sound quality I'm looking for. I think I about to get a 888 24 IO to use in stand alone mode and just go optical into my digi rack. The only thing that sucks about that is the lack of high sample rates.

i dont see why not if they supposedly work with any interface. I also dont understand why they say that then say the original mbox doesnt work.

ProTools 9 requires Windows 7.
The original MBox isn't supported under Windows 7 with the standalone ASIO drivers.

Digi/Avid made sure you weren't using an original Mbox with PT9 in the same way they made sure you couldn't use a Digi001 with anything later than PT 6.4, or an AM3 card with anything later than PT 6.1.1.

Back