On the go fl studios tablet pc

HECTEK

ay whats up fp's.....i was wondering since im on the road alot. i was thinking what if i can make beats with my fl studios on a tablet pc.....of course it would need atleast a working usb input,
so i could connect my midi controller....and please dont tell me theres not enough disk space for substantial music making because i know that, its just for ruff draft projects on the go...any feedback from ppl that actually own or have good knowledge on the latest tablets would be highly appreciated...thank you

But between carrying a midi keyboard, headphones, and maybe an audio interface your still gonna want to put it all in a bag to carry. What tablet are you looking at?

like i said i dont know much about tablets, so i need advice from people that actually own or have good knowledge on the latest tablets......(and to the people saying netbooks and laptops i already have one...
i dont want somthing i have to open and close, i just wants something to carry that for the most part is flat
and can be used with some simple headphones, thats it....no interfaces im not recording vocals, just for making prototype projects on the go.......(oh yeah and it must have usb)

Do they even still make Windows tablets? Most Windows based tablets have died in lou of the iPad or Android based tablets. I guess you could get like a HP Slate?

I'm gonna get an iPad when they release FL Studio Mobile for it.

ipad is probably your best bet... they have garageband for it so i don't think it will be too long until they have other daws available on it too

ipad is probably your best bet... they have garageband for it so i don't think it will be too long until they have other daws available on it too

I think he is looking to run FL Studio only though.

Last edited:
Yeah, these days tablets aren't really full-featured PCs. That means they have a different interface, and PC programs can't be installed straight to a tablet. That being said, there are a lot of things you can do with a tablet that you can't do with a PC or Mac. For example, since tablets are multitouch, you can can play chords on an on-screen piano.

There are a bunch of music creaton apps for the iPad other than Garage Band too. Have you heard any of the Gorillaz album "The Fall?" It was produced entirely on an iPad while on tour. Here's a list of the apps they used: downloadsquad.switched(dot)com/2010/12/27/20-ipad-apps-gorillaz-album/

There's also an FL Studio Mobile app in the works: image-line(dot)com/documents/flstudiomobile.html

I have an Android phone and I use the program ULoops as a sketch pad. I'll come up with ideas on it when I'm not at my computer, then translate them into a project in Ableton.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, these days tablets aren't really full-featured PCs. That means they have a different interface, and PC programs can't be installed straight to a tablet.

Naive... A tablet is a PC. Yes you can also install Windows on it and if it has a USB port available you can also use whatever studio equipment you like.

Naive... A tablet is a PC. Yes you can also install Windows on it and if it has a USB port available you can also use whatever studio equipment you like.

Deanlofts, Did you seriously call me naive because I said a tablet is not a full-featured pc? That's just plain dumb and shows an embarrassing lack of insight in general and zero attention to detail.

First of all, I didn't say a tablet is not a PC, I said it is not a "full-featured" PC. While it is true that you can use a tablet that has Windows 7 installed, I wouldn't recommend it for audio production at all. If you're trying to run a full DAW on a machine with limited processing power, limited hard drive speed, and limited RAM, you're going to run into some problems.

Not to mention that Windows 7 and DAWs for Windows are designed to be used with a keyboard in mouse. Sure, if there are USB ports you could attach a keyboard and mouse but at that point why not get a laptop? Do you expect to run a DAW with a fat finger or a stylus controlling tiny knobs and buttons?

So HECTEK, this is my advice to you: get a iPad for cheap or an iPad 2 if you can find one. No need for the 3G version. Check out the AKAI Synth Station: It's a keyboard dock for your iPad/iPhone/iTouch. Research apps. Get FL Studio's iPad app when it comes out.

Deanlofts, Did you seriously call me naive because I said a tablet is not a full-featured pc? That's just plain dumb and shows an embarrassing lack of insight in general and zero attention to detail.

A tablet is a full-featured PC, what can you do on a PC that you can't do on a tablet? I agree not to use a tablet for music production and I also think it is a dumb idea to use a laptop when you can easily spend less money and build a desktop (with a lot more power).

As for using a tablet as a DAW (would not recommend it) you could quite easily install windows 7, add a USB Hub (keyboard, mouse and any dongles covered), an audio interface and a midi controller. It would be like using a Netbook as a studio, not recommended but possible. When I first started producing music I was using a 400MHz Pentium 2 with 256MB of memory so using the right software on a 1GHz processor with 1-2GB of memory is more than possible.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

A tablet is a full-featured PC, what can you do on a PC that you can't do on a tablet? I agree not to use a tablet for music production and I also think it is a dumb idea to use a laptop when you can easily spend less money and build a desktop (with a lot more power).

As for using a tablet as a DAW (would not recommend it) you could quite easily install windows 7, add a USB Hub (keyboard, mouse and any dongles covered), an audio interface and a midi controller. It would be like using a Netbook as a studio, not recommended but possible. When I first started producing music I was using a 400MHz Pentium 2 with 256MB of memory so using the right software on a 1GHz processor with 1-2GB of memory is more than possible.

EDIT: FP posted my reply twice?

Last edited:
I consider full-featured to be on par with fairly current specifications of CPU architecture and speed, RAM, hard drive space, and functionality. A tablet isn't anywhere close to this. And if you're carrying around a keyboard, mouse, and I'm assuming you'd need a stand of sorts, the purpose of having a tablet is lost. Even if you have a dock, you will probably need a desk or some sort of surface to put hold your setup.

Yes, it's true that it is possible to run a DAW on a lower powered system. I first started production using Fruity Loops on a 600mhz AMD CPU. But as processor capabilities increase, software companies in turn will always increase the needs of their program. So maybe FL Studio 9 or 10 could work, but it wouldn't be snappy at all and I expect it would be quite frustrating. Maybe it would be fine with an older version of the software, but then you're running two different versions on your main workstation and mobile. I don't think it's worth paying $600 - $800 for what would most likely be a frustrating experience with a windows 7 tablet.

Bottom line: iPad or iPad 2 is the best option for tablet music production. Other companies making tablets can't compete with Apple's price point and availability of music production apps.

Bottom line: iPad or iPad 2 is the best option for tablet music production. Other companies making tablets can't compete with Apple's price point and availability of music production apps.

I doubt they will be able to come close because of the requirement to carry around studio monitors, audio interface and a midi controller. But hey who knows, maybe one day.

I doubt they will be able to come close because of the requirement to carry around studio monitors, audio interface and a midi controller. But hey who knows, maybe one day.

I plan on placing my entire studio around an iPad starting with this.

arton11643.jpg

Is it practical?
I doubt it, but that's what I'm going for. I'm mostly a song writer, I don't make beats that often but I do like something to mess with melodys and get the feel for writing.

Do they even still make Windows tablets? Most Windows based tablets have died in lou of the iPad or Android based tablets.
VMWare is making a android version of there software for tablet's running android , which means that you will be able to run/use any os on a android .

I plan on placing my entire studio around an iPad starting with this.

arton11643.jpg

Is it practical?
I doubt it, but that's what I'm going for. I'm mostly a song writer, I don't make beats that often but I do like something to mess with melodys and get the feel for writing.

Pretty smooth....

Pretty smooth....

I think you could make at least demo worthy tracks as long as the right software comes out. I don't even own an ipad yet; I'm waiting for FL Studio Mobile to come out; then I will pick it up. I haven't used FL in years, but I know it should be pretty dope all integrated to the Akai keyboard.

I wanna just get some KRK RP5 monitors and the Apogee Mic and I will have a sick little bedroom/mobile song creating station where I could produce and record tracks intuitively. I like to go record with the crew so i think this would be dope and portable to link up and make tracks.

Back