Cakewalk.... it's really good...

D

dj funkifize

I don't know why everyone always recommends Cubase over Cakewalk. I think it's sooo much better (IMO). It's easier to learn and just plain easy to use.
Now I'm not trying to start a Cakewalk/Cubase war or anything. Not at all. It just seems to me that Cakewalk isn't regaurded as "professional" as Cubase or Logic. It can do everything Cubase can (as far as I can tell) and it's a whole lot easier (to me at least). Well, anyway... my point is really don't forget Cakewalk, especially with their new release of Sonar (which I want to get asap :) )

ok, that's it
:)
Mike

well Im not sure that Cakewalk is a VST 2.0 compliant host... which means that you can open any VST instruments and effects in Logic or Cubase.. and not in Cakewalk

This, plus audio-wise, cakewalk is the less advanced of the three.

But hey.,.. i love cakewalk, I used to use it all the time because its easy to disable the audio on it, and to use it as a straight MIDI sequencer without using a lot of CPU resource (very useful when I was working on a Pentium 200!)

ahh one more thing.. Cakewalk just released "Sonar", the newest version.. i am not sure but maybe it can host VST devices now... and maybe the audio is a little more advanced.. not sure i havent tried it yet

anywya, hope this post makes you understand why logic or cubase are generally chosen or talked about.

it is always user pref
i think both sux very very bad :)
try useing protools or logic
cake walk is for begginers or someone who doesnt take the time and effort to learn software...
logic and protools have more of a learning curve but after u learn one or both u will never look at cubas or cakewalk ever again
go into any major studio and 80%are using protools
some are running logic on protools...:)
no one uses cakewalk if they do and i have never seen one...
cubase is a little more freindly, but still sux (imo)
look at some leading plugin makers that droped vst to go to rtas and tdm = protools there is a reason for that
it is the most supported host based platform there is..
meaning the major part of the profesion uses this not begginers :) skip to the next level....

give me 40.000 dollars so I can go and get a decent (not complete even!) proTOOLS TDM setup :)

the MIX3 ("cube") is ultra cool though.. wouldnt mind replacing my Pulsar II for one :)

I think the program is only as good as the person who is using it.
For me, at least, Cakewalk does everything I need and it took only like 1 day to figure it all out. No wasted time on learning and I could start working on tracks right away. What more could you ask?
Yeah, i know it's all preference. :D
Without sounding like a salesman for it, IMO it's an excellent program for almost any production need.

and no, Mano, Sonar doesn't support VST. But it does include 8 new Dx plug-ins and there are more and more Dx plug-ins coming out all the time. ;)

I still like Cakewalk better though (hehe):D:)

Sonar, from my understanding, is allowing VST plugs in a DirectX enviro, utilizing a little tool which name escapes me.

Cakewalk is quite simplistic, which is a benefit and a shortcoming...as it does require you to do quite a bit of external processing (external of the program, not necessarily the whole computer).

I still contend VAZ is completely sufficient and demolishes the need for tons of VST modules, anyhow. :D

help!

Hi,

You may be able to help me. I've got cuebase for my PC but like you said, it's pretty tough to use. I have the software for cakewalk, but my computer won't let me install it. It keeps prompting me to remove files from D:drive, which is a bit odd, if you could e-mail me some advice on this i'd be much obliged. My e-mail address is kemistry77@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers::confused:

hi, I replied to your thread in the "everyday chat" forum.
you most likely need to install it to another drive. It sounds like your D:\ drive is full.
let me know if that works
:)

Thanks for the advice,
We've actually settled for Sonic Foundry Acid Pro. It's pretty simple to use, and good for creating loop sample music on, so it's good for making trance tunes. I'm still having a little trouble getting my head around Rebirth though, I understand the basics, but it's hard to get a good variation of loops on there, it all sounds a bit samey. If you could give us any tips that would be cool.

Thanks, take care:cheers:

Hi, I'm a Cakewalk user myself, and I wanted to add that Cakewalk can se VST2 instruments via a piece of software called Fxpansion VST-DX Adapter found here : http://www.fxpansion.com/ . I think this Cakewalk vs. Cubase discussion could go on forever, but IMO it's all about finding the software titles that fulfills your needs. I don't have a very advanced setup so I can pretty much control everything from within Cakewalk, but I understand that users with more outboard equipment might find CW a bit limited. Again; it's all about finding a software enviroment that you're comfortable with :)

/oDD-BeeR

Hie

Im looking for a bit of help with Sonar LE ..Managed to setup all and recording fine ..Vocals sound a bit dodgy though ..Any tips on effects i need to add to the vocals , compressor etc to give me a good sounding vocal ...???

mightymusik said:
Hie

Im looking for a bit of help with Sonar LE ..Managed to setup all and recording fine ..Vocals sound a bit dodgy though ..Any tips on effects i need to add to the vocals , compressor etc to give me a good sounding vocal ...???
Why are you bringing this 7 years old thread up just to ask a question like that?

mightymusik said:
Hie

talent.

Obitheincredible said:
i concur! i record stuff and rarely have to add efx before mix time. there is no substitute for a good take. and i'd rather have old threads dug up then new ones started with the same old answers.
LevLove

mommy, whats a gravedigger?
mommy, whats a gravedigger?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Learn to use the console strip eq. Look it up in your manual. Just as good as alot of vintage EQ emulation fx(Waves SSL, URS, ect.)

Cheers

Il have a look at that ...Would sonar be as good as the likes of Cubase in terms of recording vocals and stuff ...Have had a few comments from mate tellin me Cakewalk products are no good ??

Bless

Back