FL Studio voted best DAW by MusicRadar users

erosbart

FL Studio voted best DAW by MusicRadar users

Ableton Live comes in a mighty close second
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a hotly contested battle, Image-Line's FL Studio has been named the best DAW in the world today by MusicRadar users.
Almost 19,000 votes were cast in our poll; in the end, it came down to a straight fight between FL Studio and Ableton Live for the win. In the end, it was the former software that triumphed… by a margin of just 17 votes.
In doing so, Image-Line's software became the second DAW to top our poll, taking the crown from Cockos's Reaper, which won in 2010.
Thanks to everyone who voted – click here to see the full rundown of the 15 best DAW software apps in the world today.

I looked at that poll and saw Pro Tools at 7. It's obviously opinionated and based on what the 19,000 voters are using. I love FL Studio, however, is Reaper a better DAW than Cubase, Reason/Record & Pro Tools?

is Reaper a better DAW than Cubase, Reason/Record & Pro Tools?

i wouldn't doubt it...i can hardly tolerate Reason / Record, hate Pro Tools, and am using a streamlined version of Cubase...(Presonus Studio One)

i'd roll w/ Reaper if i wasn't an S1 user; most likely...

props to FL though...they was hated on for YEARS...AT LEAST a decade...HATED ON...lol...

i first heard FL get dissed WAY BACK in 2001...

I looked at that poll and saw Pro Tools at 7. It's obviously opinionated and based on what the 19,000 voters are using. I love FL Studio, however, is Reaper a better DAW than Cubase, Reason/Record & Pro Tools?

The shit was by vote. Meaning how many people using it. And even if some used a multiple of DAW they most likely started with FL and have gotten used to it. I love Reaper. If I didn't have Cubase (to me Cubase is way ahead of everything) I would get Reaper. I love getting straight to the point with editing and that's where Cubase shine and to me that's the most important part of a DAW. With out that and recording it's just a beat machine....................which is why that shit is popular vote due to loops, single shot, vst, 4 to the floor and techno type dudes. Ain't no way.....shit is funny. Seriously.......in all reality. People use FL and it ends up in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, DP, or even Reaper (after a "beat" is made). No hate just being realistic.

---------- Post added 09-15-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-14-2011 at 11:52 PM ----------

Ableton Live? More of a remixing, beat making beast than a dependable DAW. I don't know if they fix it but the time stretching sucks in 7 and down. But you can make a beat fast as hell in it.What I do like about FL and Ableton is the sounds are right there to choose from in your face constantly but it's not anything I miss or slows me down.......I'm good with anything that auditions the sounds before you choose.

EDIT: WOW just went to the page. LOL .....nevemind anything I said.....just wow. DP at..............wow. Popularity contest.

Last edited:
I love getting straight to the point with editing

WORD.

editing workflow is crucial

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

People use FL and it ends up in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, DP, or even Reaper (after a "beat" is made). No hate just being realistic

FACT.

which mean it TECHNICALLY shouldn't be #1; it's not even the LAST / FINAL application used before digital / CD release.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Popularity contest.

isn't that what this whole "industry" basically amounts to???

The fact is that the popularity uses FL studio because its easy and simple, there are better DAW's out there(i.e Ableton Live & Logic Pro) that can do much more and have better sound quality. I've used FL studio for a while and recently switched over to Ableton and I couldn't be happier about the workflow it features.

FL Studio is the quickest way from a beautiful brain to gorgeous speakers ! Everyone can use it , even innocent toddlers !

Never really used Cubase... Protools and Reaper seem pretty similar for the most part. Only messed with protools once or twice....Reaper quite a few times. I like them both. I tried Ableton Live, and while I've heard some cool things made with it, personally i did not like it.Much rather use FL Studio for making beats. When it comes to recording, obviously Reaper or Protools. One thing I dont like about Reaper is the native plugins... I dont really like them at all. The synthesizer...hate. lol But then again, I didnt buy the software, so its cool. I'm still using the evaluation. But it supports VST's so thats a big big plus.

My DAW of choice is Reaper but FL was what I started with. I still open it up from time to time too!

i dont know what alot of you guys are talking about....i do my beat edit and mix everything with FLStudio...alone....its has nothing at all to do with the tools you are using if you know what you are doing i do my mix in FL....juz cuz you do yours in ProTools or Cubase or whatever doesnt mean you have a better mix....simply put....if you cant make a good beat+mix from your DAW.....it's YOU!.....its not what you are using because all of these DAWs are completely equipped with everything you need to generate professional grade audio....period....you can make whatever excuse you want.....your own preference does not make a DAW better than another

The fact is that the popularity uses FL studio because its easy and simple, there are better DAW's out there(i.e Ableton Live & Logic Pro) that can do much more and have better sound quality. I've used FL studio for a while and recently switched over to Ableton and I couldn't be happier about the workflow it features.

If you believe that, you have a lot to learn about DAWs.

FL Definitively and factually does things both Live and Logic do not(tons of things Logic cannot do when it comes to sampling, note panning, even loop editing). I'm sure the same can be said vice versa, but as an FL user who found himself on a Mac, i've become very aware of features FL has that I was forced to miss out on. FL's step sequencer alone is full of intricate one click functions not found in other DAWs.

Anyone who says otherwise has never gotten intricate in FL. Whether you move on for plusses in other programs or not, any real FL user knows it does stuff that other DAWs cannot.

Last edited:
This doesn't surprise me. I personally thought Cubase would have won but I thought FL studio would have been a top 3 thing based on votes.

If they were comparing what these programs actually can do then I think Cubase would have had a higher placing. Not saying that it would win, but things would have been a whole lot different. As it was, the program with the most users simply took top honors. FL has more users. Heck, you gotta pay to play Cubase, even just to demo it. This part of Cubase I fear will doom it and I hate to see that since it's my favorite sequencer.

If they were comparing what these programs actually can do then I think Cubase would have had a higher placing. Not saying that it would win, but things would have been a whole lot different. As it was, the program with the most users simply took top honors. FL has more users. Heck, you gotta pay to play Cubase, even just to demo it. This part of Cubase I fear will doom it and I hate to see that since it's my favorite sequencer.
I agree with this for the most part. I think this vote has more to do with who uses what or who really likes what. Not that these programs are bad programs. I don't care for FL but it is capable of a lot. I thought Sonar, Cubase, Live, Reaper, and Logic would have taken all of the top spots and FL would have been around 6 or 7. I think it was like #5 last year.

Back