Live 5 is OUT

krushing

Old news?

Reading the Ableton forum it seems there's still some problems with it, so I'm gonna wait for a while before upgrading, though.

Yay!!

I was out of town and heard almost two days late that it was released.

A friend of mine had received his version 5 serial number as an e-mail, and after he told me the news I knew I had to have received a mail like that as well. At about 3am I got to the place where I was staying, found a telephone socket and dialed an ISP, checked my mail and immediately downloaded the upgrade from the Ableton site for almost three hours. I installed the package, activated it online on my laptop and then transferred an ongoing project done in version 4.1.4 into it to do a test mix. Went to sleep at about 7:30, got up at 11 :D

It works very well.

^^^ haha!! thats friggin awesome! god bless the technology!

it makes me weary though.... im still wrappin my head around v4......itll be a long time before i wanna pay for an upgrade..... or devote another percentage of my brain to the mountain that is live.....

im not really up on whats new though. is the new stuff as exciting as the old one was...?

peace.

highkoo said:
is the new stuff as exciting as the old one was...?

Pretty much. The new format for storing entire device chains along with note and control data (the Live Clip format) is quite huge alone. It means you can save a device chain for later use, or just actively browse into an older project (even from earlier program versions) and drag a channel complete with instrument and effect settings into your current project, just like that.

So if you have at some point crafted a specific sound for some project using an elaborate signal path and now want to use the same construct in your ongoing project, there's no need to recreate that from scratch or import it by some other tedious means -- just drag it in and you're done.

There's also proper user controllable latency compensation for every mixer channel, track freeze which keeps the non-linear session playback intact, a new high-end warp/timestretch mode and so on.

On the downside, many people have felt that the new play position management is now less intuitive. There's no more definite and absolute Start Marker, but a more dynamic way of setting play positions -- which seriously seems to need a while of getting used to after instinctively using the Start Marker system of v4.

Grab the demo and have a go at it.

education.gif

:D

Last edited:
holy crap man....

yea, thats some pretty nifty stuff they whipped up there....

taking whole chains from other tracks is a very... forward thinking kind of idea....

i also just read in one of your recent posts that it now loads flac files?

those guys are on top of sh1t....

well, now im just gonna HAVE to check it out.....

thanks for the info.

peace.

Back