Keyboard notes hurry when recording

caveat_empor

Hello! I got sort of strange problem.

I'm using Nuendo 3 and a E-mu Xboard 49 midi keyboard. When I tryin to record something from my keyboard the recorded notes layed iin the sequencer are shifted in time. Exactly they are moved "left", earlier in time than I play them.

I mean for instance if I play a note at beat 4, the note is recorded in sequencer somewhere between beats 1 and 2.

Although during recording the playing notes are monitored correctly. If I play a note at beat 4 it sounds exactly at the moment I play it (latency is very low, about 4 ms). But it is recorded not in proper place!

As I mentioned above, I use Nuendo 3, M-Audio Audiophilee 24/96 sound card. E-mu XBoard 49 connected to the comp through USB cable, not midi. Computer hardware is Pentium 4 >3GHz, 1Gb memory.

Can someone tell me what the hell is this and how to solve this problem?

Great thanx!

nah dat **** is blowin mines lol i dont even know wut to tell u on dat check ya settings in nuendo see if everything looks to be in order..like dont even know wut to tell u to check for tho...dat **** is crazy lol wait wut are using ur midi keyboard on? like wut vsti are u controlling?

GoodMoney said:
nah dat **** is blowin mines lol i dont even know wut to tell u on dat check ya settings in nuendo see if everything looks to be in order..like dont even know wut to tell u to check for tho...dat **** is crazy lol wait wut are using ur midi keyboard on? like wut vsti are u controlling?

What the **** are you talking about homie ???? hahaha.

Check if quantize is on. Other than that, check the settings in your Nuendo, sorry not too familiar with it.

that happened to me with FL Studio... you have to mess with your audio settings... in particular, your buffer settings

2 GoodMoney:
Yeah, it's really something crazy... Beyound any understanding -)) Regardin VSTi's - well I tried it with a lot of different VSTi's, e.g. Kontakt and many others, and there's the same s*** with any VSTi!

What do you mean what I am usin my keyboard on?

I don't know what preferences should I check. I checked how the inputs and outputs are configured and it looks like it's ok. Maybe there's something to do with MIDI synchronisation but I just have no idea how to deal with it...

2 DigitalTechnic: no I don't think it's a latency issue. I got very low latency (M-Audio Audiophille 24/96 rules!:), the notes I play are moniitored correctly, wtih no delay and besides they are recorded EARLIER than they're to be - not late!

2DeeLai: no it's aparently not quantize issue. What about Nuendo - it has just similar interface to Cubase, the differences are really minor! So if we say "this window - that check box" in Cubase, sure the same thing is in Nuendo.

2Sleepy: great thanx to u man it looks like they are discussing the same stuff out there! But I still couldn't find any particular solution of my problem, they just advice to google search how to fix 'emulated ports' issue. So if I find something on it I'll put it here!

2 pmbeatz: don't think so... audio buffers is latency issue, but it's nothing to do with latency here - notes sound CORRECTLY when I play'em, with no delay! It's just kinda bug of sequencer - it does that foolish shifting notes in time, moving them some half note earlier.

Last edited:
caveat_empor said:
2 DigitalTechnic: no I don't think it's a latency issue. I got very low latency (M-Audio Audiophille 24/96 rules!:), the notes I play are moniitored correctly, wtih no delay and besides they are recorded EARLIER than they're to be - not late!
How can they be recorded earlier when you stated that they get picked up in beat 1 and 2 after playing in beat 4.

You didn't say but I'd guess that you're using midi through USB. Is it 1.0 or 2.0? Computer usb? 1.0 is slow.
Record using a midi cable (Through a gameport adapter to the cpu) and see if the problem still exists. If that's not an option check you midi latency "compensation" settings for the rec program. If all else fails, group all recorded notes and move them by the amount of offset.(Many people use that solution.)

caveat_empor said:
... audio buffers is latency issue, but it's nothing to do with latency here - notes sound CORRECTLY when I play'em, with no delay!

Are you *sure* you're not experiencing latency, and subtly adjusting the way you hit the keys to compensate? I've fallen prey to that. I ended up with exactly what you describe, each note just slightly early.

I don't know, just thinking you could explore that possibility, just in case..

PG

2 DigitalTechnic:
Yes they are recorded in beat 1 or 2 BEFORE beat 4! I mean they sound correctly when I play during recording but sequencer pick the notes and automatically moves them "left", about a half note before it should be.

2 aeyst:
Yes, exactly, actually I mentioned in my first post that I got my keyboard connected by USB 2.0. I can buy a midi-cable but will it help? And using midi-cable is not comfortable to me because I'll have to use another socket for power (now power is through the same usb cable).
Preferences of latency compensation - ok, I'll check. Using offset - yes, it's a work-around, but it really annoying, and u know I wonder if I can I make it work the way it must work!

