how essential is a MIDI controller for reason?

ill xxx

the reason that i am asking is that i am thinking of purchasing Reason and an Echo Indigo I/O soundcard (i have a laptop)

now from reading various bits of info on the internet i have heard that a MIDI controller is almost essential for reason.

how badly do i need one?

is it worth buying the software+soundcard now and buying a keyboard about 6 months down the line or would i be better just to wait?

if it helps i would be attempting to produce mostly sample based (almost 100%) hip hop.

Depends a lot on your producing style. I managed to go with Reason about 1½ years without a controller...but it certainly helps a lot. Not necessarily life-or-death essential, but a really good addition if finances permit.

It's not manditory, but it could help a lot, and it's funner! I love programming those synths with my keyboard! Whoo! Woohooo! Anyways, if you do get one, you won't be regreting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ill xxx said:
the reason that i am asking is that i am thinking of purchasing Reason and an Echo Indigo I/O soundcard (i have a laptop)

now from reading various bits of info on the internet i have heard that a MIDI controller is almost essential for reason.

how badly do i need one?

is it worth buying the software+soundcard now and buying a keyboard about 6 months down the line or would i be better just to wait?

if it helps i would be attempting to produce mostly sample based (almost 100%) hip hop.

Reason is the only software that lists a midi keyboard as a "system requirement" right on the box. And Reason's piano roll isn't the best in the world so I think I'd have to agree that a midi keyboard is just about mandatory specifically for Reason. The fact that you're producing hip hop doesn't lessen the need for a midi keyboard controller.

what about people who can't read music?

how do they get on with a keyboard and how does it influence them at all?

if you can't read music then you won't be producing very complex pieces.

as i said, i would be producing mostly sample based hip-hop and i can't see how i would essentially need a keyboard.

and one of the reasons that i asked this question is because on the propellerheads site it says that a midi controller is a requirment.

ill xxx said:

as i said, i would be producing mostly sample based hip-hop and i can't see how i would essentially need a keyboard.

and one of the reasons that i asked this question is because on the propellerheads site it says that a midi controller is a requirment.

The keyboard is not just for playing melodies, it's also used for triggering samples. You will either "mouse" in each and every single note, or use a controller to play some of them then edit or fine tune those in the piano roll later with a mouse. The way you make music with be "different" with the two approaches. There are things I wouldn't ever be able to do just by mousing in each and every single note. Not even in well thought out piano rolls. Make music without a keyboard for awhile, then when you get the keyboard, you will see what a difference it makes.

ill xxx said:

People who cant read music can also make as complex music as the people who can read music and possibly exceed them. It all comes down to skill.
Above all... a controller is not needed, unless the user plans to record playback via midi and tweak many sound parameters all once wit more precise and accurate timing... and such.

IMO, using a MIDI controller will also considerably reduce the amount of time you spend composing your track... I'm currently mousing all of my melodies and will keep on doing so until I get a new laptop.....

I wouldnt Use reason for completely sample based hip hop....

don't stress too much about not having a controller at the start. The up side is you'll learn how to use reason the hard way, how the piano roll works, drawing in automation (or using the mouse) etc.

Then when you can afford a controller, you'll be styling :)

Get an oxygen 8! They are so cheap, and built good. I pretty much just use reason, and the controller was so easy to setup.

By the way, I can't read music either, and that hasn't stopped me from doing the 2 finger melody on the keys.

I also find it alot quicker to find the key of your track with the keyboard lay out in front of you. (instead of the matrix)Which makes it alot easier to start layering your sounds.

Back