Which DAW?

hayez

i sample pretty much for every beat i make and i layer with other samples so i was wondering what DAW would be best for sampling and easily having the ability to tune and timestretch the samples?

It's an opinion. The ability to use MP3's without converting them to WAV format, slicing to Kong, Dr. Octo Rex, NNXT, NN19, and the tempo detection and time stretching are the best out there... IMO.

I have a few DAW's, including Reason 7, and for the process of chopping and manipulating samples I'd choose Reason 99 times out of 100.

Last edited:
If I were looking to buy a new DAW right now, I'd wait a week for the Bitwig Studios demo. I don't know whether it'll be as great as it looks or as bad as some people fear, but I'd definitely wait for its release before buying a DAW.

If you use samples a lot, I think Live is the best solution. When you look at the time stretching, drum racks, Simpler, Sampler, instrument racks and effects racks, there is a ton of flexibility there.

Anything your thinking about will work.
But if your on a budget. Podium free with shortcircuit, and a wave editor.This is actually a very powerful way to go.
Use the extra money for your interface, and a good controller.
Not on a budget then use whatever, but somebody reading this might not have the ca$h to drop on a fancy daw.

I use FL Studio pretty freaking intuitive to manipulate. Honestly though it depends on the feel you're going for though, and what you are comfortable with in the end. Disclaimer though.. you will at least want FL Studio Pro Edition... the basic severely limits functionality in my opinion by blocking certain features.

Last edited:
Ableton Live takes the cake for that. Also one of the most stable DAWS that can run VST's out there. It also has a really nice way of dealing with clips and sampled sounds that isn't linear based. Linear based sequencing and track work kind of sucks though...

If you get Ableton, you need the Suite so you can get Max for Live. You can download so many awesome instruments and effects. There's actually some devices that give Ableton extra functionality. It's awesome.

If you get Ableton, you need the Suite so you can get Max for Live. You can download so many awesome instruments and effects. There's actually some devices that give Ableton extra functionality. It's awesome.

Max is a nice addition, but not a must IMO. Most produce killer tunes without it
But I can't deny that I find Max to be really cool :)

Back