2 Project Girl:
Well maybe it's something about latency compensation, aeyst also said it. I'll check it - can't do it right now, gotta get home before -) Actually some time ago I had a pretty weak sound card with some latency and I did not reinstall Nuendo since that time. Maybe I set some preferences that time trying to fight against latency, and forgot about it :) Well it's gonna be funny if this is the problem! :)))

Last edited:
caveat_empor said:
2 Project Girl:
Well maybe it's something about latency compensation, aeyst also said it. I'll check it - can't do it right now, gotta get home before -) Actually some time ago I had a pretty weak sound card with some latency and I did not reinstall Nuendo since that time. Maybe I set some preferences that time trying to fight against latency, and forgot about it :) Well it's gonna be funny if this is the problem! :)))

I know that's one reason the notes would be recorded *early* - because latency makes you compensate by playing them early.

Let us know..

PG

Project Girl:
Oh u mean I hit them earlier? Sorry I just didn't understand u correctly -) No that's not the point because they're moved "left" about half note - that's 1 - 2 seconds at tempo around 70 - 100 bpm. It's too much - I can't hit them so much earlier! :)

And, besides, I just tried to check the following way. I opened the key editior and while playing keys I was watching the cursor sliding through the window. And I just saw with my eyes how notes picked at the place where cursor was jumped to the left.

I just think that there might be some kind of automatic latency compensation - when sequencer moves notes to the "left" automatically in order to compencate latency. I want to check if there's such option.

Last edited:
caveat_empor said:
Project Girl:
Oh u mean I hit them earlier? Sorry I just didn't understand u correctly -) No that's not the point because they're moved "left" about half note - that's 1 - 2 seconds at tempo around 70 - 100 bpm. It's too much - I can't hit them so much earlier! :)

And, besides, I just tried to check the following way. I opened the key editior and while playing keys I was watching the cursor sliding through the window. And I just saw with my eyes how notes picked at the place where cursor was jumped to the left.

I just think that there might be some kind of automatic latency compensation - when sequencer moves notes to the "left" automatically in order to compencate latency. I want to check if there's such option.

Ok, that's REALLY weird. That sounds like a software bug to me. I think my next move would be to uninstall and reinstall the software you're using.

PG

Hey, I had this problem in FL using asio4all. Im my case, it was the latency compensation setting that can be found in the asio4all control panel setting thing. Maybe there's a similar setting somewhere on your sound card's driver software control panel or something. Anyway, I just turned my compensation all the way down and now the notes show up pretty much where they should.

Yeah, I'm on a half way towards the victory!:) yesterday I messed with Nuendo preferences and found this stuff (Cubase has the same): Devices > Device Setup > VST Audioplay, here hit 'Expert' button and a window with some clue prefernces comes up. It has a 'Adjust for record latency' check box and this is what determines whether Nuendo automatically compensates latency during recording.

I set the check box off and came up with a surprising effect. The offset got smaller! I still have this offset, but now it is not about half note as it was before, but just something about an eighth note.

So it looks like the problem is really with the latency compensation. And probably Nuendo's compensation was only a part of it and there's another compensation somewhere else. I will also try to search for a thing like this in my sound card control panel.

Thanx aeyst, Project Girl, bruvaman and all, I highly appreciate your help!

Last edited:
found this in cubase dont noe if it'll work or not but try
Adjust for Record Latency and Record Placement Offset

You may experience that audio material you record end up in a displaced position, too early or too late. The reason for this happening is often one of the following:
SmallBullet.gif
Your audio hardware reports an incorrect Input latency value in its communication with Cubase SX/SL.
SmallBullet.gif
Your system has a high Output latency and you're recording with input monitoring through an effect plug-in, which in itself has an inherent latency.
This means there will be a delay between when you play something and when you actually hear it. In such a situation, you may often instinctively play "ahead of time", in an attempt to compensate for the perceived delay. However, since Cubase SX/SL features automatic plug-in compensation, meaning that plug-in delays are compensated for to maintain sync and timing, the audio you record will end up in the wrong position (too early).
You can compensate for the above by adjusting these two parameters.
SmallBullet.gif
By deactivating Record Latency (removing the check mark), you instruct Cubase SX/SL not to use its plug-in delay compensation feature.
SmallBullet.gif
If you change the Record Placement Offset value, the position of recorded audio will automatically be shifted by the corresponding number of samples (up to 100000).
Positive values shift the position forward, and negative values shift the position backward.

p.s. i have the same problem only it records then shifts to the right.. pisses me off

i know what you're going through man. it's a pain in the ass. i have Cubase and have had the same problem twice. I fixed it last time by reading all the threads about the emulated ports. This time I'm not even showing emulated ports.

When I try to play I'll start on beat 1 of measure 2 and everything is set back like 2 notes. It's all in time just like I played it, just, shifted left 2 notes. It's a pain in the ass too. I've yet to find away to combat it this time. I've gone to just recording it all in my MO6 and then just recording the audio because I'm too pissed off. Good luck figuring it out.

Back