Midi instruments in ableton randomly changing pitch

QOTSA7777

I'm having an extremely peculiar problem in ableton live. At what seems to be completely random times, when I play back my song the midi instruments will be sounding at a different pitch. The note will be in the same place, but the sound playing is out of key. I've even had two identical midi clips play different notes. Any ideas?

Which instruments would these be? Provide a bit more detail on what you have there and it might be possible to figure it out...

I used to get this dilemma before. I think it's from the MIDI Keyboard. What I do is, I usually switch the keyboard to its right template preset settings for the DAW. I use M-Audio Oxygen 49 and I use preset 10. I don't know if that helps, but that fixed mine.

I'm using an "Analog" instrument in the "Lead" category. This is a problem that has occurred with several different instruments before though. And as for the midi keyboard, I have a yamaha MM6 that I don't really use for any purpose but tracking into ableton, so I never really change the presets or turn any knobs or anything.

I managed to fix the problem this time, but not very satisfyingly, perhaps if I explain my course of action it will bring some insight. I thought it might have something to do with accidentally changed instrument settings, so I copied the same instrument and effects from a different track (I had several of these identical instruments going at once). This worked, but somehow, not permanently, it randomly switched back to screwing up again. So I've been doing that every time it's happened. Now, however, it hasn't malfunctioned in a while. That make any sense to anyone?

Could you perhaps upload a session file with the malfunctioning instruments somewhere? I'd like to take a look at it, as it's pretty hard to troubleshoot w/o seeing what's going on.

I certainly will if it does it again. As of right now it seems to be behaving. It crops up randomly though so I will save a copy when it does.

I'd guess that for whatever reason, your keyboard is sending control changes from the wheels or otherwise. See if you can make ableton "filter" out these messages. In Cubase, you have to do it in the preferences, I think, and I have no idea about Ableton. You'll know you're at the right location if you see sysex, cc, aftertouch, note on, note off, sustain, and other names of midi messages. You want to disable the cc and sysex. For playings, the basic ones you need to keep are note on, note off, velocity, aftertouch, and I may be missing others but you just need to keep the messages that record the key press and release but not any control changes (cc).

Could you perhaps upload a session file with the malfunctioning instruments somewhere? I'd like to take a look at it, as it's pretty hard to troubleshoot w/o seeing what's going on.

This same exact problem is happening for me, my drum rack samples are randomly being pitch bent and its really frustrating, i have the ableton file if you need it

This happened to me in a song not too long ago. Turns out I had automated the pitch bend in the clip, and forgot to bring it back to 0 after the effect. Appearantly that means that it will be stuck on that value -.- Gave me a major headache, took like a full day to figure it out.

If it happens again find the parameters in the synth that could introduce the effect (oscillator pitch, transpose, stuff like that), and see if they're still at the correct values.

Back