Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to install Paax VST Sampler?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy
    It's because it's a sampler and you're supposed to load up your own sounds in there.
    Really? Who knew. :-) Since almost every other "sampler" I looked at consisted mostly of a collection of sounds, I assumed that they all included sounds..

Load up my own sounds. Ok, next mission (will probably take 3 manuals, 2 books and 4 forum posts) is to find out how to do that. :-)

Thanks very much for your help.

Project Girl

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Project Girl
    There are two VSTplugins folders, one directly within the Steinberg folder, and one within the Cubase folder. I tried each of them (separately), copying the .dll file into them, then re-starting the program. "Paax3" appears under "VST Instruments", but no instruments are listed.
    That means that you installed Paax. Now you have to follow the instructions in the Paax manual on how to load up samples (.WAV files). After that you can send MIDI notes to Paax and it will play the samples.

Also, I thought "VST Samplers" were programs which allowed you to organize and manipulate samples. Is that what Paax is? Or just a collection of samples?
    Project Girl
    Paax is a software sampler. It's a VST instrument. It allows you to load up .WAV files, assign them to zones of keys, and then play them like a piano using incoming MIDI note data. Paax doesn't come with any preset sounds. You have to get your own .WAV files and load them up and create instrument patches.
    Hear my music @ [url]http://SoundClick.com/DeathlessDodecagon[/url]
    All songs are FREE MP3 downloads
    :hello:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHope
    That means that you installed Paax. Now you have to follow the instructions in the Paax manual on how to load up samples (.WAV files). After that you can send MIDI notes to Paax and it will play the samples.
    Ok. I'm a voracious reader of manuals, but the instruction manual for Paax is pretty much unreadable to me, in the sense that there's not a single sentence which isn't full of terminology that I don't understand. I've been over it several times and I don't see anything that basic - nothing referring to loading samples at all. What can I say - I've written books on computer programming, so I'm not really a dumbass, but I simply just don't know how to do this.

I've posted on their forum, but got no replies.

I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford software with some support - this seems to be way over my head.

Thanks very much for the help anyway.

Patty

Thanks
    Maybe try another one?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1203.html

That one is a rip-off, somewhat, of the Reason sampler. Looks simple enough to get you started. Load the sample, tweak away.

Here's more:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode...&sort=1&rpp=45

Most don't look so great really.

Thanks
    Ok. I'm a voracious reader of manuals, but the instruction manual for Paax is pretty much unreadable to me, in the sense that there's not a single sentence which isn't full of terminology that I don't understand. I've been over it several times and I don't see anything that basic - nothing referring to loading samples at all. What can I say
    Actually, the "Creating a Preset" part mentions how to load samples - but I do agree, the manual's written for people who already know how samplers generally work and what they're capable of. Not to mention it's pretty messy.

I'd take a look at ShortCircuit as well - it's definitely my favourite softsampler. The interface (while it might be a bit intimidating to look at first) is very clean and to the point, and the full (commercial) version isn't very expensive (because you're not paying for a huge library of sounds). The free version is completely the same as the full one, except that it limits polyphony (=how many notes you can play at the same time) to two, as well as the number of plugin instances.

Thanks
    Maybe try another one?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1203.html

That one is a rip-off, somewhat, of the Reason sampler. Looks simple enough to get you started. Load the sample, tweak away.

Here's more:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode...&sort=1&rpp=45

Most don't look so great really.
    Thanks a lot, "Sleepy". I will def. check them out.

Project Girl

Quote Originally Posted by krushing
    Actually, the "Creating a Preset" part mentions how to load samples - but I do agree, the manual's written for people who already know how samplers generally work and what they're capable of...
    Yeah, I believe that's the case. It's understandable, for the price, but it isn't for beginners.

I'd take a look at ShortCircuit as well - it's definitely my favourite softsampler. The interface (while it might be a bit intimidating to look at first) is very clean and to the point, and the full (commercial) version isn't very expensive (because you're not paying for a huge library of sounds). The free version is completely the same as the full one, except that it limits polyphony (=how many notes you can play at the same time) to two, as well as the number of plugin instances.
    I will most definitely check that one out. I can spend some money, but it's confusing when there appear to be a thousand of these, ranging from free to about $500, and when it's hard to distinguish between what is primarily a collection of sounds (a "sampler") and what is a program designed to manipulate sounds (a "sampler"), and what is both (a "sampler")!!!

Off to look at Short Circuit. Thanks very much for your time, "Krushing".

Project Girl
    Last edited by Project Girl; 03-15-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    The vsti's that have a collection of sounds are virtual sound modules. They're really samplers with samples already set up and layered to make a patch. They're not called virtual sound modules by the makers of the vsti's but that's what they are. Most do not allow you to load your own sounds but they allow you to do some basic tweaking of existing patches.

Some samplers come with a collection of sounds but generally you want to load your own or make your own if you're going for a sampler.

Thanks
    The vsti's that have a collection of sounds are virtual sound modules. They're really samplers with samples already set up and layered to make a patch. They're not called virtual sound modules by the makers of the vsti's but that's what they are. Most do not allow you to load your own sounds but they allow you to do some basic tweaking of existing patches.

Some samplers come with a collection of sounds but generally you want to load your own or make your own if you're going for a sampler.
    Thanks for the clarification, "Sleepy". This is gradually starting to make sense to me! :-)

Project Girl

Thanks
    No problem.

Thanks
    Hello everyone!
    Sorry if I insert myself in this old thread, but I'm trying to find paax3.
    This VST had become free, but the kotkasuniverse.com site, from which it was possible to download it, is no longer active.
    Can anyone tell me if there are still some links where this VST can be found?
    Thank you

Thread Information