Live 5 Panning Question

B

big timothy

With a lot of records, especially when they were just getting into Stereo, they'd pan a lot of stuff way off to the side. This makes it extremely easy to isolate and sample it.

My question is, is there any way I can move this audio around the stereo field? For example, if the sample is panned to the right, but I want it as the main loop right on top in the middle (so to speak), is there anyway I could do it?

Basically what I mean is, is it possible in Live 5 to move audio that's panned anywhere a little over or maybe all the way to the other side of the stereo field?

That's good to hear. Thanks for replying as well. I don't think I'm being lazy or anything because I've tried long and hard to do this or even at least learn about it with no luck. With that in mind, anybody think they could shed some light on how I would go about doing this?

I think you can do it. Just go to the channel that you are recording on in ableton, go to audio from (in the IO section), under that should say ext.in under that should be (1/2). set that to either just (1) or (2) depending on what is panned where in the stereo field and hit record. then you get a mono recording that will playback in the middle of the stereo field and can pan if needbe. hope that helps

Aahhhh thank you so much Guenon. It was just sitting there under my nose that whole time lol. And ENS I'll definitely try that next time I record something so I won't even need to fix it up afterwards. Thanks yall..

big timothy said:
Aahhhh thank you so much Guenon. It was just sitting there under my nose that whole time lol. And ENS I'll definitely try that next time I record something so I won't even need to fix it up afterwards. Thanks yall..

make sure to actualy load TWO instances into the channel.

you can then play with the phasing and panning and adjust it a little better. utility is cool for phase-reversing too. (you can create two audiotracks make the track the sample is on as their "in" monitoring tracks, then let just the right/left side of the signal pass, edit it with some effects, reverse the phase on one of the tracks and send their master audio to a third audio track.......have fun!)

JeanLukPigheart said:
make sure to actualy load TWO instances into the channel.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've had luck with just throwing a loop into an audio track in Session view, and putting the Utility effect onto that track. After fooling around with settings, I found that all I had to do was select R because the original audio would play panned to the right, and turn the dial to 200 percent. It took the sound playing from the right to the middle, and made it pannable to anywhere I wanted it. It's helping a lot too lol.

But care to explain what you mean ? That trick you talked about sounds cool, too. I'll try it soon.

Back