Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install Paax VST Sampler?

Thanks

How to install Paax VST Sampler?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello people,

I'm trying to install Paax (http://www.kotkasuniverse.com/paax_index.htm)
    and I'm an ignorant beginner, and don't know what to do with the "paax2.dll" file. It's not in the manual, and a search of their forums turned up nothing. I guess everybody knows this except for me!!

Here's what I'm using so far:

Cubase LE. Lexicon
    Lambda audio interface
    Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop
    Windows XP SP2
    2.1 Gb Intel Pentium processor
    1024 Mg RAM
    BOSS DR-880 drum machine
    Yamaha P-60 piano
    Yamaha DGX-202 keyboard

Appreciate any help a whole lot.

Project Girl

Thanks
    I'm not sure how Cubase handles plugins, but I'm pretty sure it's explained in the (Cubase) manual...

You only need to put the .dll file into your plugin folder (which is probably selected from within Cubase). The default one is usually something like C:/Steinberg/VSTPlugins. Then do whatever Cubase's manual tells you to do in order to scan/activate VSTs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing
    I'm not sure how Cubase handles plugins, but I'm pretty sure it's explained in the (Cubase) manual...
    I took a pretty good look and did several searches, but didn't find anything directly about installing VST samplers. It may be in there, but I can't find it.

You only need to put the .dll file into your plugin folder (which is probably selected from within Cubase). The default one is usually something like C:/Steinberg/VSTPlugins. Then do whatever Cubase's manual tells you to do in order to scan/activate VSTs.
    There are two VSTplugins folders, one directly within the Steinberg folder, and one within the Cubase folder. I tried each of them (separately), copying the .dll file into them, then re-starting the program. "Paax3" appears under "VST Instruments", but no instruments are listed.

Also, I thought "VST Samplers" were programs which allowed you to organize and manipulate samples. Is that what Paax is? Or just a collection of samples?

Any further clue or tiny ray of enlightenment would be most welcome!! :-)

Project Girl

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Girl
    I took a pretty good look and did several searches, but didn't find anything directly about installing VST samplers. It may be in there, but I can't find it.
    I'm pretty sure there must be *something* about using VSTs in general. They all work basically the same.

There are two VSTplugins folders, one directly within the Steinberg folder, and one within the Cubase folder. I tried each of them (separately), copying the .dll file into them, then re-starting the program. "Paax3" appears under "VST Instruments", but no instruments are listed.
    Again, dunno how Cubase works in this regard specifically, but I'm pretty sure you can either select your VST folder from the Cubase preferences or it's mentioned somewhere in the manual if it's a fixed location.

Also, I thought "VST Samplers" were programs which allowed you to organize and manipulate samples. Is that what Paax is? Or just a collection of samples?
    Well, yes, that's what samplers do. You might think of the as instruments that use samples as their rawest ingredient, like synths use/generate waveforms. I don't think PaaX comes with any samples of it's own, though most commercial samplers do boast huge libraries these days...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing
    I'm pretty sure there must be *something* about using VSTs in general. They all work basically the same.

Again, dunno how Cubase works in this regard specifically, but I'm pretty sure you can either select your VST folder from the Cubase preferences or it's mentioned somewhere in the manual if it's a fixed location.
    Ok, will try again. The manual talks about "installing VST effects", and that seems like something different than "installing a VST sampler plug-in" - but maybe they work the same.

Well, yes, that's what samplers do. You might think of the as instruments that use samples as their rawest ingredient, like synths use/generate waveforms. I don't think PaaX comes with any samples of it's own, though most commercial samplers do boast huge libraries these days...
    That helps a lot - much appreciated.

Project Girl

Thanks
    You got it working already. The "paax3" (2 or 3?) listed in the VST instruments section is the VSTi.

All you need to do now is to load the vsti in the vst instruments section, add a midi track, set the sample as the output in the midi track and that's all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy
    You got it working already. The "paax3" (2 or 3?) listed in the VST instruments section is the VSTi.

All you need to do now is to load the vsti in the vst instruments section, add a midi track, set the sample as the output in the midi track and that's all.
    Sorry, but I don't understand; I don't see any instruments to load. When I loaded instruments in that panel before from the Univ. Sound Module, there was a drop-down list of instruments. Under "paax" in that drop-down list is just one question mark.

??

Project Girl

Thanks
    You need to go back and find out what instrument format this sampler uses, get some of those instruments downloaded, purchased, or whatever, then browse from the Paax3's interface, locate an instrument and load it into the sampler that way. You're looking at a VST preset system which doesn't necessarily have any presets for every instrument. Right now Paax3 is like a blank palette and you must load samples or instruments into it.

At a glance, it looks like Paax3 can play both Kurzweil and soundfont formats. That's good because there's about 40 million freely downloadable soundfonts on the net. Happy downloading.
    Last edited by L. A. Stone; 03-13-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by L. A. Stone
    Project Girl, Sleepy is right. The Paax3 IS
    Um - what? Did you see my post in reply to his?

Project Girl
    Last edited by Project Girl; 03-13-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Girl
    Sorry, but I don't understand; I don't see any instruments to load. When I loaded instruments in that panel before from the Univ. Sound Module, there was a drop-down list of instruments. Under "paax" in that drop-down list is just one question mark.

??

Project Girl
    It's because it's a sampler and you're supposed to load up your own sounds in there.

Thread Information