Preferred DAW for Hip hop production

IllVision

Hello Future producer nation. I am looking to get back into producing some hip hop tracks, primarily boom bap but not sure if I should get the new Reason 10 or Studio One 3. I have a long history of Reason going back to Reason 3 and absolutely love the software due to its high quality of sounds but back then it wasn’t considered a DAW. I tried out the new Studio One 3 DAW and I loved it but found that the Instruments included in it were lacking. I sequence my beats from my MPC 1000 into my DAW and touch up/add other elements in the software. My question is, is Reason 10 now considered a competent DAW or should I go with Studio one 3? Thanks

I personally have worked with FlStudio, Reason, Maschine and Pro-Tools.
A lot of the "High-level" producers seem to be using Pro-Tools, but I have always found FL to be my favorite.
It's just so user-friendly and capable. And as far as the sound libraries go, you'd have to invest in better plugins and such.

Just food for thought

If you have experience with reason, I think reason 10 would be a perfect fit for you. The sound quality is still there, plus it now has recording capability. Also with rewire you can use it with other programs, to get whatever, if anything you find lacking. Beyond that it is a matter of research, trials, demos and finding the best fit.

You also say you're an MPC user? Have you looked into MPC Software/Hardware pakages. MPC 2.0 software is a full featured DAW with VST support and can also be ran as a plug-in in other DAWs. It also has a sample library.

Also like Yandura said Plugins and sound libraries, Many great free and paid VST options.

Just my two cents,
Good Luck

Back