Please help - cant adjust buffer size in Ableton using Scarlett 2i4

Tekhed66

Hi

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with an unexpected problem using a Scarlett 2i4 and Live 9.

I just bought a Scarlett 2i4 to replace my previous M-audio interface. The Scarlett drivers were installed from the Focusrite website and installation went without a hitch.

I went to the Live preferences to setup the new audio device and I've found that I can't adjust the buffer size... I also can't adjust the input latency and output latency. The Live preference menu doesn't give me a value box that I can edit and the buffer is set to 512 samples, the input latency is set to 24.2ms and the output latency set to 34.9ms. This gives me a whopping 59.1ms of overall latency!!! :cry:

The only variables that I can adjust are the in/out sample rate (Ive set it to 48,000) but this has no effect on the overall latency time.

I can adjust the driver Error Compensation and if I set it to -50.0ms, the overall latency drops to 9.08ms.

I've tried setting up the driver as per the ASIO Hardware Setup tutorial that comes with Live but the tutorial goes on about adjusting the Input/Output Latency and adjusting Buffer sizes while monitoring the test tone and I'm not presented with an option to adjust these values.

If I click on the hardware setup button, I get a bare-bones Focusrite menu that has a slider to adjust Buffer Length (from 0 to 10ms) and a drop down menu to adjust the sample rate. It also gives me a non-editable readout of the Live input and Output buffer size (which is 24.2ms and 34.9ms, respectively).

So - my question(s): does anyone else have this problem? Have you worked out how to fix it (reduce the buffer size) or at least reduce the huge latency? Is there another/better driver out there??

I'm using Live 9.2.3 (32bit), Win 7, Scarlett 2i4 (latest drivers from website).

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions.

I can't give you a definite answer, but some things that should get you on the right track...

* The latency values in Live are never directly editable - they're just calculated from the buffer size. The Error Compensation doesn't actually change the real value; you're meant to use that to offset the calculated latency by measuring it (as explained in one of the lessons).

* The buffer size seems to be non-editable even in Focusrite's own setup videos and it says on the Focusrite site that "On a PC system, the buffer size is set either in MixControl, or the Audio Control Panel." If you've seen tutorials/videos of the buffer size being edited from within Live, they're probably Mac-specific.

Not sure what the "bare-bones menu" is. MixControl sure ain't "barebones", but I'm not sure if it comes with the 2i4, as it seems a bit overkill for such a simple interface.

Hi Krushing

Many thanks for the info regarding Ableton. I still haven't found a solution and not sure if there is one ... you'd think two big companies such as Ableton and Focusrite could get gear that talk to each other a bit better.

The 2i4 doesn't come with mix control as it's a very basic unit... I also have a 6i6 that I use in my band and for live performance but it has been locked away in our rehearsal room so I'll swap the units over.... I'll take the 6i6 home with me and the band can use the 2i4. The 6i6 uses Mix Control and is much more flexible. I'm just a bit gobsmacked that such a popular DA interface can be so limited.

Anyway, I shall battle on...

Thanks again :-)
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess they've decided that in most cases you don't really need more control - but of course it's limiting when you'd need it. You might want to contact Focusrite's support to get some help in determining why your latency is so high.

Back