How to disable Logic X's auto send busses

Vuijkie

I just recently upgraded from Logic 9 to Logic X. I love it so far however there is one thing that I hate which is that any time you add a new track, it is automatically equiped with 2 send busses which are reverb's that I never use. Is there a way to prevent Logic from equiping those send's on every new channel?

You already received the answer that you can make new tracks load with no default patch, which adds FX returns. But here's a

Here's a bit of background that I hope will help you understand a bit better what is going on in Logic Pro X.

Patches
Logic Pro X introduced a new type of sound library preset called a Patch. This is different than what was provided before in Logic be cause a patch stores and recalls a lot more useful information. Along with Patches, there are a few changes to the way the mixer works designed to help limit the build up of reverbs that used to be a part of a large percentage of the sound library settings.

Patches can load up more than one channel strip. For instrument patches, this means layered instruments like piano/strings is possible. Patches also include support for Smart Controls. These are macro controls that can map across all plug-in parameters on all channel strips used by the patch. This means, for example, one knob can map to the filter cutoff on 3 different instrument plug-ins on 3 different channels in a layered instrument. The concept of Smart Controls is to bring the most used parameters, or the most interesting parameters up in a simple, easy to manage set of controls. While its not for everyone, it is a terrific first place to go to for simple tweaking of a patch. Some patches features some very creative smart controls that do things which would be very difficult to do by directly editing plug-ins. For example, you can map a single smart control to multiple plug-in parameters, with each destination having a different min/max value. This means one knob can turn several other knobs across multiple plug-ins. Very sophisticated sound design performances are possible via Smart Controls. Also, they are completely editable, so you can remap them anyway you like and save your own patches complete with your own favorite smart controls.

Logic Pro X also introduced MIDI plug-ins like an advanced arpeggiator. This means that multiple layers of arpeggiated parts can be mixed together to deliver amazing new sounds.

Finally, multi-channel instruments are track stacks which means they load up looking like single tracks, but you can crack them open and see all of the channels within.

Share reverbs
One of the great challenges is how do you provide reverb to sounds as you load them without ending up with a hundred tracks each with their own reverbs. Logic Pro X now has a system called shared reverbs which automatically remaps reverbs used in the factory patch library so that they use as few unique reverbs as possible. For example, if you load up a patch that adds 2 reverb aux returns, a large hall and a small room/ambience. Then you load up a second patch, if that patch needs a large hall and small room, it will automatically remap the sends for the patch to use the reverbs that already exist. If the reverb is not available, a new one is added. The end result is that you will have the smaller number of aux-reverbs used to support the sounds you've loaded. This makes it much easier to edit the reverb used in your song since there are likely to be a few used by many tracks.

I hope this helps a bit.. this was designed to make Logic's factory sound architecture more robust so that amazing sounds could be delivered using the built-in plug-ins.

Back