Ableton LIVE Sound Quality... Your Thoughts

Most of it is the same stuff that was there 5 years ago, lol. The stuff that get's added wasn't as important 5 years ago. I did buy the Waves L3($500)back when brickwall limiters weren't included in DAWs(they're so common now in DAWs and bundles that's one of the most senseless purchases I've ever made). I can't think of anything else I ever needed that was never in the DAW(pitch correction/Autotune excluded because I don't use it).
true I was thinking mostly of instruments. FX have been on point for a long while come to think of it

Hmmm, that's kind of odd becuase by default ableton put's preset's effects wet% to 100% when you drop one in. Are you trying any of the presets? Like, if you click the little triangle to the left of the effect in the menu, it will open a drop down menu with a bunch of presets. I think maybe if you dont use a preset everything will be set to flat, and so yeah, you wont hear any difference.

I turn the sliders / dials on my own. Like if I turn the LIVE reverb up to 70 - 80%... I hear a reverb effect... but it doesn't sound the way I want it to sound. If I put on a reverb by a third party, I get a more dramatic effect - depending on how good the plugin is. Sort of like that Multi Band Dynamice plugin... yeah, it's tweakable and you can make a whole rack of ish that'll have your CPU usage at 40% ... or you can get something like the PSP Vintage Warmer and have your CPU usage at 1% and it sounds better than tweaking all of those different plugins that "together" attempt to do what ONE good plugin can do.

It was "inspiring" to know your song is going to be nice and crisp when you're done, lol. Not kinda muddy and the only way to fix it is to "GET SOMEBODY ELSE TO MIX AND MASTER IT".

Give me a decent plugin that has the "no-brainer" effect where you just "turn this knob" and for $150 you don't have to think about much else.

Everything sounded separated and crisp.... ahhhh...

I had listened to, bought and installed the plugin in less than 15 minutes after I saw the post here.

I don't buy a lot of stuff unless it's really cheap.

Mostly from www.audiomidi.com

FL Studio has it's Panning laws(stereo dynamics)that give it the "thinner sound" until you turn them off.

Been using FL for years and always felt it had this thinner/softer sound I couldnt quite put my finger on I must say the pan law seems to be the culprit. IMO removing circle pan made a marked improvement on the sound. Respects and big thanks Deranged for the heads up as of today that shit remains off.

^^^I'm not sure why the guys at Image line think that sounds good, lol. In all fairness, because I went to Reason from FL, I have to pump the stereo in Reason as well, but you can make it so low freq sounds aren't effected in Reason. Wish FL had that option.

media.nl

http://www.vintageking.com/Neve-1073-CV

Mmmmmmmm... I'm getting all warm and fuzzy...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^I used to want shit like that so bad.

I'm the only person on Earth that does not like Vintage Warmer (1 or 2). It's O.K on drums.

Last edited:
^^^I used to want shit like that so bad.

I'm the only person on Earth that does not like Vintage Warmer (1 or 2). It's O.K on drums.

No you're not the only one. :)

But back to the topic, all the DAWs including Reason, has their own sound. It's up to the user how they would mix their stuff using their own DAW of choice to get "THE" sound that they would like to get. There is no better sounding DAW, coz to each his own anyways. It's all up to you, you just need to ADJUST. That's what I noticed from using Cubase, Reason, and Ableton Live. :)

So I was browsing around the web and noticed that A LOT of people were slamming LIVE's - summing bus - and said LIVE sounds like crap compared to other DAW's.

Most were audio engineers and the LIVE users / fans fought them tooth and nail. I had never run into this before but I did notice that REASON used to sound "BRIGHTER"...

Any thoughts on LIVE sounding DULL / UNINSPIRING ?

Only loss of quality I really notice is when I am warping loops (outside of tempo).

Usually using the complex algorithm fixes the issue.

Live really sounds no different than other DAWs. Actually it sounds pretty good and the songs I've mixed on it turns out great quality (but this is true of about any DAW).

Working with VST synths and drum samples, Live sounds great.

Hey Guys i think Ive found the answer to all this "daw coloring" crap ive done some experimenting myself i have 3 computers and it comes down to the fact some of the summing issues comes down to ur pc itself i have reason 5 & record and ive played the same beats through the same audio kontrol 1 audio interface/and krk 8's...and theres a noticeable difference on each computer and bottom line the faster the computer the clearer/accurate my beat sounded. they say even with mpcs they all have their own unique sound im starting to think this goes for ur pc as well.

if u have more than one computer u should try for urself.. my 3 computers were

1. my 2008 gateway desktop [ amd 4 core 4gb ram] (highs stick out, more hiss )
2. my 2009 asus g71 laptop [intel dual core 4gb ram](not bad sounding but lacked low-end)
3. my new 2010 hp pavilion elite hpe-410y [ amd 6core 8gb ram ] (clear crisp &warm, great low end)

win7 os on all computers

my theory is when ur cpu is mixing down ur track especially bouncing out tracks its asking alot out of ur cpu...and the better ur cpu keeps up with ur daw the truer the out come...my friend did the same with his laptops and he says the same thing

Last edited:
my theory is when ur cpu is mixing down ur track especially bouncing out tracks its asking alot out of ur cpu...and the better ur cpu keeps up with ur daw the truer the out come...

For this to actually happen, there would have to be intentional scaling down of the processing, by design, in the DAW software. Otherwise, there is absolutely no way the same computation would end up giving you a different result based on the speed of the computer.

In other words: no, it doesn't work like that :)

unless were talking about the actual sounds that come with Live there shouldnt be much of any difference. if youre running VSTs or AUs such as Minimoog or Kontakt in it and you are using similar volume settings you shouldnt be able to tell. I use Live and Protools and cant tell a diff...

I'll say it again, for emphasis: if you're warping a lot of stuff, transients are likely to get all mashed up, especially if you just rely Live to do everything automagically. Result: dulled-up sound. Solution: learn to use your software. It does do a lot of things effortlessly, but some things need a bit more attention from the user.

Computer Music magazine awnswered this question in one of their issues...it basically said the DAW WILL NOT MAKE a difference, its the plug ins and the knowledge you have of tweaking the sound.

i dnt know to much about live bu i do know about reason. the mastering suit does brighting the sounds up

Back