Cubase and Atari ST

Atari is a game console, but they also made computers back in the 80s.
The Atari ST line of computers (520ST, 1040ST, MegaST, etc) was widely used in music applications because it has built in MIDI ports. Older computers were more stable than the PCs we have, mostly because there was less going on inside (the same way older cars with their simple engines can be more reliable than newer ones with their complicated fuel economy gadgets and ecological stuff) Read the previous posts to see the mini-debate on this thing's stability.
today maybe hardware sequencers maybe more effective (qy-700, yamaha Rmx1, rs7000, etc)... but since I only got mine for $16.50 off ebay, I thought this was worth a try. (although, I'm still without a monitor :()

Ok I seem to get it now... :) lOl.... yay, I was thinking th Games and I wa slike..... huh.... what!? I didn't know they made computers too.... thanks for the info...

inside (the same way older cars with their simple engines can be more reliable than newer ones with their complicated fuel economy gadgets and ecological stuff)
:confused:
You ever owned an old car? They break down all the time. Their simpler to fix sure, but more reliable??!!
Sorry this is way off topic isn't it?

KasioRoks

fine.. ok, that was a horrible example...

but I still need to know about my last question

Sorry, should have put a smiley on:) Just killing time at the brain drain.

If you can figure out a way to get my ST monitor (correct res, B&W) from me in London to you in Noo Joisee which is financially viable for you and doesn't cost me a bean and whether there will be any issues about power (how many volts does US mains run at?) then you can have yourself a working Atari monitor. I was going to sell it with the actual computer, but that's on the blink and it'll cost me about as much to fix it as I'd make selling it.

PM me if you're interested - but I can imagine that it will be too difficult to sort out.

KasioRoks.

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe, that's cool :)
yeah, I PMed you about the monitor.

thanks again :)

I use an Atari st and they are the best sequencers ever! many producers still use them as they quite simply do the job!.It is well worth getting a good original copy and you WILL have to pay for it im afraid, there around £40 now, but the manuals are about £60 to buy dearer than the software!.I cant remember the exact web address right now but just type "tims atari" into google and you will see the site at the top of the search page.Once onto the site click "software" then select "cubase" and scoll down till you get the yellow "keychange" link.This will take you to a guy called Barrie. This guy is the buisness when it comes to atari software, repairs,upgrades etc think he is based in yorks but very resonable i found. Take it from me it is difficult to find a good dealer in atari **** these days so give him go. Good luck mate.....

wow you dug up an old thread

since then (3 years ago now) I got, used (with much success) and sold my Atari ST.

It wasn't that I didn't like the atari... in fact, I think I was able to work most productively with it. But it was kind of slow (with booting up and saving and what not) It was very easy... a no frills sequencer, but with everything I needed. But also took up space that I was short on, and power outlets that I was even shorter on.

sometimes I wish I still had it ....

Back