getting software to sound "warmer"

Lodger

Certified Funk Master
I was just curious- why is it that they say that software doesnt sounds as full as hardware? is it that certain frequencies are omitted in the synth occelating process? If i used a sample from an analog machine or a plugin like sampletank, shouldnt that produce a near ideantical effect?

I've noticed people commenting on the warmth of Orion and reason and am just really intrigued- what makes things sound warm, wide, thick and full? Any suggestions for getting more out of software equipment?

~Lodger~

well, anything can be tweaked and boosted during mastering... so it is not a "big" issue if the sound is not compressed and perfect when it comes out of the soft synths.

Just record your lines and tracks in AUDIO when you are ready to roll, and use either Cubase VST or Nuendo to "master" your final track in audio. Use compressors to make things sound louder, CLACK those snares and bass drums etc..

You know, HALF of the work that's invested in an album you buy int he stores is MASTERING and post-production. This is where the phat sound is shaped, where the frequencies are adjusted, effects added, final boost etc..

good luck! hope this helps.
Though not everybody works this way, but a lot do

hey, mano-

where can i find more info on using these two proggys for this reason?

software just doesnt quite sound or feel the same as hardware, i guess it all comes down to the fact that it is just a computer program trying to replicate sounds and so is not going to be able to do it right. you wouldnt expect a computer to be able to give you an exact guitar or tuba or cello noise so why should you expect it to give you an authentic 909 or juno noise. just because it is an electronic instrument doesnt mean it can do it any better, it is still an instrument.
i am not sure if computers require the sound to be simplified to recreate it adn this is where it falls down or if it just just doesnt work with the same range of frequencies but whatever the reason it doesnt soudn the same, hell even hardware such as a drumstation which has circuits to replicate a 909 and 808 doesnt sound like the real deal but has an individual character itself so how can a computer do it. generally copmuter generated sounds sound thin and clean and just are missing the feel, if anyone says otherwise just put a soft synth etc beside its hardware equivelant.

huh.............................well....

if that is so......... how would u say about creamware syns??
or u wana say they are not softwares they are hardwares??
but remember they are programable........
so..............
well............ donno....... maybe maybe.................something........... don't think the DSP chip have anything to do with the sound quality

neilwight said:
software just doesnt quite sound or feel the same as hardware, i guess it all comes down to the fact that it is just a computer program trying to replicate sounds and so is not going to be able to do it right. you wouldnt expect a computer to be able to give you an exact guitar or tuba or cello noise so why should you expect it to give you an authentic 909 or juno noise. just because it is an electronic instrument doesnt mean it can do it any better, it is still an instrument.
i am not sure if computers require the sound to be simplified to recreate it adn this is where it falls down or if it just just doesnt work with the same range of frequencies but whatever the reason it doesnt soudn the same, hell even hardware such as a drumstation which has circuits to replicate a 909 and 808 doesnt sound like the real deal but has an individual character itself so how can a computer do it. generally copmuter generated sounds sound thin and clean and just are missing the feel, if anyone says otherwise just put a soft synth etc beside its hardware equivelant.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hmmm well that response allows a great point from which to debate. glad to see you using all of your intellect on that one.
obviously new synths have computer chips inside them to run the programs and circuits etc, it still is not the same principle as writing a computer program to use whats available inside a computer to replicate the sound. there are too many shortcomings encountered when doing this i guess rather than just having dedicated circuits to produce them. this is where the problems lie i. you cannot possibly tell me that a computer soft synth sounds as good as any hardware equivelant it is trying to replicate.
computer stuff will stay behind hardware until the programers realise that they should make new sounds and synth programs using all the computers abilities and designing it to make the most out of what it can do rather than trying to replicate whats already there. when this happens, then we will see something worth paying attention too. till then the problem of being able to compare will always be there and copmuters will come in second.

Back