Digidesign ripped off my idea!!!

Morning_Star

ProTools + Reason user
For all you that doubted my software design ideas! Lol.

Actually this idea is being worked on by Steve Slate Digital also. I don't think they stole my idea, but maybe because I sent out e-mails about this over a year ago to several software developers including digidesign even before I posted this idea on the feature suggestion forum at Avid. Propellerhead did something similar with Record but my idea was before that and in a different manner. I think they stumbled upon it by accident by just wanting to have a SSL mixer.

My idea was for different types of analog emulation built into the mixer of recording software instead of adding plugins.

It's called HEAT for PT HD. I think this is just the early stages of this. I'm sure we will see new features and modes added later. Here is the link.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/HEAT?intcmp=AV-HP-S3

Here is the link to my feature suggestion.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/19511-3779

I think it's funny how people actually voted down on my idea and it happened anyways.

[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]This looks a bit interesting, but there's plenty of those (annoying in marketing, but I'm not saying application) "warm ssl software that make your mix sound, well, warm...warm is good buy our stuff!". Protools is now just including something like that, I don't see it as a huge deal. I guess it's an addition to protools though, so good news for it's users.
[/FONT]

[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]This looks a bit interesting, but there's plenty of those (annoying in marketing, but I'm not saying application) "warm ssl software that make your mix sound, well, warm...warm is good buy our stuff!". Protools is now just including something like that, I don't see it as a huge deal. I guess it's an addition to protools though, so good news for it's users.
[/FONT]

Oh yeah? Well look at this.

http://www.slatedigital.com/vcc.php

This started popping up for testing soon after my e-mails were sent out.

Well, uh, you mention Record yourself - I'm sure all DAW manufacturers have given dedicated channels strips or something like that some thought ever since it became clear how enthusiastic people were about "getting that SSL sound" from Record's look-a-like mixer (and even Harrison Mixbus to some extent). It's obviously possible that your suggestion was an inspiration, but I'd say it's more about the timing - analog emulations are finally starting to be convincing enough without sucking up all the CPU so that this kind of thing is possible to incorporate.

LOL...Channel Presets in Cubase 5 allow you to do something like this. Just add whatever pluggins/settings you like and save as preset.

Well, uh, you mention Record yourself - I'm sure all DAW manufacturers have given dedicated channels strips or something like that some thought ever since it became clear how enthusiastic people were about "getting that SSL sound" from Record's look-a-like mixer (and even Harrison Mixbus to some extent). It's obviously possible that your suggestion was an inspiration, but I'd say it's more about the timing - analog emulations are finally starting to be convincing enough without sucking up all the CPU so that this kind of thing is possible to incorporate.

Yeah but my original e-mail was before Record. I posted the feature request when I saw Record was "kinda" doing the same thing but it doesn't really offer analog emulation except for the buss compressor as far as I understand. The channels just have dynamics and eq inspired by SSL.

Yeah but my original e-mail was before Record. I posted the feature request when I saw Record was "kinda" doing the same thing but it doesn't really offer analog emulation except for the buss compressor as far as I understand. The channels just have dynamics and eq inspired by SSL.

Hmmmmm well this is what PH says because it says IT IS AN EMULATION/MODELLED of the SSL 9000K because if they just made it only for the buttons I mean why make it? It has that warmth you get from the SSL so it is emulated.

PH:
"All your sounds will end up in Record's main mixer. This mixing console's sound and signal processing was faithfully modelled after* the legendary SSL 9000k analog mixing desk. Flexible routing, full dynamics, EQ, advanced effects handling, full automation and a 64-bit mix bus gives you that big studio sound right out of your computer. And yes, you do get that master-bus compression."

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=mix

Being I have that Mac blown out and it has 8 cores Record is using them and my music sound powerful in it. Better the computer and audio card the better your music will sound sonically.

Last edited:
It would have been implemented even if you would not have mentioned anything.

It takes time to develop software. You just happened to think about an obvious feature they were working on already anyway.

Being I have that Mac blown out and it has 8 cores Record is using them and my music sound powerful in it. Better the computer and audio card the better your music will sound sonically.

This is not true. Reason and Record renders music offline and uses the same process no matter what the specs. It's all 1's and 0's in the end.

Anyways guys, I'm not serious about this thread. I was just pointing out how my idea showed up after a couple of years of sending idea e-mails and such. I'm glad the new feature has shown up but I wish is was for Le because I think the PT HD is a thing of the past. No one "needs" dedicated dsp anymore.

Back