Cubase 6

I think...I'm updating as we speak. LOL I promised myself that I would stop updating every single cycle so I skipped Cubase 5 even though it was an incredible release. But now I'm updating for certain. The funny thing is, this update is cheaper than the update to 5! I expected it to be the same price, but not cheaper. So I'm updating my Hypersonic 2 to Halion Sonic and Cubase 4 to 6.

The update looks amazing as usual. What Steinberg are doing with VST Expressions is on a whole new level from what anyone else is doing. That is really the biggest draw for me. I'm looking for ways to achieve more expressive and realistic sounds short of having real musicians in my bedroom.

You should def d/l the free update to 5.5. Fixes some nasty bugs.

So far I like the new tweaks and instruments..Hitpoint detection has been imporved. Group edits,VST Expression 2...not bad

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I think...I'm updating as we speak.

@149.99...Im tempted to do so as well

as usualy steinberg have the best product videos!!

if I wasn't using Pro Tools at uni i'd be really looking at Cubase as a main DAW.

I have 5.5 and will Update once it gets to at least 6.1...........bugs will probably be found in the 6.0 release.

Halion Sonic SE with 900 presets hellll ya!

holy sh*T...cubase 6!!! man cubase is my favorite f*kkin sequencer in the world!! I've tried them all (Pro tools, reaper,Ableton, Sonar,fl studio..etc)...nothing is as intuitve & robust as Cubase. This new version is the answer!!!

I have 5.5 and will Update once it gets to at least 6.1...........bugs will probably be found in the 6.0 release.

Halion Sonic SE with 900 presets hellll ya!

You might as well get 6.0. Its not likely that that you will be able to upgrade from 5.xx to a minor update like 6.1 w/o first having 6.0.

holy sh*T...cubase 6!!! man cubase is my favorite f*kkin sequencer in the world!! I've tried them all (Pro tools, reaper,Ableton, Sonar,fl studio..etc)...nothing is as intuitve & robust as Cubase. This new version is the answer!!!

Same here. I've tried everything but I kept coming back to Cubase. Somehow, they seem to think the way I think in terms of how features are actually implemented. New things are where I expect them to be. If you know how to get around Windows, Cubase follows the same concepts. There are definitely some deeper stuff that aren't obvious, but you find everything with a simple right click. Eventually, I would like to use only what's inside Cubase but that's probably not realistic. Otherwise, I'll focus only on VST instruments that are made to be compatible with VST Expressions.

I'm also getting the update to Halion Sonic. I don't expect it to really be altogether too serious, but for $99.00, it's a reasonable upgrade price from Hypersonic 2. And frankly, Hypersonic 2 was not all that serious about the instruments, but I liked how it worked. Halion Sonic should step up it's game, especially with VST Expressions. I'm going to uninstall a lot of stuff. I don't want anything that isn't VST Expressions compatible. I'm not talking about drumming solutions, just brass, guitars, strings, etc.

Same here. I've tried everything but I kept coming back to Cubase. Somehow, they seem to think the way I think in terms of how features are actually implemented. New things are where I expect them to be. If you know how to get around Windows, Cubase follows the same concepts. There are definitely some deeper stuff that aren't obvious, but you find everything with a simple right click. Eventually, I would like to use only what's inside Cubase but that's probably not realistic. Otherwise, I'll focus only on VST instruments that are made to be compatible with VST Expressions.

I'm also getting the update to Halion Sonic. I don't expect it to really be altogether too serious, but for $99.00, it's a reasonable upgrade price from Hypersonic 2. And frankly, Hypersonic 2 was not all that serious about the instruments, but I liked how it worked. Halion Sonic should step up it's game, especially with VST Expressions. I'm going to uninstall a lot of stuff. I don't want anything that isn't VST Expressions compatible. I'm not talking about drumming solutions, just brass, guitars, strings, etc.

