how do i allocate more memory for fl studio??

seahorse

right now, i have 3gb ram installed, but according to fl studio's ram usage meter, i'm only using 2gb. that extra gb would help out a lot, as i'm experiencing a crash every time i open this particular project. :banghead::banghead: can anyone help???

right now, i have 3gb ram installed, but according to fl studio's ram usage meter, i'm only using 2gb. that extra gb would help out a lot, as i'm experiencing a crash every time i open this particular project. :banghead::banghead: can anyone help???

you don't need to, it uses what it needs. If you want, try using the /3GB switch in your Boot.ini file to see if the FL process will utilize more than 2GB under a 32bit OS:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/pae/paemem.mspx

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. The following example shows how to add the /3GB parameter in the Boot.ini file to enable application memory tuning:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB

Last edited:
thanks for the link violent!

logic, how do i make the changes to the boot.ini file? where is it?? i am 95% sure this is the problem. i really appreciate it...

Start>
Run>type "msconfig" (without quotes)>
Select the Boot tab>
Select the Advance button>
Check both CPU Processors if you have Dual and max out your RAM so that next time you boot up you will be using your CPU and RAM full capabilities

Start>
Run>type "msconfig" (without quotes)>
Select the Boot tab>
Select the Advance button>
Check both CPU Processors if you have Dual and max out your RAM so that next time you boot up you will be using your CPU and RAM full capabilities

Aright cool, thanks for the tip. The only thing is I'm pretty sure it's something to do with fl studio. My friend told my processor can only handle 4gb of ram, but since I got windows 7 32 bit and not 64 bit, I can only go up to 3.24 gb of ram. I feel like even if I let the computer use all of its ram power, it doesn't matter that much since 2 gb is still being allocated to fl. Even if I literally close everything (explorer.exe, windows desktop mgr, EVERYTHING), it still crashes since my vsts use more than 2gb of ram. And I've heard win 7 only allocates 2gb of ram to the applications by default and I see that with the usage monitor in fl... so I need to change that. Does that make sense?

Aright cool, thanks for the tip. The only thing is I'm pretty sure it's something to do with fl studio. My friend told my processor can only handle 4gb of ram

Incorrect.

Intel processors since the Pentium Pro can address up to 64GB of RAM through PAE when running a 32bit OS. The feature has to be supported in the OS in order for you to do it. Microsoft purposely crippled their 32bit desktop OS, artificially limiting them to 4GB no matter what you do while their server OS'es can address up to 64GB (more in some cases).

but since I got windows 7 32 bit and not 64 bit, I can only go up to 3.24 gb of ram. I feel like even if I let the computer use all of its ram power, it doesn't matter that much since 2 gb is still being allocated to fl. Even if I literally close everything (explorer.exe, windows desktop mgr, EVERYTHING), it still crashes since my vsts use more than 2gb of ram. And I've heard win 7 only allocates 2gb of ram to the applications by default and I see that with the usage monitor in fl... so I need to change that. Does that make sense?

The question now becomes: What plugins are you using that require so much RAM? Are they legit?

Just a word of advice Seahorse next try to be more specific when asking technical questions so that we can better assist you in helping you with this problem.
BTW, is this a Desktop or Laptop we are talking about cause it is a completely different animal between the two.

If you like I can further assist you remotely just let me know if you need it I'll fill you in on what you need to do.

Last edited:
Just a word of advice Seahorse next try to be more specific when asking technical questions so that we can better assist you in helping you with this problem.
BTW, is this a Desktop or Laptop we are talking about cause it is a completely different animal between the two.

If you like I can further assist you remotely just let me know if you need it I'll fill you in on what you need to do.

Incorrect.

Functionally, there's no difference between the two. The same architectural limitations apply to desktop and laptop machines. RAM issues are the same across the board.

The question now becomes: What plugins are you using that require so much RAM? Are they legit?

i think so! i'm using spectrasonics omnisphere, addictive drums, and hypersonic. omni uses the most ram by far though. opening up 2 instances with some vocals KILLS my computer.

okay sorry, let me try a more thorough explanation...

i'm on a desktop pc with a 2.3 ghz processor, 4gb of ram (3.24 usable), and 54.9 gb of free space. when i open a project with fl studio 9.0, it constantly gives me the error message "out of memory". when i check the memory usage on the top of the screen, it shows a number in the 1900s, which means for some reason or another fl studio is only using 2,000 kb of ram and not 3.24! i could do so much more with that extra gb of ram, but my OS or whatever it is seems to be limiting applications to 2gb of ram.

Last edited:
Okay I can help but in order for me to do so I need to connect to your computer remotely if you like because typing out all that info it's a bit much so when you have free time I might be able to free up that extra RAM along with some other tweeks to help you with your problem I assure it's completely safe think of it as your personal Tech support.

Send me a PM and I'll fill you in on what you need to do

i think so! i'm using spectrasonics omnisphere, addictive drums, and hypersonic. omni uses the most ram by far though. opening up 2 instances with some vocals KILLS my computer.

okay sorry, let me try a more thorough explanation...

i'm on a desktop pc with a 2.3 ghz processor, 4gb of ram (3.24 usable), and 54.9 gb of free space. when i open a project with fl studio 9.0, it constantly gives me the error message "out of memory". when i check the memory usage on the top of the screen, it shows a number in the 1900s, which means for some reason or another fl studio is only using 2,000 kb of ram and not 3.24! i could do so much more with that extra gb of ram, but my OS or whatever it is seems to be limiting applications to 2gb of ram.

Try the /3GB setting I posted earlier. It may help.

Try the /3GB setting I posted earlier. It may help.

i'm pretty sure that will fix the problem. the only issue is i don't know how to access that boot.ini file... do you think you could possibly post a quick explanation on how to edit it? i would really appreciate it.

A solution for you

Hey guys,

If you not sorted it out already then you will be pleased to know.. if you look in the FL installation directory there is an FL(Extended memory) executable which will let ya use more of ya RAM for a project. - Which I just found out, Much to my reliefe!

Hope this solves ya prob :)

Yeah I was going to suggest the extended memory FL Studio. The original runs in about 30 seconds. The extended memory version opens up in under a second for me. It must use all 8gb of ram. This is the reason why I have been pushing FL Studio lately. Just runs amazing!

On Win7 64bit, when using the 'extended memory' version of FL you have full 4 GB adressable by FL only without needing to edit boot.ini.

A later version of FL (FL9.5 beta to be precise [soon]) will have a buildt in plugin bridge which will allow each process (each plugin) to adress memory beyound the memory already allocated by FL for itself.

Last edited:
Back