How the hell do you sample with Digital Performer?

Calico_NC

I've been using DP for about a year or so at my University, but it has only been for MIDI. Now the next step is the implement audio into our projects. I know how to import sounds and load them into their appropriate tracks, but i was trying to figure out how to map the sample across the keyboard (controller). When i use FL, i can load in a sample and it automatically maps itself across the keyboard. Im trying to accomplish this in DP(if possible). Also how do you trigger audio files. for example, i loaded a Kick Drum sample in, but i cant trigger it with the Keyboard, i have to try to align them manually, which is a pain in the ass. Does anyone know how to do these two things?

THanks

which version do you have?

the newest has a sampler plugin (fairly nice, really stripped down and all you need type thing).

previous versions have no bundled soft synths or samplers.

keep in mind DP is completely different from FL - it's an actual DAW, whereas FL is some kind of 'production environment' or something. Like most DAWs, DP just gives you the basic functions you need to record, mix n edit midi and audio. and therein lies its strength - simplicity and an EXTREMELY advanced feature set for electronic musicians.

that's why i use it - i don't need extra ****, i just need wonderful audio n midi (less now though) editing.

you may consider either a. upgrading to at least 5.1 (5.0 doesnt work very well, the 'auto delay compensation' consistently will make your computer crash, go motu) or b. purchasing a soft sampler in AU format.

plenty of them out there! i used ExSIX's fade looper for loop-based sampling for a while before i got Metasynth (which pwns, totally worth what i spent on it) and it's fairly inexpensive. Only suitable for loops though, not for one shots.

one shots (i.e. drum sampling) there's plenty out there to choose from, just go to KVR and search through the AU compatible samplers (no freeware ones, though).

I think the University has DP 4.5 or 4.6. So the only way to really sample in DP is to purchase a separate sampler software? If so,i guess i'm outta luck b/c i'm using the University's G5, and i know i cant install programs on it. So there is no way to actually trigger audio with a controller in DP 4? If not that kinda sucks:cry:

Last edited:
Calico_NC said:
I think the University has DP 4.5 or 4.6. So the only way to really sample in DP is to purchase a separate sampler software? If so,i guess i'm outta luck b/c i'm using the University's G5, and i know i cant install programs on it. So there is no way to actually trigger audio with a controller in DP 4? If not that kinda sucks:cry:

nope. none. sorry. not really what it's made for!

there are really only 3 worthwhile DAWs to me - PoToes, DP, and nuendo.

nuendo is great for surround mixing. i'd never cut an album on it.

PoToes is great for a lot - it's oriented towards studios that have a lot of clientelle that need the security of a SUPER stable system and good basic audio editing.

DP is good for me, because it combines audio and midi in one glorious mess. it was one of the earliest MIDI sequencers, and outboard sound generation equipment with it is just a breeze. if you get a mac in the future, i recommend it!

Back