Good stuff...do you know if cubase has adopted the Docking windows layout?(ie. Sonar X1, Logic..etc). Thats something I've learned to deal with whenit comes to Cubase(the whole floating windows dilema), but it would be great if cubase 6 make windows "snap" together in a more magnetic way, because even with the workspace function those windows tend to move to loosely around the screen.

After looking at the videos I was hoping Steinberg would do a overhaul on some of the other included instruments (Spector, Mystic, Prologue..etc)...looks like Halion Sonic was the only real VSt Instrument Upgrade...thank god...overall I wasnt a big fan of HalionONe...it simple pales in comparsion to included instruments in other DAWS(ie Logic Pro).

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see so many people who find the floating windows to be such a dilemma. I've been reading over on KVR and there are quite a few posts about it. That part of Cubase has not been changed. But frankly, I use window sets. If I want a different configuration, I press a single key and it instantly changes to that configuration. It's not so different than the "one window for everything" metaphor. You have several windows on your screen. If one windows is not big enough, you drag it to make it bigger unless you have a key command that maxes it or whatever. In Cubase, you create a window set that does the exact same thing. Visually, they both look the same. You just have to take some time to manually create your windowsets and assign a key to each one. After that, you shouldn't have to ever resize a window manually, unless you want to. Then when you press the key command, it snaps right back to the predefined window set configuration. With the workspaces, my windows never move loosely around the screen. That would mean that the system simply doesn't work if that was the case. I've used the same windowsets for years. They're saved in my preferences file which I just copy from one install to the next, along with all my custom key commands, etc.

I don't know about the synths. I suppose, I've found all synths to be more or less the same. Once you learn how to program a synth, you should be able to get more or less the same sounds out of a similarly spec'd synth. They don't sound all that different.

I also wasn't a fan of HalionOne. It was junk in my opinion. Logic is the yard stick by which other DAW built in instruments (and effects, presets, etc, etc) are measured. Logic did something that had never been seen before with the included content. But frankly, Logic doesn't have anything like VST Expressions. So while I've always respected the instruments in Logic, they can't achieve what an plugin which is compatible with VST Expressions can achieve in Cubase. I still don't know just how good Halion Sonic is though. I don't have unrealistic hopes about it. Anything really serious will cost a lot more money. Cubase will have a handful of useable patches in Halion Sonic SE included with Cubase, but it won't seek to compete with Halion Sonic, which itself is not an expensive purchase. We'll see though. Halion Sonic with it's 900 presets and VST Expressions compatibility might close the gap with Logic. In terms of quality, it might even over take Logic.

Finally some decent time stretching algorithms in cubase! I'm going to upgrade my 5.5 just for that reason.

I really like the other features like multi drum quantization, the new way of taking/editing multiple takes. tempo extraction and hitpoints to midi has also been a long avaited feature of me - and now it's finally here. And vst expression 2 is simply amazing but unfortunately quite useless for the next months (or even years) to come as 3rd party manufactures have to support to make it really useful. I also like the new inspector bar in the midi editor and the new automation modification possibilities.

Some disappointments:
still no way to display inserts and sends simultaneously in the mixer view. colouring of mixer channels would be nice to have (at least the option), "real" routing in the mixer (routing one channel to multiple targets)

Finally some decent time stretching algorithms in cubase! I'm going to upgrade my 5.5 just for that reason.

I really like the other features like multi drum quantization, the new way of taking/editing multiple takes. tempo extraction and hitpoints to midi has also been a long avaited feature of me - and now it's finally here. And vst expression 2 is simply amazing but unfortunately quite useless for the next months (or even years) to come as 3rd party manufactures have to support to make it really useful. I also like the new inspector bar in the midi editor and the new automation modification possibilities.

Some disappointments:
still no way to display inserts and sends simultaneously in the mixer view. colouring of mixer channels would be nice to have (at least the option), "real" routing in the mixer (routing one channel to multiple targets)

The companies like Chris Hein that make serious quality instruments are of course already supporting VST Expressions for a year now. Who knows if the likes of Sonic Reality or Native Instruments will ever support it.

