Which DAW?

Max is a nice addition, but not a must IMO. Most produce killer tunes without it
But I can't deny that I find Max to be really cool :)

Well yeah, you don't need it but it has a bunch if useful things. There's like an unlimited amount of devices that you can get for free and they can do some really useful things. For instance, the TapeStop 1.0 device you can install does an awesome tape stop effect. You would have to do a lot to get that effect but with this device you can just set the time and push and hold a button to make it do it.

I personally hate Ableton, and Reason.

Been using ableton a lot lately for school and I cant wait to get back to Pro Tools.

^^^I demoed live and couldn't figure that out. Checked youtube for tutorials, made a thread here on FP. Everyone talked about how easy it was, but no one can link me to a vid showing how it's done.

Again, all I want to do is Drag/drop an audio file, Crop it while using loop points so I know it's looping fluently, and time stretch/pitch it. I can do that literally in 7 mouse clicks in Reason. Wouldn't care if it's 20 in another program if the job can actually be done. I'd love to use Ableton or of the support of AU/VST. But I can find no examples of this being done. At this point I've invested so much in REs I don't think the few VSTs I have that I'm not using matter much, lol, but still would love giving ableton a run if it's capable of doing this.

That's because it's so basic no one thought to make a tutorial.

Before trying to follow this explanation, if you don't know the basics of scene launch view and using clips you should look that up first.
Now in scene launch view drag any audio file into one of the tracks. It will automatically make a clip. Double click this clip and it will open the audio browser (lower part of screen). Here you have options for setting the start and end of the loop. Or if it's a straight shot or how many times to play it or whatever else you can think of.

As far as how many clicks of the mouse it takes: It takes one click and drag for the audio file into Live, one double click to open the audio window, two more click and drags to move the start and end of loop. That's a total of four mouse actions to import an audio file and set the loop.

note: Live uses the term 'clips' instead of 'samples' because it applies both to shorter samples and longer audio files and treats them in the same manner (for the most part)

Also there are some really good resources on the Ableton site as well as tutorials online for live... Part of the issue is learning some of the naming conventions. For example if you look for working with samples you'll find much less than if you search working with clips'... Or session view and scene launch, working with scenes, clips (samples/audio files).

Back