The Problem with Fruity Loops Sequencing For HipHop

GWIZ

I'm sending midi from my master keyboard controller into my computer so I can record sequences in fruity loops. So I get into pattern mode and click the record button - I then hear the metronome and I begin playing my midi sequence, and sure enough, I can see it working.......IT'S RECORDING!

HERE'S THE PROBLEM..............

As I'm finishing that same pattern, expecting it to loop so that I can add some more to it (LIKE ON ANY GOOD HARDWARE/SOFTWARE SEQUENCER ie MPC/Cubase) and the damn thing just STOPS at the end of the sequence instead of looping!

Now is it just me, or is fruity loops studio not capable of midi loop RECORDING - I'm not talking about playback fellas, because I'm quite aware that when the record button isn't pushed, patterns can be looped quite nicely. I'm talking about live midi LOOP RECORDING. I don't think that fruity loops is capable of this - I've even tried it in song mode - SAME THING - I've also tried bringing up the piano roll for my track and highlighting horizontal strip above the piano roll pink, and then pushing record, but the sequence still just STOPS! Please help me out with this. Thanks

Last edited:
Click in the pattern in Playlist as many times as you want it to repeat, then record in song mode.

And don't try to diss FL by saying "but this $1000 hardware sequencer can do this and FL can't! nya nya nya"

LOL

gotta second that opinion...alot of people underestimate what FL can do. Well, I know probably resolution wise HALion will kick the crap out of FL, but what I can see is FL not only easy and simple to use, it offers wicked features.

The morale of the story is...Try to learn how to do things in the first place before you say that it cant be done!

:monkey:

Like I said

I took Mr. Shizo's advice and clicked exactly how many times I wanted my pattern to repeat and I put it in song mode and guess what, Fruity loops CAN'T FREAKIN DO IT WITH OUT STOPPING ON ME BEFORE THE SPECIFIED NUMBER OF LOOPS. Furthermore, it doesn't even actually loop and playback what I've already recorded - as I'm recording. That's FL in a nutshell, great for those who like to clickedy clack with the mouse, But It can't handle on the fly live loop recording like a REAL HARDWARE DRUM MACHINE.

Oh man seriously.. you have to uninstall FL right away.
Get rid of that nasty program and get that MPC! Go Go Go!

If there Exist a person that cannot Figure out FL ( And this I sincerely doubt), Such a Person should re-evaluate his prospects for making it in the music industry.

Either Do What Shizo recommended or Stop using the "Free" Version. Go Buy it, so you can get support from the company.

You Remind me of those PC users in the MAC commercials on TV. I guess a 2 button mouse is kinda complicated to some people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Like I said

GWIZ said:
But It can't handle on the fly live loop recording like a REAL HARDWARE DRUM MACHINE.

maybe that's because fruity isn't a drum machine. just a thought...

Since I have long ago shelved my illusions about "making it in the music industry" (I think it was while I was file-clerking at MCA-Universal), I am not ashamed to say that after a year of messing around on Fruity, I am still learning the program. So go easy on GWIZ.

Just last night I learned how to use the "wrapper" to access my long-idle Pro-5 and FM7 plugins...

But anyway, back to the question. Not sure if its related to your problem, but sometimes my sequences get cut off during playback because the main sequencer hits the end of the automation track (9 or 10) and thinks the song is over. Try popping that ahead twenty bars or so and see if it allows you to keep going. As for loop recording, if you can't browbeat Fruity into doing it, try Abelton Live. Its got a sweet loop record feature.

Not surpriseing that you too are having FL sequencer probs

No one in here can help you with your woes my friend - Do what I did - Get an MPC 4000 and end all of your sampling /sequencing problems.

Its amazing what you find when you just read and try stuff on your own

Ok Kids, here is how its done.

In FLstudio 4.12, therse is an option called "Live Mode". It allows you to loop any pattern on the Playlist. This Way you can Create a 1 pattern Drum loop, lets say 2 bars long, and have it loop for as long as you have the play button Depressed.

1.So Place your Drums on Pattern 1

2. Open the Play List. Go to the Plalist Option menu and Choose "Live Mode"

3.The Play list now shows Loop Back Arrows.

4.Enable Looping On Pattern 1 and PAINT JUST ONE instance of Pattern 1 in the playlist

5.Select Song mode and Hit Record

Now Record your crap on one of the other Patterns as pattern one is looping.

Very Simple

or..........

OR you can do this all in 1 step by purchasing an mpc pressing record and PLAYING IN YOUR DRUMS - without any screwups such as timing and looping errors.

All in ONE step instead of the FIVE it takes with the mouse in FL where you have to CLICK IN your drums first and all that mess and blah blah blah. Probably doesn't even work.

I don't like clicking to make my music MISTA. I like to actually PLAY and record either midi or audio. FL can't handle this ON THE FRIGGIN FLY - WHICH IS THE BUG THAT INPIRATION OFTEN TRAVELS ON - Those who click and don't like to PLAY should re-evaluate their chances of making it in the music industry my friend - YOU REMIND ME OF ONE OF THESE PEOPLE MISTA.

Why Is It that the Old Vets Prefer the 2000/xl to Say perhaps the 3000 or 4000?

Because IMO, the earlier versions were very str8 Froward.
And Alot of the Features on the New MPC,dont Function as advertised.
Like the "Any File Feature" (Know What that is?)

You Started a Thread Comparing a $149 program to a World Famous $1000 + Hardware Sequencer. Get a Clue.

The "Fit" Feature in FL will loop any Sample Perfectly.
You Dont Even have to Spend time in a Wave editor trying to get crap to loop Right. Just Load the damn thing and set Fit Value to 32 if Your Pattern is 32 steps long or 16, if its 16 steps long.
It Even tells you what tempo to set the song to so that the sample and Drums are on Point.

And You Cant Figure that out?

Last edited by a moderator:
clicky clack clack? Some people that use FL Studio use a MIDI keyboard to lay down notes and melodies and then lay it out on the playlist.

I don't know what peoples always complainin that FL can't do this and can't do that! When in fact it's more capable than alot of Hardware out there and MPC is really a PC in a box, difference being the Pads. But i can do the same with my MIDI Keyboard.

If yall dont believe FL Studio isnt capable of making Quality Music. Check out my website: www.soundclick.com/bands/NOVU_music.htm - Me and my boy MIZPHIT use FL to sequence everything and Cool Edit Pro 2 for editting.

-RADA Tha RebeliouZ-

there should be a mode called overdub and a mode called loop on and off like my mpc. Check it, if its not there unistall it and buy a mpc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go to live mode, learn how to use your program, make 2 songs and call us in the morning..

seriously.. i havne't used fruit in about 5 months.. I just went and recording on the fly. go to live mode.. ti's there son.. and it's easy.

do you.

i dont even use live mode and i have no problem recording midi thru it with it looping, i can do 2 bar, 4 bar 8 bar and 16 bar loops without any hassle.

Are you usin ga midi controller or your lame ass keyboard?

Been using fruitys for 5 years, no complaints.

Back