Pro Tools... without Digi hardware!

C

Cruel Hoax

Yep, it's coming. Pro Tools MP, which works with M-Audio hardware.

I'm conflicted.

Digidesign is gonna need to differentiate this from Pro Tools LE (and thereby keep the "eliteness" of buying Digi hardware). Surely this will push Pro Tools LE in a positive direction (like having a decent track count) in order to compete with PT MP.

This will also quadruple the number of bedroom pa-doo-sas claiming that their coat closet -oops, I mean studio- offers Pro Tools. Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick, aren't there enough of these?

If they can make it work with a RAID setup, I just might move back to Pro Tools.

You heard it here first.

-Hoax

Well...not much to get hyped about unless you're an M audio hardware user.

I can't help but wonder if they will make the software available to other hardware if they get a lot of sales from this.

Yeah this means there's no need for an Mbox after all. Heard horror stories bout the latency on the mBox i have no latency on the 2496.

man i hav a 24/96 & an mbox! for me the mbox is way better- zero latency monitoring & better quality!

kingobeats said:
Yeah this means there's no need for an Mbox after all. Heard horror stories bout the latency on the mBox i have no latency on the 2496.

MBOX is outdated as hell. 24/48 recording is a joke these days. i think they're gonna just dump out the lower class systems and concentrate on real PT hardware. let M-audio worry about lower class systems.

i dont have a prob with mine. I have zero latency and i would rather have a pci card than a usb anyday. IMO I would consider usb though only if i were to have a laptop which i will be getting one day. As far as input and output 2496 is limited but i got a mixer and some other hardware so I'm good.

I could see Digidesign pushing Pro Tools LE 7 further than before - adding more features and possibly reducing limitations. Maybe giving 64 audio tracks rather than 32. The M-Powered version could then become the real cost-effective, budget sequencer in the line.

That way they can reach more people with the software, yet retain the elitism of the Digidesign hardware and software.

I don't know, though. I think version 7.0 will tell us.

Back