I thought you could already route 1 channel to multiple destinations. I mean, you can already route a signal back to an audio track and record it's audio in real time. So if you can do that, then you may be able to tell multiple channels/tracks to receive that signal in the same way, and those multiple channels all have destinations of their own.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

If I have any disappointments, it would be somewhere in the details. I always wished for more key modifiers. Key command flexibility is about the best I've seen of any program I've used, but Logic is smarter about the key modifiers. Like FL Studio, I would like to temporarily hold a key or set of keys to toggle variations on the current tool, or other tools without actually having to switch tools, then switch back.

Last edited:
The companies like Chris Hein that make serious quality instruments are of course already supporting VST Expressions for a year now. Who knows if the likes of Sonic Reality or Native Instruments will ever support it.

I thought you could already route 1 channel to multiple destinations. I mean, you can already route a signal back to an audio track and record it's audio in real time. So if you can do that, then you may be able to tell multiple channels/tracks to receive that signal in the same way, and those multiple channels all have destinations of their own.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

If I have any disappointments, it would be somewhere in the details. I always wished for more key modifiers. Key command flexibility is about the best I've seen of any program I've used, but Logic is smarter about the key modifiers. Like FL Studio, I would like to temporarily hold a key or set of keys to toggle variations on the current tool, or other tools without actually having to switch tools, then switch back.

yeah, but vst expression is not vst expression 2 - no other plugin than halion sonic supports vst expression 2 at the moment. this means you can't assign any modulation midi data to a single note.

well, there are ways of sending one channel to several other channels by using sends. but those are not advanced routing capabalities like they are available in nuendo 5 or pro tools where you can set up multiple routing destinations.

oh, and a nother disappointment: it seems like they didn't fix the windowing system - so you still have to put everything "always on top" to avoid resizing of the sequencer window. I learned to live with that but for many it's a real bummer!

yeah, but vst expression is not vst expression 2 - no other plugin than halion sonic supports vst expression 2 at the moment. this means you can't assign any modulation midi data to a single note.

But it shows that you probably won't wait 2 years, I believe that was the comment. VST Expressions is being supported already.

well, there are ways of sending one channel to several other channels by using sends. but those are not advanced routing capabalities like they are available in nuendo 5 or pro tools where you can set up multiple routing destinations.

OK. I'm shrugging. But I guess it's important that it be "advanced".

oh, and a nother disappointment: it seems like they didn't fix the windowing system - so you still have to put everything "always on top" to avoid resizing of the sequencer window. I learned to live with that but for many it's a real bummer!

I never resize windows in Cubase. That's what the windowsets are for. I also don't much use "Always on top". I've never really liked that. I don't think the way Cubase windows works is actually broken. A lot of people just want it to be changed. It wasn't "broken" until sequencers like Live came along with the "all in one concept". Suddenly, Cubase was broken. LOL Well, that's the great thing about choice. Everyone can have what works for them. I like to have single windows occupy the entire screen. If it's half the size of the screen, "as in Live and the rest", you spend a lot more time scrolling, and probably resizing.

You know, I would love to update to Cubase 6. But this is the 3rd major rev release in like 4 years. First Cubase 4 dropped in like 07, then Cubase 5 in late 08, now we're getting Cubase 6 in 11.

That's a bad sign. More than likely means that the previous versions were crap and they knew it, and they had so many bugs to fix, that the next release had to be a major revision.

I'm still having issues from when I went to cubase sx 3 (rock solid) to cubase 5. All my midi notes come in about 1/32 EARLY. No matter what I do...system time stamp doesn't work, none of that stuff works.

Steinberg hasn't been able to help me. Cubase forums haven't been able to help me. Not anybody.

For all the cool features that they have and I love, if they can't fix this basic issue for me, I'm gonna dump it for Pro Tools.

Back