Is Cubase the best DAW for Yamaha equipment

mwandishi

I just got a Motif ES rack and I can't seem to get it to work full with FL studio ( i posted a question for help but nobody seems to know). So I'm at the point of frustration and want to know if I ditch FL should I automatically go with Cubase (which ver?) if I want to get the most out of my motif rack? Thanks guys!

The answer might be yes to that. Yamaha and Steinberg are now in a joint venture and cubase AI is supposed to made with yamaha in mind, so they are supposed to sync up perfectly. Yamaha now comes with cubase AI to my unerstanding.

Id assume the latest cubase 6 syncs the same, but its definetly worth reviewing first.

I just got a Motif ES rack and I can't seem to get it to work full with FL studio ( i posted a question for help but nobody seems to know). So I'm at the point of frustration and want to know if I ditch FL should I automatically go with Cubase (which ver?) if I want to get the most out of my motif rack? Thanks guys!

Here's my 30 cents I have experience with using a Motif Rack Es in both FL Studio and Cubase. First, I give props to FL Studio for being as deep as it is. You can get the Motif Es to work in FL Studio in what I call the "old fashioned" way. By routing midi and audio. FL takes it a step further by allowing you to build an interface within FL that gives you a virtual interface to some of the controls of the Motif Es. It's very powerful though somewhat quirky. I've done it and made beats that way so I know this for sure. It also has total recall so when you open up the FL song file, all the settings come back on the Motif.

Cubase on the other hand is the very best host for Yamaha gear. The reason is that Yamaha gear and Cubase have a special relationship that basically turns your hardware into software. The Motif becomes a VSTi inside of Cubase. In fact, when you set it up, you'll find the Motif listed as a VST instrument in the same place as your other VST instruments. There's a piece of dedicated software called Yamaha Studio Manager (Studio Connections official site) that has a real interface for all of the Motif's settings, including the deeper synth programming controls. It has total recall and is the best way to work with a Motif. I've done all of this too so I'm sure about it. It's very impressive. Basically, you just turn the Motif power on and everything else you do in Cubase. Of course, this takes a little know how and maybe some trial and error, but it works. I would help you with it but frankly I haven't done this in a long time and I'm definitely rusty on the process. The best I can do is tell you that all the above will work whether you choose the FL route or the Cubase route. Cubase is best because of the Studio Manager.

It's also possible in Cubase to install the patch names script for the Motif. (motifator.com - support) Basically, you place this file in Cubase directory and it will allow you to choose Motif Presets from the inspector in Cubase. It's powerful, but nothing like using Studio Manager.

Good Luck

Yes, Cubase is a good choice for working with Yamaha gear. If you have mlan, you have additional opportunities as well.

It's also possible in Cubase to install the patch names script for the Motif. (motifator.com - support) Basically, you place this file in Cubase directory and it will allow you to choose Motif Presets from the inspector in Cubase. It's powerful, but nothing like using Studio Manager.

Good Luck

I thought it gave the preset names automatically.

Last edited:
I don't know about the ES but the XS has really good integration with Cubase. You can practically use it as a vsti in Cubase. But the ES will at least work by adding the matching intrument set and pairing it with a midi output. It's very simple to do and convenient. You still have to route the keyboard audio outputs somewhere where you can hear them, though.

Yeah, the ES has the same system as the XS. Once you set it up, you actually access the Motif from the VST dialog right with the other VST instruments. I think the XS might be slicker though.

Thanks guys. I've been working on it FL and now I'm leaning toward Cubase. I was hoping that I could just hook up the ES and get going in FL but you can tell your not getting it's full capability. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the learning curve of the ES and a new DAW.

Thanks guys. I've been working on it FL and now I'm leaning toward Cubase. I was hoping that I could just hook up the ES and get going in FL but you can tell your not getting it's full capability. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the learning curve of the ES and a new DAW.

You are getting it's full capability in FL. At the end of the day it's just midi and audio. The difference is whether or not you're doing most of your editing on the ES or in the sequencer. FL is impressive in that it allows you to build an interface to control the basics of the ES but you will need to do deeper edits directly on the ES hardware itself, in that tiny window. It's how it was done before this virtual stuff came along. The Yamaha Studio Manager just makes it a great deal easier in my opinion. People who came from hardware first might disagree with that.

You are getting it's full capability in FL. At the end of the day it's just midi and audio. The difference is whether or not you're doing most of your editing on the ES or in the sequencer. FL is impressive in that it allows you to build an interface to control the basics of the ES but you will need to do deeper edits directly on the ES hardware itself, in that tiny window. It's how it was done before this virtual stuff came along. The Yamaha Studio Manager just makes it a great deal easier in my opinion. People who came from hardware first might disagree with that.

I hear what your saying but since my last post I've continued to experiment with FL and contact Yamaha. I thought I found a solution on a FL forum (which probably one of the most cluttered forums I've ever seen) when someone post a couple of preset files for dashboard. Installed it and thought I was in business, but the presets were off. So I started making a list of my favorite sounds and what it said on FL. Okay so I'm happy now and I'm in business, right? No! I try to send the channel to the mixer, and nothing shows up! I can't adjust my levels! No I started messing with Cubase click a couple of midi buttons, and boom a complete list of the default sounds! maybe it will take time to figure out the FL interface, but when I bought the ES I wanted to maximize it. Ironically, instead of figuring out FL now I have to figure out Cubase.
Thanks for the advice!

Back