Ableton Sample/Audio Editor Dilemma ---->

Logic_Marsalis

Iknow that to edit a audio file in Ableton you have to use an outside sample editor program, but my question is once you edit a audio file in the editor (i am using Wavelab) are you able to UNDO an edit???

i know this seems like a dumb question but when i go to edit undo in both Ableton and Wavelab that option is disabled?

This is the only reason I havent made the full switch from Cubase to Ableton. Cubase sample editor is wayyy better and user friendly than Ableton.

I am not talking about the Sampler midi vst. I am talking about editing an audio file (i.e. silence, fade out/in, normalize, etc)

thanks in advance!

i already have the Ableton Sampler but thats for sampling and it only works on a midi track. i am talkin about the Audio Editor. Once your edit goes through in Wavelab theres not way to undo if you make a mistake. theres got to be a way to undo if you make a mistake but i think im missing it

The best thing to do is try to rename the sample once you open your audio editor. That way your original will stay intact.

i already have the Ableton Sampler but thats for sampling and it only works on a midi track. i am talkin about the Audio Editor. Once your edit goes through in Wavelab theres not way to undo if you make a mistake. theres got to be a way to undo if you make a mistake but i think im missing it

Oh, my bad. I know its non destructive if you stay in sampler and slice or convert to MIDI, then you can always go back to how it was. Or you can do what my man up above ^^^^^ said and name it two different names when you save the sample you re-worked?

I am not too familiar with Wavelab, its been a long time since I have even looked at that program, so I can't help you when you bring that into the equation, but I know you can do what I think your asking in Live alone. Well, at least with Sampler.

ONE

ok that might be the only solution. a lot of work but it seems like the only solution. i appreciate you insight because im sittin here tryin destroying a file on purpose to trying to figure out something.

thanks a lot man....if i find out a way to use the undo button i will let you know.

Oh, my bad. I know its non destructive if you stay in sampler and slice or convert to MIDI, then you can always go back to how it was. Or you can do what my man up above ^^^^^ said and name it two different names when you save the sample you re-worked?

I am not too familiar with Wavelab, its been a long time since I have even looked at that program, so I can't help you when you bring that into the equation, but I know you can do what I think your asking in Live alone. Well, at least with Sampler.

ONE

im gonna work on tryin it this way. i know its probally something im missing. all im tryin to do is to some simple editing like muting unwanted kicks, snares in a audio file. havent fully grasped SAMPLER yet but from messing around with it .. its seems to put MPC to rest but i dont know if i could let editing in a mpc go personally.

I haven't really even needed an audio editor when working with Live for some time now. All the things you've described here can be done easily with Live.

I haven't really even needed an audio editor when working with Live for some time now. All the things you've described here can be done easily with Live.

can u point me in the right direction because ive been on this thing for over 18 hours straight and havent seen anything i want.

u have to save the original...once u leave live...u lose it's features...

when i work with samples...i just do my editing in live...put the whole song/part on one track and then i make my clips from there...from there i can arrange them however i want...drumrack....sampler....etc etc....

u put your audio clips in sampler and trigger it thru midi...

so u can either manipulate audio thru sampler or a regular audio chanell....either way works....remember that audi is non destructive so u can copy any sould to a clip and do whatever u want to it and make as many copies as u want and live still saves the orginal sample.....

can u point me in the right direction because ive been on this thing for over 18 hours straight and havent seen anything i want.

Silence, fadeouts and the like? They're all easy to do with the clip envelopes (select clip, select the envelopes section, select "volume" & start drawing in your mutes & fades) or simply in the main arrangement's automation lanes if you're working on a complete (or already-built) arrangment. There's no normalization as such (besides normalizing on export), but since you can individually adjust the gain for each clip - or use the utility plugin, this shouldn't be a problem.

Back