portable DAWs (that run from USB)

N

nattwalls

what are the best ones?

any freeware ones?

basically what im trying to do is run a vst only synth on a work computer so i can make presets at work?

any suggestions would be welcome

thanks

Reaper is small and cheap... install it on a flashdrive and you should be good...

thanks. ive seen people say that you dont have to register to use it. does that mean theyre using the program illegally? or is it just comerical licenses you have to pay for?

I'm not sure about the legalities but you can use it for as long as you like for free and its unprincipled. I assume they expect some people to use it and not pay for it.

No they don't. You still have to install the full software on the harddrive. The flash drive device is the sound card it runs off of. It's for loading sessions for editing and bounce down.

lol.
So it's a $100 dongle, or am I missing something?
I know it has a headphone port/volume dial.

Damn my bad.
I'm not trying to provide false information I was under the impression it was for Pro Tools on the go off a flash disk.

The product description is very misleading.
"The Mbox 2 Micro is portable Pro Tools power!"

I think the product description says pretty clearly what it is and doesn't hint at it actually being a flash drive. After all, it does what all the other Mboxes do - provides an interface to drive PTLE, even though this one doesn't have any inputs on it.

Energy XT. Its simple and to the point. It doesnt like my mackie that much tho. http://www.energy-xt.com/

Also if your into portable apps check mojopac. I was able to get Reaper, Sound forge, FL studio, Asio4all, and a few vsts mainly synths and effects installed nothing bulky. I had no registry issues and tested on a few pcs. I used a flash drive, instead of an external HD. Theres some expected lag of course, but its not terrible like I thought it would be. Theres a free version that they have for download, there's no show stoppers with it. http://www.mojopac.com/

Last edited:
yeah i ve just tried the computer music edition of energy xt 2.5 core on my work pc, but the machine is restricted from accepting data from unauthorised usb devices.

thanks for the input all the same, im still gonna keep energy xt on my usb and create presets where and when i can!

Back