Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best DAW for EDM

Thanks

Best DAW for EDM

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi

I'm a newbie wanting to buy laptop/mac and music production/DAW software.

Want to produce music like Disciples, Calvin Harris etc...EDM with vocals

I've heard plus/minus about a few DAWS - eg FL great, but not so good with audio...but can anyone advise me on :
    1) whether mac or laptop? and best ones?
    2) suggestions for DAW?

Doesn't have to be 'budget'

Many thanks

Andy

Thanks
    1) I think it's purely subjective these days. The best bang for the buck from a pure horsepower perspective is to build a tower PC - on the other hand, you can take a Macbook out of the shiny box and be up and running in no time and unless you know you're going to do super demanding projects, you'll probably be just fine with it even if it isn't that powerful spec-wise (you'll probably end up reading benchmarks where someone's running 250 heavy reverb plugins on their beast of a machine, but who needs that in the real world?). So basically it's a choice whether or not you need to be able to move around with your setup, and then choosing which OS platform you're most comfortable with.

I'm personally a Mac guy, but as said it's mostly out of comfort - all my work machines for the past 15 years have been Macs, and most of the time at home as well. Then again, before that I've got another 15 years as a PC guy. I didn't hate that, I just like Macs a bit more.

2) I could just say "get Ableton Live" and be done with it (since it's probably the most popular platform for all kinds of electronic music these days and I've used it since 2003), but I guess if you want to make an informed choice, the best thing is to download trial versions of a bunch of DAWs and try them out & have at least a few days to play around with each.
    Last edited by krushing; 08-17-2017 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    AfroJack, Deadmau5, BT, and a number of others use or have used FL Studio. I'd say start there with a decent PC.
    "... got a problem with your processor? your gonna have to call pentium for that." - joey tunez

Thanks
    I never noticed FLstudio was bad with audio if you crank up the settings. Perfectly fine choice.

Personally I'm a big fan of the NI Maschine right now. I've been doing it over 12 years, but I can see it's a great beginner's device as well.
    The software isn't quite as fully featured as a DAW, but that means it doesn't get in the way and you don't get distracted by advanced features you don't really need.
    Once you do need a step up, get any of the regular DAWs like Ableton, Logic, Reaper or Fruity and it'll slot right in... meaning you can keep working a familiar workflow,
    even carry over your projects and such.

But it'll be a while before you do. When I got mine, I decided to ditch my DAW at least for a while and see what I could do with just the Maschine, as an experiment.
    So far, I'm still doing that and having more fun with my music than I've had for a long time. I don't really miss the features it supposedly lacks, and they're adding new stuff in all the time.

Thanks
    Go For Cubase 9.5 Pro mate

Thanks
    Cubase Pro 9.5 for sure
    PARIS <- - -> DETROIT

Thanks
    Ableton 10 is great.

Thanks
    Too many to name.
    For me I'd have to say FL Studio & Reason give me the character I want.
    Producer since 2010.
    Tecmo, Ubisoft, Bandai, Marvel, Arc.

Thanks
    Cubase for EDM all the way. If you are just starting, use templates to get your production skills going to right direction. Checkout: EDM templates

Thanks
    If the question is what is the best daw for a genre, I will say nothing.
    For everyone, that answer is different.
    Producer since 2010.
    Tecmo, Ubisoft, Bandai, Marvel, Arc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Helpinyaout For This Useful Post:

Thread Information