How do I Record MIDI input in Reason?

Steamboat Rock

I got Reason to work with my MIDI controller - I play my external keyboard and the sound comes out of Reason's NN-XT or whatever, but I can't get it to record that input and have it play back to me. Any suggestions?

are you pressing the red record button at the bottom of the screen when u do this?

Steamboat Rock, please ignore Delphine. You'd like to think that people wouldn't comment on things they know nothing about but generally, that seems to be what they most want to talk about.

You can record MIDI in Reason, I do it all the time. If you're hearing the NNXT play while recording, then it should be recording the MIDI to that track.

What are you using as your MIDI interface? What's your controller?

alex23 said:
Steamboat Rock, please ignore Delphine. You'd like to think that people wouldn't comment on things they know nothing about but generally, that seems to be what they most want to talk about.

You can record MIDI in Reason, I do it all the time. If you're hearing the NNXT play while recording, then it should be recording the MIDI to that track.

What are you using as your MIDI interface? What's your controller?

Sorry, I misread the post!

I took it as though, he was trying to sequence external hardware via Reason.

I do know Reason, in depth, I use it.

To answer the original question:
Just make sure the MIDI data symbol is apparent in the sequencer track and press the record button on the transport panel.

My apologies as well, Delphine. I've just seen a lot of new arrivals posting about Reason's reliance on midi controllers lately and lumped you in with them. Sorry for making a blanket statement on your knowledge :)

I am having the same problem using a Korg Electribe MX. I can assign all 5 of the synth parts to MIDI channels, have them play through Thor or Malstrom or whatever, and assign the drum parts to the Dr. Octo and all play fine. But recording...not so much. A new note clip is created as I start recording, no notes are made, and then it disappears after hitting Stop on the transport panel. I can record on those same instruments' sequencer tracks with the on-screen piano just fine, but can't get the same to work on the Korg. Is there something I'm forgetting to do? Thanks very much.

check your MIDI input settings inside of reason - which version of Reason are you using? 4? 5? 6? 7?

I'm using Reason 5, but it just so happens that I figured it out randomly. I had set up my Electribe as a "MIDI Control Surface" in the Keyboards and Control Surfaces settings. I deleted that one, and set it up again as "MIDI Control Keyboard" and suddenly it worked. Thanks anyways though!

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to transfer audio to Reason straight from the Electribe as well? I thought it might be cool to also be able to use the sounds and knob turn motion sequences on the Electribe with Reason. I can't conceive of how that might be done though...a separate track for all the audio from the Electribe all at once? Not sure if it's even possible...

In 5 no, you would need to record some other program, say audacity, and then load the file in via one of the samplers

get 6 (actually 7 now) and it is a whole different story

- - - Updated - - -

In 5 no, you would need to record some other program, say audacity, and then load the file in via one of the samplers

get 6 (actually 7 now) and it is a whole different story

Back